Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard > Vivariums > Parts & Construction
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2006, 04:44 PM

Default Any reason not to use a standard plastic aquarium top?

I'm setting up a viv for my school, and it will save us some money if I can just buy one of those aquarium top and light combos. However, the top is made of plastic. Will this warp or be problematic given the conditions of the frog tank?

I would prefer a glass lid, but it is much more expensive to buy the flourescent light and the lid seperately.

What do you all think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2006, 04:53 PM

for one thing they are pretty easy to get out of (if you are the frog).

the second negative is the lighting. if you want to keep any thing that needs much light, then the light for the gheneral purpose hoods isnt going to be enough. those hoods arent really condisive for adding another light either.

however if you arent going to be housing frogs (and just low light plants), it could work.
Old 10-05-2006, 05:02 PM

The tank will house 2 azureus. Why would this top be easy for frogs to escape from if I make sure there is a good seal on all sides?

Do you have any suggestions for a better lighting option that is affordable? I know that the compact fluorescents are the best, but they are pretty pricey. What about the "fluorescent" bulbs that screw into incandescent fixtures?

Old 10-05-2006, 06:24 PM

i cant see how you would be able to seal it 100% and still be abel to ope the lid. there is always a gap at the back of the door (or atleast there was back when i used them. maybe the newer ones are designed better than the older ones. i have to admit i havent looked at one in at least a couple of years. i cant imagine they changed that much, because they didnt for the 20 before that :lol:

even though azs are terrestial dont put it past them to climb right up to the top of the glass with no problems at all. as long as you can ensure that there isnt any way out, the lighting is the only drawback.

the screw in type flourescents are a great affordable option. the fixtures for them are pretty cheap and replacement bulbs are real cheap. i would look into those as an option.

also check for a local glass shop. you can usually get two pieces cut for less than half the price of a pet store glass lid. my LPS charges like $35 for a standard 12x30" lid (for 20L, 29s, and 37Hs), but the local glass shop cut me four pieces (for two lids) for under $30. i usually just subtract 1/8" from the inside dimensions of the lip of the tank. i make the section in front large enough to get a FF culture into and viola! a lid.
Old 10-05-2006, 06:26 PM

Thank you for the advice!
Old 10-05-2006, 06:32 PM

I actually found a pretty good price locally on one of those glass tops sold at pet stores...As long as there are no openings, there's no chance that a dart frog could push the plastic strip up, could it?

The way those lids work, is that it's two pieces of glass joined with a hinge, but then there's a 2-inch or so gap that is sealed by a clear plastic piece. It fits snugly over the terrarium top, but I just want to make sure that frogs aren't strong enough to push it up.
Old 10-05-2006, 06:56 PM

Someone not but a few weeks ago lost a frog because it excaped through the plastic strip.

Old 10-05-2006, 08:44 PM

That sucks. What type of frog?
Old 10-05-2006, 08:50 PM

I can't seem to find the thread right now, but I want to say it was a Tinc complex frog.

Having lost an Azureus about two weeks ago to excaping, I would highly recommend getting a solid glass top and either don't use a hinge, or look at some of the alternative hinge ideas that have been posted (living hinge and clear packing tape immediately come to mind)

Old 10-06-2006, 02:12 AM

That should work just fine. Just tape down the plastic part to the rim of the tank. That's pretty close to what most of us use. The plastic piece is there just so you can drill holes in it for power cords or air tubing (if you were using it as a fish tank. The rest of the lid is identical to our DIY glass lids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tflanag1
I actually found a pretty good price locally on one of those glass tops sold at pet stores...As long as there are no openings, there's no chance that a dart frog could push the plastic strip up, could it?

The way those lids work, is that it's two pieces of glass joined with a hinge, but then there's a 2-inch or so gap that is sealed by a clear plastic piece. It fits snugly over the terrarium top, but I just want to make sure that frogs aren't strong enough to push it up.
Old 10-06-2006, 11:44 AM

i use those lids too. i do tape the plastic strip in the back down, and i usually stick a little in the ends of the hinge also. if you look at them where they rest on the rim of the tank, a small 3/16x3/16 or so gap is created by the hinge. i wount be too worried about a tinc getting out of it, but FF definatly, and thumbnails more than likely could.
Old 10-06-2006, 04:51 PM

for the lid on mine, i just went to home depot and bought a solid peice of glass...cut it to fit the tank, and then build a frame around it with wood, and used some liquid nails to glue the glass to the frame...worked out pretty good, and it cost me about 9 dollars....

nick
Old 10-09-2006, 08:03 PM

Default hey

it was me with those plastic strips. i lost a no-dot citronella. damn
Old 10-10-2006, 02:11 AM
Administrator

A glass lid and light is not much more and depending on the size of the tank about the same. Too many frogs have been lost with the hoods, and ffs will be everywhere.