No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Dale D

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2014, 03:41 AM

Talking Noob's First Vivarium Build

Hello everyone!
This is my first post on this or any forum so, Hello. My name is Lincoln. Feel free to call me Lincoln, Haryeti or Link. A couple of weeks ago I decided to get into the vivarium hobby. I was inspired by Grimm's Peninsula build and his attention to balance and placement within his viv. You can really tell he used to photographer's eye when deciding on placement. I have been keeping a reef tank for several years and I've also had a great deal of experience with spray foam since I'm naturally a maker of things. I made a big daddy costume *cough* that I never finished *cough* from the video game Bioshock and it was composed greatly of spray foam. (I learned to hate the stuff)

Video of the big daddy if you're interested.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwMAV-WtRR0

I'm currently in the planning stage of my vivarium build and I'm hoping you guys can help me along the way. I've already read a whole bunch on the forum so I've already learned a lot.

I have an old 20"high by 18"wide by 48"long 75 gallon that I'm planning on using.

My current mission is searching for a light fixture for this tank. I actually already have a 2x175watt Hamilton Tech metal halide fixture with an additional 110watts of fluorescent lights but I'm looking to buy an LED fixture for my tank. I'm a student living with my parents and my dad is already unhappy with the power consumption of my reef tank. I was looking at buying one 48" Finnex Ray 2 fixture but since I have no experience in keeping terrarium plants, I don't know if it's good enough. I know I'll need to be more specific in what I want to keep as far as plants but at this point I don't know. So I want to know if this fixture is good enough to keep my options open.

I plan on basing a lot of what I do on the Peninsula build since Grimm was so happy with it and I love how it looks.

Thanks in advance guys.
I'm excited to post actual progress but that won't likely happen until spring.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2014, 04:41 AM

Default Re: Noob's First Vivarium Build

Welcome to the forum.
Have you been on the Canadart forum yet?
There are a lot of current and former reef keepers in the PDF hobby.
The lighting needs and set ups are pretty much the same in the 2 hobbies, just different light spectrums.
I have 2 of the Finnex 48" LED fixtures over one of my tanks and am very happy with them so far.
DorisSlammington likes this.

Tags
canada, finnex, newbie, vivarium build