Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By nonliteral

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2014, 03:43 AM

Default Ecoxotic E Series Full Spectrum LEDs or the Current Satellite?

Here is a link to the lights in question. They are really stunning.

E-Series Full Spectrum LED

and here is the Current Satellite for reference
Satellite Freshwater LED+ | Current-USA

Thinking about dropping the cash to pick up one of these bad boys for my 18x18x24. If not this light then I'm thinking the Current Satellite. I've seen Dendro Dave mention these several times so I'm guessing it could be a really cool option with awesome FX.... (I get the idea that you really like the FX Dave ). I think they just came out at the end of May.

Anyone buy one of these yet? Anyone have any thoughts about this vs the Current Satalite? What do you guys think? Viable option as a stand alone light?

-Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2014, 04:17 AM

Default Re: Ecoxotic E Series Full Spectrum LEDs or the Current Satellite?

I added the E-Series over a couple shelves on my racks last week. They do a nice job of lighting the vivs, although they do run a bit warm. I like the color rendition; it's a little early to say how well they do in keeping broms red.

The timer/ramp up/ramp down/moonlight is handy, but the special effects don't add a whole lot for me. You can push a button and let it go through it's "storm" cycle, but after you've seen it once, it's kind of boring.
Bcs TX likes this.
Old 06-18-2014, 06:18 PM

Ya i dont really care about the storm cycle stuff. I love the color options and the ability to do sunrise, mid day, sunset, and whatever else i can cook up. I am worried that you say they run hot though. Summer here in SoCal is not too kind. The light output seems great when you look at the numbers side by side to the Current model.

Is anyone using the Current Satellite? Would you say these run hot or cool? Would you buy it again?

Old 06-18-2014, 08:11 PM

The temp issue isn't terrible, a person just needs to be aware of it -- if you sat them flush against the top of a small viv in a room that had no circulation, it might be a problem. It's probably much less heat than you'd get out of a comparable fluorescent fixture, but those you'd be a lot less inclined to sit right on top of the viv, while this is constructed for mounting low over an aquarium by default.

I've found that if I suspend them about five inches over the viv, it helps get light into the upper corners, plus most of the heat dissipates without going into the viv. Doing some quick spot testing with a heat gun, the E-Series fixtures are running about 10 - 12 degrees (F) over ambient, and (with the fixtures mounted 5" above) I'm getting about 2 degrees (F) of temp climb in upper parts of the vivs.

This is in a room with a ceiling fan running on "medium". Running a small computer fan down the length of the fixture would probably work as well or better.
Old 06-19-2014, 02:22 PM

I have the current fixture, and I liked it so much I bought a second! But....mine are both over freshwater tanks, so...

I do love the color adjustments however, because you can set four custom settings for each tank in addition to everything else already programmed. I also enjoy and use the dusk, dawn, night, and cloud features. My friends love the storms and remote, lol.

You do have to manually change from dawn to day to dusk again though with this one, so if you're looking to just set it and forget it on a timer and have it ramp, it's not going to do that for you.

I don't notice the heat, but I have it sitting on open top aquariums with no canopy and plenty of ventilation (it's slim and sexy, so it looks nice as is).
Old 06-25-2014, 02:14 PM

E Series is on sale...
Ecoxotic E-Series Full Spectrum LED Light Fixture: LED Aquarium Lighting

(Gotta put it in shopping cart to see sale price. Sadly looks like the 24" is most popular and they didn't lower the price on it as it is still 189 even when added to shopping cart and "on sale" )
Old 07-10-2014, 06:46 AM

Aquascape Depot had a coupon sale for 10% off on all products. So picking up the Ecoxotic E Series is there as well plus free shipping over $200.

code was: 10after4thsale2014