Go Back   Dendroboard > Vivariums > Parts & Construction
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2007, 11:51 PM

Default broken 70 gal

My friend found a 70 gallon aquarium that was going to be thrown away but took it and is now giving it to me but it has a large crack in the bottom of the tank...and i was wondering if there is any way to fix the crack or if making a vert 70 gallon would be possible....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2007, 12:14 AM

If you stood it on end like a vert, is the crack all the way to the bottom? If it holds enough water as a vert, I say try it out!

www.socal-rc.com
Old 03-09-2007, 12:19 AM

If it's the bottom, I wonder if you could get a piece cut the same size and just silicone it on top of it. Im not sure exactly what to do to be honest, but it would be a great fix if you can find a way.

Old 03-09-2007, 12:23 AM

Frank - i haven't seen the tank yet but my friend just told me the bottom cracked all the way down...
would GS work in making a vert without any more cracking going on?
Old 03-09-2007, 12:33 AM

Yea, GS would be fine for a vert on a cracked tank of that size. Dustin's solution would work too. If it were my tank, I'd probably take it apart and replace it with plywood.

Old 03-09-2007, 12:34 AM

I had a 20 gal with the same problem. I siliconed a cheap piece of Plexiglas over it. Its working great.

good luck

nadine
Old 03-09-2007, 12:36 AM

Defaced i'm curious about the plywood could you explain how that would work....
Old 03-09-2007, 01:08 AM

Hey, I would do what sweety said, just get a piece of plexiglass and silicon it to it so no water can get through.

Curt.
Old 03-09-2007, 01:44 AM

Silicone doesn't always stick to Plexiglas or acrylic so well. I'd be wary of doing anything with that tank unless the broken piece is replaced with something. Why risk injury to yourself or loss of frog and the mess!

You could replace it with plywood as Mike mentioned. You would have to seal it with something to prevent moisture from getting in. There are quite a few threads on sealing wood I think. Anyway, good luck and be careful.
Old 03-09-2007, 04:35 AM

To elaborate on what John said, you'd cut the plywood to be the same size as the piece of glass you're replacing. Then you'd apply marine epoxy to the plywood to protect it from water. Once cured, silicone the top part of the tank to the plywood. -This reminds me, I've never done a silicone peel test on my marine epoxy, so this may not be a good idea. Let me know if you're really interested in going this route and I'll do that peel test.

Like John said, acrylic and silicone aren't real good together. In my experience, if you can get enough surface area, the two will bond enough to do the job. Luckily, broken panes of glass in a tank with an acrylic patch gives alot of surface area and there's very little stress being put on that joint, so they stay together nicely.

Old 03-09-2007, 11:42 AM

I'll save you that peel test...

Just use a scotch brite pad or very similar to scrub the surface of the epoxy after it has fully cured. You should do this under water to get rid of any chemicals left over after the curing process anyway.

The scuffed surface of the epoxy post scotch brite has held up fine for me for about 1 year @ 99% humidity. Of course mine isn't a structural member.

I think you should be fine going about this method. If it were me, it would be the only way I would use that tank, but that's just my $.02. My concern is that in a verticle position, the back (previous bottom) of the tank becomes an inadvertent support for the tank. Even if it isn't needed to hold the tank up, there would be physical stresses put on it. If left as is, any slight bump from either side might break the glass further and it might get ugly quick. If there's an engineer around, they could probably speak to this potential better than I.

Good luck, and post a construction journal! That would be 8)
Old 03-09-2007, 01:38 PM

Just as a thought I have no idea if this would actually work:
It may be possible to use a couple of layers of something like hardvare cloth with the GS to give it more strength and support the back. Same idea as fiberglass. There is also a couple of options for leaving the glass in place in supporting it from the outside such as bonding a piece of plywood over it. You'd get the support of the plywood but wouldnt have to worry about epoxying it to make it waterproof (and removing the broken piece of glass which could be troublesome). just a couple of ideas nothing I've ever tried

www.thedartfrogblog.com
Old 03-10-2007, 11:16 AM

if its gonna be a vert, and the back will be covered with great stuff anyway, coulden't you just put a couble thick lines of silicon over the crack on the inside fo the tank? then after it sets, set up like you normally would.
Old 03-10-2007, 03:30 PM

hmmm i think i will switch the 70 gallon with one of my lizards and make a 40gallon vert instead to not risk it