Go Back   Dendroboard > Vivariums > Parts & Construction
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2007, 04:34 AM

Default Need some help finding those 36" T5 lights

I've been looking around for a good week or so online for those 36" (39 watt) single bulb T5 fixtures. I know Josh's frogs used to carry them, but he only carries the 24" version now.

I even made the trip to a local hydroponic store, who, of course only stocks the 24" and 48" versions. He can't even order the 36" versions for me.

I've found many sites selling the bulbs for reef tanks, but 10,000K bulbs just aren't what I'm interested in.

Does anyone know anyplace that sells the fixtures and bulbs between 5,500K and 6,500K. Preferably, getting both from the same place would be great, but in a pinch, finding the bulbs would be wonderful as I could always get a fixture from one of the reef sites.

Any help would be appreciated. I ran several searches and didn't really find much, it's probably out there right under my nose.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2007, 05:46 AM

I don't know about the fixture, but I use the 6000k 39w Midday bulb made by Giesemann (Powerchrome):

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant ... gory_Code=
Old 07-14-2007, 04:39 PM

http://www.thatfishplace.com has the Current t5 fixtures.
d. azureus 0.0.2

Old 07-16-2007, 01:29 AM

ReefGeek carries 3000K, 6000K and 6500K in 36" 39W T-5. Service is top notch!

http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/T5_Fluorescent/Bulbs/
Old 07-16-2007, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin415
ReefGeek carries 3000K, 6000K and 6500K in 36" 39W T-5. Service is top notch!

http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/T5_Fluorescent/Bulbs/

Thanks for all the help guys, it's appreciated. Looks like I've found a bulb. However, there's no way in hell I'm paying over 100 dollars + for a fixture. I've looked through all the links, and more and still can't find the individual fixtures? Any thoughts here?

2 bulb fixtures are really just over kill, as I'm not looking for that much light and don't want to pay to run it. Hooray for 50 cents per kilowatt.

Thanks again!

Edit:

Actually, would this fixture:

http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod/20 ... roduct.web

Be compatible with these bulbs:

http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/T5_Flu ... l_Electric

Ah, I'm so bad with lighting specifics. ops:
Old 07-16-2007, 05:21 AM

I have a 2x39watt (36") bulb fixture, and while it is bright, I would no way consider it overkill. I actually wish that I had gotten a 4 bulb unit for the brightness I felt would benefit my broms and orchids.

I'm not sure on compatibility but that first fixture you linked is a standard T5 fixture, while the bulbs are High Output T5s and are of a higher wattage (39w for 36" as opposed to 21w for 36").
Old 07-16-2007, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corpus Callosum
I have a 2x39watt (36") bulb fixture, and while it is bright, I would no way consider it overkill. I actually wish that I had gotten a 4 bulb unit for the brightness I felt would benefit my broms and orchids.
Ideally I would go for one of these, but for a row of 10 gallon verts, I think it's just too much light. Plus, the electrical costs around here at complete bs, and it costs our house 50 cents per kilowatt. I'm already running a lot of power due to all the lights, so I'd like to keep the numbers low.

However, if I didn;t have to deal with heat/finances, I would be running two/three bulbs.

For now though, I think one good bub with a nice reflector ought to be good.
Old 07-16-2007, 02:19 PM

aren't T5s the most energy conservant of most fixtures (minus overpriced LED fixtures), and don't they create the least heat?
d. azureus 0.0.2
Old 07-18-2007, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond
Thanks for all the help guys, it's appreciated. Looks like I've found a bulb. However, there's no way in hell I'm paying over 100 dollars + for a fixture. I've looked through all the links, and more and still can't find the individual fixtures? Any thoughts here?

2 bulb fixtures are really just over kill, as I'm not looking for that much light and don't want to pay to run it. Hooray for 50 cents per kilowatt.

Thanks again!

Edit:

Actually, would this fixture:

http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod/20 ... roduct.web

Be compatible with these bulbs:

http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/T5_Flu ... l_Electric

Ah, I'm so bad with lighting specifics. ops:
No, thatpetplace have T-5's which are normal output (21w) not the 39w High Output T-5's you're looking for. Plus with T-5's the most important part is the reflector. Reefgeek offers the best reflectors on the market for T-5's, don't skimp on these or your T-5's won't be used to full capacity.

Gotta pay if you want to play... Just bought 2 1000watt setups for the family reef tank... Next closest alternative to T-5's are PC's but the bulbs don't last as long, use more power and burn hotter. At 50 cents per Kilowatt you'll make it up in power usage and bulb replacement alone, just do the math.
Old 07-18-2007, 08:46 PM

1000 watts total from combined metal halide/T5 bulbs? or 1000watt Metal Halides? How deep is your tank if you used 1000w bulbs on it....
Old 07-18-2007, 08:53 PM

Quote:
No, thatpetplace have T-5's which are normal output (21w) not the 39w High Output T-5's you're looking for. Plus with T-5's the most important part is the reflector. Reefgeek offers the best reflectors on the market for T-5's, don't skimp on these or your T-5's won't be used to full capacity.

Thanks for the info on reefgeek, I'll check them out. I had been looking at DIY reef or something for reflectors.

I've actually found the fixtures/bulbs I want, and hopefully should be ordering those soon.

http://www.hhydro.com/cgi-bin/hhydro/HH00898.html

Now to make the choice as to what reflectors I should get...

http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/T5_Flu ... ght_Supply

Those would just get 'clipped' right onto the light...correct?

Thanks a lot guys.
Old 07-19-2007, 03:13 PM

Quote:
No, thatpetplace have T-5's which are normal output (21w) not the 39w High Output T-5's you're looking for.

Gotta pay if you want to play... Just bought 2 1000watt setups for the family reef tank... Next closest alternative to T-5's are PC's but the bulbs don't last as long, use more power and burn hotter. At 50 cents per Kilowatt you'll make it up in power usage and bulb replacement alone, just do the math.
1. they do have the T5 HO fixtures. i used to work there. they have the ones with the 2 39W bulbs (78W total) in a variety of spectrums.

2. that was what i thought about T5s. thanks for confirming. they're so much more cost efficient, and it's not like a terrarium has the lighting requirements of a reef tank.
d. azureus 0.0.2
Old 07-19-2007, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corpus Callosum
1000 watts total from combined metal halide/T5 bulbs? or 1000watt Metal Halides? How deep is your tank if you used 1000w bulbs on it....
1000w Metal Halides (two of them) on a 60x36x24 reef housed in 2 luminarc III's... We currently have 2 250w bulbs overdriven with an HQI ballast and it's not bright at all. No more screwing around, jumping to a total of 2000 watts in a 20K spectrum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond
Quote:

Thanks for the info on reefgeek, I'll check them out. I had been looking at DIY reef or something for reflectors.

I've actually found the fixtures/bulbs I want, and hopefully should be ordering those soon.

http://www.hhydro.com/cgi-bin/hhydro/HH00898.html

Now to make the choice as to what reflectors I should get...

http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/T5_Flu ... ght_Supply

Those would just get 'clipped' right onto the light...correct?

Thanks a lot guys.
Yes the reflectors clip right on to the bulbs. Can't tell in the picture but it looks like they might already include a reflector, certainly look into it. Great find!
Old 07-19-2007, 05:45 PM

Here's some shots of the current 250's from the back of the fish room...

And a front shot...

Corals will be added once the lights are upgraded...
Old 07-19-2007, 06:13 PM

I would have thought 400w halides would be enough for a tank of that depth, but I guess 1000watters couldnt hurt. Everything looks great and the luminarc III is a great reflector! Is that an anthony calfo style overflow along the back?
Old 07-19-2007, 07:38 PM

I didn't want to risk it. Nothing like buying a dual 250, then a dual 400 and still not have enough light, I figured I'd just jump to a dual 1000 and call it good.

The overflow is a Calfo-style overflow, when I built the tank I wanted to do an external but then I figured I'd get better surface skimming going coast to coast with a Calfo internal instead. Well almost coast to coast there are 6 inches on each end so I can get in there easier, plus it gives room for a pair of Tunze's which we'll need when the SPS forest is grown in...