No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By lunger

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2015, 12:06 AM

Default Sherman Vent vs Flat Vent

Hello,

I am getting ready to replace my two 20 gallon tall verts as they have some crippling problems. I am thinking about adding a vent below the door this time. There seem to be many praises about the sherman vent but I am wondering what are some specific benefits to the sherman vent vs just using the window screen framing and making the vent out of that similar to how the top vents on verts are often made?

Thanks,
Nathan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2015, 01:13 AM

Default Re: Sherman Vent vs Flat Vent

I just went the route of making all of my tanks into sliding door tanks.. I used just a window screen vent up top and affixed the tracks to the bottom of that. With that being said, it was slightly cheaper not by much to be honest.. I should of bit the bullet and did the sherman venting. It just looks cleaner. I have a little condensation on the glass with 2.5" vents. All in all, I am not disappointed with our route, it just looks cleaner and more viewing space with the sherman vents.

A few thumbs and pums never hurt anyone
Old 06-20-2015, 01:41 AM

My plan is to use magnets for the door so that I can easily remove it. I have magnetic doors right now and they are working pretty well. Since I will not have a sliding door I am not sure if the sherman ventilation give me any benefit.

Old 06-20-2015, 05:57 AM
Mod

I've always used screen frame vents, and they have been very durable. I came up with a sliding-front vert design a few years ago that I really like.

It is fairly easy to replicate this conversion with a flip down door as well.
Old 06-20-2015, 07:18 AM

Another way of venting...if you don't mind drilling glass, is to drill holes in the top of your tank. Several along the front edge and then buy grommets and use no see um mesh. Fruit flies can't escape through the mesh, it looks clean because it is on the top of your tank, not obstructing your front viewing panel. I don't like anything on the front view. Most of us only have that one panel to view through, as we have multiple tanks side by side. I do everything I can to keep that one panel as void as possible of anything that will askew my view. Just find the plastic grommets online that are the size you want and then buy the glass drill bit. I have a big bag of grommets that should last me years and they were very cheap. Just another way to vent your tanks and ultra clean and stealthy. If you have questions just PM me and I can point you in the right direction.

Bruce
Azurel and Mohlerbear like this.
Old 06-21-2015, 01:04 PM

Here's what I do, basically exactly what lunger just explained ^^^^
The same reason why I do this is to keep it 100% viewable through the front tank. I don't dig the screen on top or bottom of look. I have a couple tanks like that and I'll never go back. Drill some holes and buy grommets like lunger explained. Total clear front view and there's really not ever any condensation. I have some small tanks that have fans running a few times to clear it up but honestly I'd be fine without the fans. I just had them laying around.
Here's some pics. Hope it helps.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434891847.168040.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1434891860.485605.jpg

Loading bowls and building vivs! Braaap!
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-22-2015, 06:50 PM

I have done the top vents on all of my tanks in the past. My current plan is to have a small vent like Dane suggested at the bottom of the tank and then drill my usual holes the top.
Old 06-22-2015, 07:07 PM

That should work nicely and still look clean. In theory, warm air should rise up along the viewing panel and escape out of the top vents keeping your front glass dryer than without. I skip the bottom vent only because I wired up computer fans (120 mm) and mounted them on my rack shelf above my tanks. Set them to low speed and space them apart every foot or so and that air helps keep the glass clear and the plants happy. It does create a bit of a dryer climate rather quickly in the tanks but nothing that the Mistking can't keep up with. If I find that I need to raise relative humidity inside the tanks I can just slow the fans down or turn them off completely. I'm looking into buying the Herpkeeper from Digital Aquatics with the humidity probe. This will automate my fans and be one less parameter I will need to watch for so much. If anyone has this unit and can comment on it from personal experience I would love to hear from you about it. Good or bad. Thanks
Old 06-23-2015, 05:23 PM

My current setup has two top vents that are connected via pvc pipe with two fans one facing each direction in the pcv. This way I can switch the direction of the airflow from time to time. I also get less of a humidity drop since it is a closed loop. What I have found though is that while the top of the tank dries out nicely the bottom still stays very wet. I am hoping the bottom vent will help provide a more uniform humidity in the tank.
Old 06-23-2015, 05:34 PM

I would think the bottom vent would certainly help to dry out your substrate/lower region of the tank. If you still have an issue though, maybe try an exterior fan like my setup. The air travels down the front glass keeping it clear, hits the substrate and keeps things dryer there, then travels back up the background and continues to circulate inside the tank keeping things moist but not soaked all of the time. Of course your local climate and room temp/humidity plays a part and then throw in the seasonal changes...you have to keep an eye on it from time to time to regulate what's going on in there. That is why I'm looking to automate. I'm hoping it will help keep things more stable over a longer period of time with less input from me and less fluctuation in the tank. I guess it's a wait and see...

Tags
sherman, vent, vert