Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Dendroboard

Dendroboard (https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/)
-   Parts & Construction (https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/parts-construction/)
-   -   72G Bowfront Paludarium Build (https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/parts-construction/255186-72g-bowfront-paludarium-build.html)

thahemp 10-03-2015 12:39 AM

72G Bowfront Paludarium Build
 
11 Attachment(s)
I have been mining this board for info. for the last couple months as I build my first paludarium. It has really been a great experience so far. Time for a build thread.

I started out with a rough plan for this build. That all went out the window little by little as reality took over. There was so much that I was unaware of prior to starting construction. Rather than fight it, I just let the tank lead me as I went.

In the beginning...

I coated the back and sides with silicone. I also used egg crate to make a hidden area in the corner for the input to my XP-S canister filter.
Attachment 192578

I tried to mock up the pieces I planned to work with. I actually liked this layout, but it wasn't meant to be.
Attachment 192586

Once I started spraying GS, all my planning went out the window. This is where it turned from engineering project to more of an art project. Great stuff is a whole lot easier to work with than I thought it would be.
Attachment 192594

Attachment 192602

I decided to scrap my old idea for two false bottoms on PVC pillars and replace one land area with a large double pool waterfall. That's a lot of foam.
Attachment 192610

The carving begins. I used a power vibrating tool with a flat blade to carve most of the foam. Just a regular pocket knife for everything I couldn't reach with the power tool. I also had a bunch of sanding pads for the vibrating tool. Those came in handy as well.
Attachment 192618

Attachment 192626

I sprayed too much foam at once in the thicker spots. It left parts that didn't cure out until I started cutting and punched an air hole. There were several rounds of patching with more GS, recarving, etc. Eventually I got to where it was time to start sealing.

I did one coat of drylok, then went over the whole tank with clear, paintable silicone and filled in all the little air bubble holes in the foam. Then I did another coat of drylok. I mixed a little bit of dry moss into the drylok to give a bit of texture.

This pic is between drylok coats. You can see how bad my air pocket holes were.
Attachment 192634

I smeared black silicone in the water-holding areas of both of my waterfall pools, then covered them in black aquarium gravel. Nearly time for water testing!
Attachment 192642

I mixed 30lbs of red flourite and about 25lbs of coarse river gravel in this pic. The tank holds water and the water feature works as expected. First try! Beginner's luck I bet.
Attachment 192650

This is the last pic I can attach to this first post. Just a pic of the same configuration under the blue "night" LEDs.
Attachment 192658

thahemp 10-03-2015 12:55 AM

Re: 72G Bowfront Paludarium Build
 
3 Attachment(s)
So I decided I didn't like the false bottom land area. I just didn't have enough water depth in the tank to keep any good plants or fish. I was able to get three of the original PVC pillars out. The 4th one will just get hidden. It was foamed tight to the back wall.

Attachment 192666

I rearranged all the driftwood pieces and added 25 more pounds of coarse river gravel, then added the extra water depth. I think the tank has somewhere between 35 and 40 gal. in it now. Much better.

Attachment 192674

I went and bought a few starter plants to help me get this tank going. I think the grass is Dwarf Sagittaria, a couple cardinal plants, and some baby tears.

Attachment 192682

Now I'm just waiting for the tank to cycle. I tried some black skirt tetras, but they died within a few days of putting them in. I have literally zero experience with fish tanks. I have always been a reptile kind of guy.

I have an old 48" T8 reptile light and a 48" 12W LED light on the tank right now. I don't think it's going to be enough light for the plants. I have an old HID setup that I am going to make a hood for. I just need to replace the 400W bulb with something a little less intense.

Mr.Frog 10-05-2015 01:14 PM

Re: 72G Bowfront Paludarium Build
 
What do you plan on putting in there frog wise?

thahemp 10-06-2015 02:15 AM

Re: 72G Bowfront Paludarium Build
 
I don't think I can do frogs since the water body is so large and hard to get out of. I'm not sure what I'm going to put in the top side. I was originally thinking panther chameleon, but I don't think that is a good idea anymore either. I am open to suggestions.


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:57 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 11:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.