Go Back   Dendroboard > Vivariums > Parts & Construction
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2007, 02:04 PM

Default my 1st vivarium *planning*

Alright, I now have a good idea of what I want and how to do it. I just need supplies now, but I have no clue what to get. I am using a 28g. Heres the list I have made so far:

aquaclear powerhead for waterfall:
http://www.petsmart.com/global/produ...N=2030138&Ne=2

ZooMed Eco Earth coco pack:
http://www.petsmart.com/global/produ...N=2030043&Ne=2

Ge silicone windows and doors I

some type of foam (if anyone could list a few that would help alot)

pvc spacers (what size of pipe should I buy, and how tall should I cut the pieces to?? 1 in., 2 in., etc.)

egg crate

those small baskets (where do you find them??)

sowing grid

I am lost on lighting.. I want something that can grow what everyone else can grow and cheap.... sorry for being so broad

here is my inspiration for the tank:
http://www.vivariaforums.com/forums/...read.php?t=156

Now comes the questions:
Will I need a filter, and of so what would you recommend?
What rate of flow should the pump be??
will I need a heater?
How tall should the false bottom be?
what should the substrate be composed of, and how deep?

I think that is it for now

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2007, 02:17 PM

Hi, and welcome to the board!

A ten gallon is going to be pretty limited in space - Id consider dropping the waterfall unless you are going with something 20gallons or larger. What kind of darts are you looking at getting?

You shouldnt need a heater, and the false bottom should be between 2-4 inches. Make sure you dont use straight coco bedding, it doesnt drain very well. Add orchid bark or horticultural charcoal to aid in draining. I also add leaves and long fibered sphagnum, and make it 2-3 inches deep. I then add a layer of long fibered sphagnum, then leaf litter, on top of that. Make sure to seed with tropical springtails to give frogs something extra to eat, and help handle waste.

I think Black jungle sells those little pots, as well as alot of the other supplies you're looking at. Joshsfrogs.com may, as well.

Id personally go with about half that lighting for a ten gallon, but then again, Id strongly consider going with at least a 20H, if not a 29g, as a first viv. I went with a 46g for my first viv, and still ran out of space.
Old 06-17-2007, 02:54 PM

well, it just so happens that I have 2x 28g tanks sitting around. I'll use one of those instead of a 10g.

Old 07-09-2007, 10:29 PM

help anyone??
Old 07-10-2007, 12:45 AM
TWI/ASN

First tank ever, skip the pump, I've made close to 5 different viv's all w/ the idea of a pump, waterfall, etc. but when I started to lay it all out I didn't want to waste space in my viv for a setup that would require access points for a pump. And, if you have really big hands you're gonna be wasting a lot of space b/c you NEED to be able to get to your pump in case something goes wrong(even w/ all the testing in the world something may still go wrong). So, if you want the false bottom height to be around 4" cut 1 1/2" pvc to about 3 1/2" long, each. Make enough pieces to support the weight of the materials going into the tank. Notch, and I mean cut at least 1/4 of the pvc on the bottom so water doesn't stagnate inside the supports. glue up your eggcrate to your supports, wire mesh and great stuff spray foam edges, etc. to keep any little frogs from getting under the false bottom. I wouldn't know about the filter, and I think Zach answered all of the substrate questions. Oh, and I have a "lights of America" spotlight I purchased at home Depot that I wired a cord to. It lights up my 29 gal nicely. But again that may change depending on your overall layout. No one person here has all the answers, we can only tell you what worked for us. There are many different factors that are going to change your setup. Good luck, keep posting, and try that Search feature. Once you get the hang of it you'll only be asking the rest of us for opinions, and such. Oh, and once again. Welcome to the Board! THere is really a wealth of info here. 8)
Old 07-10-2007, 01:00 AM

thanks for the help. This board is great! It was the only decent vivarium board that had a large community and no [email protected]%#'in spam! I will post pics of the tank I will be using so you may get a better idea of what I have to work with. I have a good idea of what I want to do but I will be doing plenty more research until I go at it.

I don't have big hands and still want to add a water feature like the one in the link I posted.

Also, I see people with fans, ducts, etc. Will I need any of those.

I'll be frequenting this forum more often as I have a good amount of time to work with.

thanks
Old 07-10-2007, 01:16 AM
TWI/ASN

I have to agree with the comments above, don't worry about a water feature for your first tank. I can almost guarantee you are going to want to build more than one after you finish this one. It certainly takes some trial and error with a vivarium. The tank you chose as your inspiration certainly sets high standards, it is one of my favorites too. But instead of trying to do everything you see there, take the basics. Use the excellent positioning of wood in your tank, plant placement, hills, rocks. When you start building it will be a natural process anyways, you are going to have to build around the wood you use and any plants you plan on highlighting. Check out blackjungle.com. They have a lot of vivs on there, in all kids of styles. They even have a section for building a water feature that is easy to follow, if you really want to go that way. Above all, look at as many pictures as you can. In fact, that would be an interesting thread, everyone’s favorite vivariums of all time...hmmm.
As far as lights, I use a CORALIFE, I like it a lot. It has a nice spectrum of light, and pretty cheap, but not cheapie.

Have fun! Let us see it too.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:00 PM
TWI/ASN

computer fans, are mostly used to attempt to cool off canopies, and remove fog from the front glass. Being this is your first viv, I'd consider purchasing two and power supplies for each. Just don't open the boxes, you may not even need them. You'll get a good idea as to what is going on with that as soon as you set up the tank and get it up and running.
A geat deal of this hobby is experimenting, trial and error. Something may honestly work great for my viv b/c of the variables I have here, those same variables may not exist for you so that same thing may not work for you. The further along you get, the more you'll see. Just do yourself a favor and try your best to be patient and not rush. 8)