Go Back   Dendroboard > Vivariums > Parts & Construction
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2014, 11:25 PM

Default 49 gallon bowfront build. First build bigger than a 10 gsllon

Hi! I am nick and this is my first post on dendroboards. I wanted to do a larger build than my basic 10 gallon tanks to sit in my livingroom and look at after work. I know everyone says waterfalls and ponds can be a pain and probably should be left out of a first real build. I am the type that needs to learn lessons for himself and create headaches though haha! Eventually I would like this tank to house Leucs on the land section and some shrimp and maybe neon tetras in the planted water side.

After cleaning the tank and laying down a layer of silicone everywhere there would be Great Stuff Foam and building up the devider. I needed to put in a section of eggcrate and the tank on its side to build it up. After drying I tried to carve in some natural looking steps to make it easier to escape the water if any frogs fall in.

Next I coated the devider and terrarium floor around it with multiple heavy layers of silicone to ensure it stays water tight. I also started playing with the layout and placement of my backround branches, duct work and a section of pvc pipe to run a powerhead power cord and the intake line for a canister filter. This pipe will be behind where the wartefall will go. next I started foaming in the background after this I added in more foam around the ductwork to give it a more natural look and put in a bunch of foam for the waterfall. I will get some pics of that and the background after I am finished with the carving and have siliconed it over. Then the stress of awater test to make sure the sections stay segregated will be next!

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2014, 11:31 PM

Default Re: 49 gallon bowfront build. First build bigger than a 10 gsllon

Comments and especially criticisms are welcome and encouraged!

Old 03-13-2014, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickaconite View Post
Hi! I am nick and this is my first post on dendroboards. I wanted to do a larger build than my basic 10 gallon tanks to sit in my livingroom and look at after work. I know everyone says waterfalls and ponds can be a pain and probably should be left out of a first real build. I am the type that needs to learn lessons for himself and create headaches though haha! Eventually I would like this tank to house Leucs on the land section and some shrimp and maybe neon tetras in the planted water side.

After cleaning the tank and laying down a layer of silicone everywhere there would be Great Stuff Foam and building up the devider. I needed to put in a section of eggcrate and the tank on its side to build it up. After drying I tried to carve in some natural looking steps to make it easier to escape the water if any frogs fall in.

Next I coated the devider and terrarium floor around it with multiple heavy layers of silicone to ensure it stays water tight. I also started playing with the layout and placement of my backround branches, duct work and a section of pvc pipe to run a powerhead power cord and the intake line for a canister filter. This pipe will be behind where the wartefall will go. next I started foaming in the background after this I added in more foam around the ductwork to give it a more natural look and put in a bunch of foam for the waterfall. I will get some pics of that and the background after I am finished with the carving and have siliconed it over. Then the stress of awater test to make sure the sections stay segregated will be next!

Looking good nick! I just joined dendroboard a couple weeks ago too. I am working on my 36 gallon bow front right now. I hope to have most of it done this weekend. Keep up the good work and continue to post updates!

Old 03-13-2014, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohlerbear View Post
Looking good nick! I just joined dendroboard a couple weeks ago too. I am working on my 36 gallon bow front right now. I hope to have most of it done this weekend. Keep up the good work and continue to post updates!
Thanks Mohlerbear! I will try to get some more pictures up today of the progress. Going to have to wait a bit to buy more silicone and peat to finish off the background. It ia getting there though! Do you have a thread any pics of your currrent bowfront build you are alking about?