Go Back   Dendroboard > Vivariums > Parts & Construction
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2007, 09:17 PM

Default help me build an Azureus paradise...*Updated pics Feb 2nd*

I read the top ten mistakes thread and people were talking about not asking enough questions when you're getting started. So rather than start a new thread, I'm going to edit this old one and post the new pictures of all the goodies I got last night! I bought this tank on recommendations from people on this board who said it would be a great dart tank. So thanks, I think I got an amazing deal! I paid $100CDN for everything you see below including delivery.

I filled the tank with about 2" of water last night to test for leaks. The only thing I should tell you that you can't see in the pics is it has an AquaGlo 20Watt fluorescent blub in the light hood. Any recommendations for upgrading that?

I've got my plans all drawn up and I think I have a course of action for the GS and silicone scoped out, though that's the part I'm most nervous about. I'm going to try to make an interesting landscape with multiple levels to make up for the lack of depth in the tank. The tank's dimensions are 30Lx12Wx20H.

My question is about those filters. I know little to nothing about filters and they look to be the type you mount on the side your aquarium, rather than the submersible kind. Can I use either one/both of these in a sump to siphon/filter and run the small water feature? As I've mentioned in a previous post I'd like to use a similar set up to this post for my water feature/sump/filtration: http://www.dendroboard.com/phpBB2/vi...ghlight=gallon

Thanks very much for your input, I'm excited to get going!

Cheers.

Mike Smith

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2007, 10:02 PM

This was my Azureus paradise until the tank died. I always found it interesting that the frogs were normally in the upper half of the tank.

http://dendroboard.com/coppermine/th....php?album=767

"This hobby is about 10% what you know, and 90% experimentation." - Lon Heim (DartMan)
Old 01-29-2007, 11:45 PM

r.i.p 75gal :cry:
what kind of moss was that growing in there?

Old 02-02-2007, 07:24 PM

bump for update
Old 11-19-2007, 01:06 AM

Finally, some progress on this tank! I bought myself an early Xmas present at Rona today - a Dremel! Damn is it sweet! I blasted through my egg crate cutting in no time. I even roughened up the bottom of my false bottom supports in preparation for siliconing them to the bottom of the tank. Check it out:

Pump access will be inside a little cage I made behind the right hand piece of wood. There will be two output lines run from the pump to the left hand piece of wood, which will drip into the pond.

Nothing is attached yet - just getting placements organized!

Comments or criticisms? :P :?:
Old 11-20-2007, 06:44 PM

I would suggest more light. Around 60 watts. That's the one thing I wished I would have done a long time ago.

Also are you going to use silicone or black paint to hide the false bottom? If not I would cut away another section of the eggcrate so it is not flush with the front glass. This way you can put rocks in front of it to hide the whiteness of the eggcrate. Build a small wall on the front of the eggcrate to keep the rocks from falling down underneath it. Extend the screen down to the wall as well. That is how I did mine.

Then I added some gravel.

This way it appears to be full of gravel but still has the benefit of a false bottom, which also makes it much lighter and cheaper.
Old 11-24-2007, 12:39 AM

Sorry skronkykong, I must have missed your post...Thanks for taking the time to post those pics.

I decided a while ago to leave my false bottom visible. None of my friends keep darts (yet!), but I wanted to be able to show them how I constructed the tank. For that reason, I'm leaving the eggcrate flush with the front glass and I won't be painting or siliconing to obscure the view under the eggcrate.

In the future, I'll definitely favour esthetics's...but for now, I want to be able to show people how I've done things...

Thanks very much for your suggestions. 8)
Old 11-24-2007, 02:29 AM

nice tank keep the pics comeing.