Go Back   Dendroboard > Vivariums > Parts & Construction
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2014, 02:31 AM

Default Making tank verticle or other options Help

I am debating about getting a 150 gallon tall tank. The ones that are 4ft by 2ft by 31 in. If I get one I was curious if anyone has done a DIY and made one vertical or if it is unheard of to cut off the front glass piece and make a sliding door. I have thought about making a tank from scratch but I thought it may be easier to start with one and go from there. Any help or experienced suggestions are welcome.

I want a front opening tank but am not having the best luck finding a used exo terra any ideas would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2014, 10:41 AM

Default Re: Making tank verticle or other options Help

It would have to be a S&D or damaged tank for me to cut the front off. Something I wouldn't put fish in.

You could try Protean or V-Scape and see what there prices are for a tank your looking for.

I like Exo's, minus the front vent and I don't have flies...
Dendrobates l Ranitomeya
Old 03-27-2014, 03:42 PM

Thanked 1,765 Times in 1,295 Posts

Here is a plan for you, to turn an existing tank into a vert, without cutting any panes out. http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/par...onversion.html
This one was done to a 40 breeder, making it 3 feet tall when finished. Lighting a 3 foot tall viv without overheating it, presents it's own set of problems. That will be exacerbated with your additional foot of height. Make sure you take that into account if you proceed. An expensive, custom LED fixture may be your best option.

Old 03-27-2014, 06:44 PM

Doug,

Like you said if I use a 150 gallon and turn it into a vert it will be 4 ft tall. Is it a necessity to get light all the way to the bottom? Obviously some rays will make it that far but would this only be a problem if I wanted plants on the bottom. Is there any other reason to have full intensity light at the bottom?

Does anyong know if the tank hold up ok being set on it's side and not being designed for that kind of pressure?

Is there a rule of thumb for how big of a tank you can convert to a vert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumilo View Post
Here is a plan for you, to turn an existing tank into a vert, without cutting any panes out. http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/par...onversion.html
This one was done to a 40 breeder, making it 3 feet tall when finished. Lighting a 3 foot tall viv without overheating it, presents it's own set of problems. That will be exacerbated with your additional foot of height. Make sure you take that into account if you proceed. An expensive, custom LED fixture may be your best option.
Old 03-27-2014, 08:54 PM

The glass on a 150 gallon will probably be thicker than anything a vivarium builder would use so it should be fine so long as you keep it good and level.

The light does not need to be bright anywhere you are not growing plants.

Also just make sure its not tempered on the sides. I don't think they do it for those aquariums but you never know.

Another issue is it will be a somewhat deep vivarium for viewing you may want to consider making the largest surface the main viewing surface and making the open area a side access area. Would probably look better.
Old 03-27-2014, 10:05 PM

Good ideas thanks for the input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pubfiction View Post
The glass on a 150 gallon will probably be thicker than anything a vivarium builder would use so it should be fine so long as you keep it good and level.

The light does not need to be bright anywhere you are not growing plants.

Also just make sure its not tempered on the sides. I don't think they do it for those aquariums but you never know.

Another issue is it will be a somewhat deep vivarium for viewing you may want to consider making the largest surface the main viewing surface and making the open area a side access area. Would probably look better.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonphelps View Post

Does anyone know if the tank hold up ok being set on it's side and not being designed for that kind of pressure?
I had a 5 ft 125 gal tank standing vertical in my garage for 2 years without issues. The glass thickness is probably the same as your tank. My tank is now horizontal in my living room and I don't see any residual effects from standing it on it's side for so long.

Tags
build, conversion kit, exo terra, tank