Insulating tank above from heat below? - Dendroboard
Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard > Vivariums > Parts & Construction
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2007, 05:18 PM

Default Insulating tank above from heat below?

I've got a wrought iron stand for two 20H tanks, one top one bottom. The top tank is currently a 25H (20H with a couple extra inches up top) occupied by some anthonyi. The tank has temps exactly where I want them, and is doing great! The problem comes from my potential "below" tank.

Mind you, the two tanks are in completely different places, so I'm not 100% sure this is where this tank will go, as I haven't compared it's dimensions to my 25s... this tank is originally from glass cages and I need to mearure it to see if it's the standard 30 gallon front opening (25" tall) or a custom size (basically what the height is) :roll: Right now mostly I need theory.

Assuming I can fit the tank on the bottom (where the front opening is needed for such a tall tank, otherwise I can't get in it) and the lights, I have a heat problem. Namely the fact that the tank is designed for small treefrogs, and the treefrogs going in the tank are going to need heat... I need to figure out how heat up one corner for some temp variations in the tank, and how best to keep the heat in the bottom tank and not warming up the top tank too much.

It's frustrating because it's the best, and one of the only, places I can put this tank. The TFs involved need more heat than room temp (72). I don't want to have to move the anthonyi to another tank... and if I put that tank on the bottom, I don't know if I'd have good enough access to it. I also don't really have another place to put these tanks because I have racks for the rest, and these tanks will not fit in the racks (and thus why I got the stand in the first place).

Ideas and thoughts welcome [/code]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2007, 06:49 PM

Default Re: Insulating tank above from heat below?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeroKero
Right now mostly I need theory.

Ideas and thoughts welcome [/code]
Plenty of theory I have!

I may have read between the lines too much (just had some really stiff coffee :shock: ) but I don't think I saw the option of putting the warm tank up top, and the cool one on the bottom mentioned...that would be what I'd do.
Of course, I know all too well that those double stands aren't all that flexible about what will fit where, and whether you're warm tank will fit on top and the cool one on the bottom etc.

If the cool one must stay on the top, you might try some of that foil faced bubble wrap insulation under the cool one, it would be ideal if you could provide an airspace between it and the tank as well.

It might work just fine to put a small fan blowing inbetween the two tanks.

Could you go with a slightly lower watt light up top if need be?
Old 07-27-2007, 07:07 PM

The light up top is a single bulb flourescent :lol: not much wattage at all!

Yeah I've been thinking about swapping them around, especially since I'm now thinking the front opening tank is too tall to fit on the bottom period. Most likely its the 30 gallon front opening tank which is 25" tall. A standard 20H, which the stand is build for, is 17" tall. A 25g, which is what the top tank is, is 21" tall... a tight fit that would be a pain in the ass, but would work.

I was thinking... hey! front opening tank! sweet! no worries about trying to get in the tank on the bottom! I also thought about the insulation having double purpose... keep the tank up top cool, and the tank below warmer. Ah, well, the anthonyi will likely enjoy being close to the floor, little buggers. Guess I'll have to put that into my plans and see how it works out

So... now the question is... how do I warm up the top tank more? LOL. I'm thinking about putting some thin insulating foam around it, lighting is currently undetermined but I was going to be cheap (the plants need nothing special) and need a heat lamp... probably something I'll keep on 24/7. Thoughts on lid design as well? Likely will do half screen, half glass/polycarb

Old 07-29-2007, 02:40 PM

try a fan. However, I purposely don't use a fan now on my tricolor tanks because the heat from the light warms both the tricolors below, and them betsileo above.
Old 07-29-2007, 03:52 PM

The problem is that the heat spot from the TF tank will be almost 25 degrees warmer than room temp which is perfect for the anthonyi... I don't think a fan would work with the heat lamp involved...

the tank is 24" tall like a 25g, so I'm just going to see if I can put the anthonyi tank on the bottom and work it like that. The heat from their light will help with the treefrogs at least :roll:
Old 07-30-2007, 01:08 AM

You could try a small halogen spotlight for the heatlamp, they produce a decent amount of heat, but its pretty focused.