Go Back   Dendroboard > Vivariums > Parts & Construction
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2007, 05:24 PM

Default Waterfalls and ponds

Does anyone have pics of their waterfalls and ponds. I'm trying to figure out how to build on went I start my vivarium.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2007, 05:32 PM
TWI/ASN

http://www.blackjungle.com/gallery2/...g2_itemId=3360

This should help. If you do a search in the forum under "parts and construction" you should find many discussions on waterfalls and or ponds. May I ask how big of a tank are you doing?
Old 10-15-2007, 09:37 PM

They are not easy let me tell you. My first vivarium I did smaller side, and no water feature to get practice, now I plan to construct a waterfall with grout.

Old 10-17-2007, 04:58 AM

Read this thread to cut down on frustration:

http://www.dendroboard.com/phpBB2/vi...<br /> <br />

If you want a waterfall do not use an irrigation manifold as on blackjungles tutorial.

If you click on my link to flickr below you can see my construction journal and waterfall. Its a real gusher now. I would say design one where it does not matter where it flows....as it will flow where ever it wants.

Good luck
Old 10-17-2007, 12:28 PM

Just out of curiosity why should you not use an irrigation drip manifold? I use one and its been up and running great for over 6 months?
Old 10-17-2007, 03:19 PM

I used one with 5 lines coming off of it. I had three going to my waterfall. The pump couldnt build enough pressure to get any decent flow out of it. The flow was just a slight trickle, more of a drip than a waterfall. I attached a 1/2in line directly to my pump to the top of the waterfall and it flows like a waterfall.

The irrigation manifold works but it didnt have enough flow for me.
Old 10-17-2007, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mywebbedtoes
http://www.blackjungle.com/gallery2/...g2_itemId=3360

This should help. If you do a search in the forum under "parts and construction" you should find many discussions on waterfalls and or ponds. May I ask how big of a tank are you doing?
The tank I am using is 36in wide, 16in deep & 18in high.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holidayhanson
I used one with 5 lines coming off of it. I had three going to my waterfall. The pump couldnt build enough pressure to get any decent flow out of it. The flow was just a slight trickle, more of a drip than a waterfall. I attached a 1/2in line directly to my pump to the top of the waterfall and it flows like a waterfall.

I had the same experience with a similar manifold with only 4 lines. It cut down the flow and created enough pressure to cause leaks at my connection points (which were all buried under Great Stuff!).

I'm going to rebuild my waterfall ala Holiday Hanson.
Old 11-22-2007, 03:42 PM

It can be easy to do...I have a utility sleeve pvc pipe through my bg which I routed the new hose. If you dont have this option you can coat your 1/2in supply line with silicone/coco to make it look like a vine. I always would test what you have in mind as true to how it will actually be set up permanently before making it final.

Good luck!
Old 11-23-2007, 07:24 AM

Unfotunately, I didn't have the foresight to include a utility pipe in my first construction. I had to pull out a sizable chunk of foam out already.

How would a utility pipe work? My pump line doesn't go straight up to the mouth of the waterfall.
Old 11-23-2007, 11:59 PM

Quote:

wouldn't that be solvable by just using a larger pump?
Old 11-24-2007, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfrog13
How would a utility pipe work? My pump line doesn't go straight up to the mouth of the waterfall.
My utility sleeve is an 1.5" pvc which keeps a passage from my pump filter container in the false bottom to the top of the tank. This sleeve is buried in my GS background. The electric cord for my pump and water line is routed through this sleeve or conduit. My water fall also does not start at the top of this sleeve but on the other side of the tank. The 1/2" water line starts at the pump, through the sleeve, across the back of the tank to the start of the waterfall. You can route the water line anywhere you need it to go...as long as it is not trying to pump too high you should be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaroba
Quote:

wouldn't that be solvable by just using a larger pump?
I tried the larger and more powerful pump thinking this was the issue. The more powerful pump was stronger yes, really loud yes, and too big yes....but still when routed through a drip manifold still produced drips. I think you could attach a garden hose to a drip manifold and it will still drip instead of flow. There could be leaking and pressure loss inside my GS background at the manifold joints...but still this is undesirable. I abandoned this whole plan. The MiniJet 606 is more than powerful enough to produce decent flow through a 1/2" line.

I would say to test your pump, line and flow before committing to your next design.