Dendroboard banner

some pics of my emerald newt terrestrial build build

4K views 34 replies 10 participants last post by  milla 
#1 ·
This is one of the more simple vivs, but I think it should do the job. I will post updates as it progresses. It will probably be a couple of months before I add the newts. I'm experiencing with a moss slurry and hygrolon with this one.

Attachments

See less See more
#9 ·
Love it!! First herps in my life, at a very young age, were Caudata and that order remains one of my favorites! Nice newts
Thanks. They where not very easy to acquire here in the states. They seem happy for now being kept in a sweater box, but these guys need to be on display. They are about 4 months old and feeding on dusted fruit flies, rice flour beetles, pinhead crickets, black soldier fly larvae, dwarf white isopods, springtails, and live black worms.
I plan to try breeding them eventually.
I have read that only half of their eggs are ever viable, as the species has a genetic defect of some sort.

#6 ·
What are the actual names for the newts? The scientific ones? I looked up emerald newt but didn't get anything. They look really nice and I like the setup. I've been thinking about doing another terrarium or paludarium and one of the animals i've been looking at is the newt.

#10 ·
...and that's why we don't encourage the use of common names

Those newts looks awesome!
I've seen pictures of them before but I don't know anything about them, are they demanding as far as temperatures goes?
They like it relatively cool 72-78 degrees with cooler night time temps of around 65-68 degrees. They can be kept aquatic as well with water temps of around 72-76. If kept they must have easy acess to the surface, they prefer slow moving water, and sould be supplied with cork and aquatic plant to get out of the water. Males also produce a large crest when kept aquatic.

#14 ·
Two weeks.
water has cleared, plants are growing, fern spores are starting to grow, moss is beginning to get color back, added a small tillandsia, moss mix(milkshake) growing great, and hygrolon is working better than expected. I'm glad I ordered this stuff. Also I am using 3-20w led lights that I got from tincman in the classifieds. 3 bulbs for this 40g vivarium is definitely overkill but these lights are great especially for the price. Moss is growing fast under these lights.

Attachments

#26 ·
Most people who don't know the scientific name also wont recognize the "common name" so I find its best to go, this is dendrobates auratus it is a type of poison dart frog. I am specifically leaving out any common name as to not encourage them to take a short cut and in most cases they weren't going to remember or know either name.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.