Do you think bulkhead fitting are necessary for misting syst - Dendroboard
Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard > Vivariums > Parts & Construction
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Poll Results: Do you think bulkhead fitting are necessary for misting systems?
Absolutely necessary 2 25.00%
Would work fine without 6 75.00%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2006, 04:06 PM

Default Do you think bulkhead fitting are necessary for misting syst

I知 putting together my misting system and was wondering this. I値l be using John Guest type 1/4" quick connectors. Why couldn稚 I just use a short piece of tubing through the glass with a T or L above connecting to my nozzle below? There are bulkhead fittings available in this line but what would I gain from them? Bulkheads would give more support at the pass through but I値l only have a couple of Ls and the nozzle past the glass. Bulkheads would require a larger hole in the glass than would be necessary for the 1/4" line; if it would be better, I could go up to 3/8 through the glass and back down to 1/4" for the rest of the system. Maybe put little rubber flat washers around the tube above and below the glass between the fittings to make a better seal if I don稚 have a bit the exact size for the tubing. The connection points on the fittings are rated for at least 100 psi so I would think they would be strong enough to support the nozzles.

Thoughts?

Advertisement

Old 10-22-2006, 04:15 PM

The rainmaker system uses this technique. I think bulkheads are totally unnecessary.

Old 10-26-2006, 12:50 AM

Could you lay a small bead of silicone around fittings, enough to seal, but could be broke if necessary?

Old 10-26-2006, 02:25 AM

The fittings wouldn't need any extra sealing, they are self sufficient. My concern was fruit flys possibly getting out through any space around the tube through the glass. A wide rubber washer with a small hole for the tube above and below the glass, between the fitting would be sufficient I think. No need for silicone, overkill.
Old 10-26-2006, 11:34 AM

your right that would be overkill
good idea.
i have seen misters that have a small piece of glass glued in front of the mist head to delfect the water and thus prevent build up of algae on front door.
Old 10-26-2006, 12:56 PM

One thing a bulkhead does provide is some separation and buffering of the tubing from the glass. There will be some movement of the system/tubing each time the pump turns on and off. Over time this movement could cause the tubing to wear, and fairly quickly if it was rubbing up against the sharp edge of a piece of glass. I would at the very least make sure to grind off the edges of the glass hole for your set up. Additionally, I'd probably make the hole a little bigger and pass the 1/4" tube through another short piece of slightly larger and softer hose to absorb some of the shock as the pump steps on and off. The softer hose would also act to seal the hole.

EricG.NH

Live in New England? Join NEFG now!
Old 10-26-2006, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pl259
One thing a bulkhead does provide is some separation and buffering of the tubing from the glass. There will be some movement of the system/tubing each time the pump turns on and off. Over time this movement could cause the tubing to wear, and fairly quickly if it was rubbing up against the sharp edge of a piece of glass. I would at the very least make sure to grind off the edges of the glass hole for your set up. Additionally, I'd probably make the hole a little bigger and pass the 1/4" tube through another short piece of slightly larger and softer hose to absorb some of the shock as the pump steps on and off. The softer hose would also act to seal the hole.

EricG.NH
I値l be drilling the holes with diamond bits so I don稚 suspect there will be any sharps but I will make sure to smooth the edges. If I size the hole so the tubing is snug as it slides through I don稚 think wear would be an issue as there would be no play for rubbing. If I don稚 have the exact size bit for the tubing, putting a sheath around the supply tube passing through the glass would be a good idea; I could use latex tubing with a larger bit until the size combination was right.
Old 10-26-2006, 03:42 PM
TWI/ASN

A bulk head also holds the mister tight. The majority of the noise of misting systems is created from the vibrating hoses and fittings. With your a bulkhead I would suspect a lot of vibrating noise.

Frog Room ~~ TWI ~~ Collecting Fecal Samples 101 ~~ Drilling Glass DIY
Old 10-26-2006, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason
A bulk head also holds the mister tight. The majority of the noise of misting systems is created from the vibrating hoses and fittings. With your a bulkhead I would suspect a lot of vibrating noise.
Another good point. Since I'll be making sure it is a snug fit for the pass through to keep it from vibrating to prevent wear, this should prevent the noise problem as well.