Go Back   Dendroboard > Vivariums > Parts & Construction
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2006, 02:00 AM

Default custom built tanks

i've been building custom tanks to house my thumbs for about a year now. they're a little bigger than 10 gal verts. the dimensions are 12x12x20. i have considered trying to sell them, but first i want to try an determine if there is a need for them in the hobby or would people rather buy exo terras and make ten verts. there was a thread posted on these tanks a while back by my freind Landon who got a few of these tanks from me. the thread didn't seem to spark too much interest but i think alot of new members have joined since then, so i'm hoping it will get a better response

these tanks come with a 3 in screen on the top front, they have a single front opening door with hinges on the side. they include a hole in the bottom to fit a half inch bulkhead and a hole on the top for a misting nozzle(holes would be optional). they are made of 1/8 inch glass on the sides and top and 1/4 inch glass on the bottom. they are also completly fruitfly proof. i'm thinking about selling them for arround $65 and then adding $7 per hole drilled.

i am also considering building custom tanks to meet individual specifications such as demensions, screen preference, holes drilled and door placement(double doors would be an option also). would anyone be interested? the prices would vary.

here's some pics of what the 12x12x20 looks like

please post some feedback. all questions are welcome.

Thanks, Kevin
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2006, 03:07 AM

If you just knocked the width down so 4 could fit on a 48" rack, you'd really increase your market.

"This hobby is about 10% what you know, and 90% experimentation." - Lon Heim (DartMan)
Old 09-08-2006, 03:13 AM

Are they all glass or combo with acrylic?
And posting a price would help.

Old 09-08-2006, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by defaced
If you just knocked the width down so 4 could fit on a 48" rack, you'd really increase your market.
thanks for the sugestion.
Old 09-08-2006, 03:29 AM

I need a price.
Old 09-08-2006, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfrog
Are they all glass or combo with acrylic?
And posting a price would help.
they are all glass. i have not decided on a price yet. i just want to find out if there's a need for them in the hobby before i decide to sell them. i understand that it is hard to decide if you would be interested in somthing if you don't know how much it costs. all i can say is that they would be reasonable priced taking in to consideration that they come pre drilled. and the price would vary depending how many holes if any are drilled

Kevin
Old 09-08-2006, 03:41 AM

How about a tank that is 18" tall 10" wide and 16" deep? One hole drilled. Any idea?
Old 09-08-2006, 03:46 AM

If by reasonable you mean $5 each, I'll take one hundred of them. But if you mean $200 each, go pound sand!!
You can't ask people if they are interested in something if you are not even going to give a price. You have to know what they are worth, you built them. Give us a ballpark figure, if not, NO , I AM NOT INTERESTED!!!!
Old 09-08-2006, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfrog
If by reasonable you mean $5 each, I'll take one hundred of them. But if you mean $200 each, go pound sand!!
You can't ask people if they are interested in something if you are not even going to give a price. You have to know what they are worth, you built them. Give us a ballpark figure, if not, NO , I AM NOT INTERESTED!!!!
i'm thinking about selling them for arround $ 65 and adding $7 per hole drilled.
Old 09-08-2006, 04:28 AM

I would definitely buy at least one depending on the shipping and handling charges.
Old 09-08-2006, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gturmindright
I would definitely buy at least one depending on the shipping and handling charges.
i will try to figure out what the shipping would be.

thanks for the feedback

Kevin
Old 09-08-2006, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gturmindright
How about a tank that is 18" tall 10" wide and 16" deep? One hole drilled. Any idea?
that would be about the same volume as the12x12x20, so it would be priced about the same. do you like the single door or do prefer double doors.personally i like the single door because of the unobstructed view
Old 09-08-2006, 05:19 AM

i like the single i door, when are finances are bit better id probally buy a few, depending on shipping, the single door i think is much nicer cleaner unobstructed view just like you said
Old 09-08-2006, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by topherlove
i like the single i door, when are finances are bit better id probally buy a few, depending on shipping, the single door i think is much nicer cleaner unobstructed view just like you said
thats good to know.

is there anything that you think should be added or taked away from these tanks to make them better?
Old 09-08-2006, 06:31 PM

I'd like to see a few closer pics of the door, and how tight it fits, and how large the door is, as you can't really see that in the pics.

One thing I like about tanks with the frame, is it feels more escape proof to me, versus just a pane of glass on the edges of 4 different panes of glass. When the door rests in a frame, a potential escapee would have to go around a corner in a tiny gap, versus just through a tiny gap.

That being said, the frameless tank sure looks sharp

Also, if you could make the top pane removable, so if a guy wanted to put a UV transmitting plate in, that would be cool as well.
Old 09-08-2006, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancing frogs
I'd like to see a few closer pics of the door, and how tight it fits, and how large the door is, as you can't really see that in the pics.

Also, if you could make the top pane removable, so if a guy wanted to put a UV transmitting plate in, that would be cool as well.
the door is pretty big. i have two of these from Kevin. i have a pic empty with the door open, so see if this helps with the size. i think it is about 12x15".

he let me choose the door size and may be offering that as an added option too. what do you think it should be standard?

i like the frameless tank too. it really makes them look a lot bigger, and eliminates another distraction.

the removable top plate is a good idea.

sorry to jump on this reply Kevin. i just thought i had a pic that could help answer the question, and it stemmed some questions of my own.
Old 09-08-2006, 07:33 PM

Also, having the door swing down, instead of sideways, should be an option.
Anyone who has tried to get springtails into a thickly planted exoterra or other side swinging door probably knows why.
With the swing down door, you can just shake the springtails onto the front pane of glass, then swing it back up.
Old 09-08-2006, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Anyone who has tried to get springtails into a thickly planted exoterra or other side swinging door probably knows why.
With the swing down door, you can just shake the springtails onto the front pane of glass, then swing it back up.
i like the swing down method too, unless its on a top shelf :lol: its hard to get way up there sometimes :P
Old 09-08-2006, 09:56 PM

Quote:

One thing I like about tanks with the frame, is it feels more escape proof to me, versus just a pane of glass on the edges of 4 different panes of glass. When the door rests in a frame, a potential escapee would have to go around a corner in a tiny gap, versus just through a tiny gap.

i like the idea about the UV plate. i think i will try to make that an option.

as for the door it is 14inx12in. the door wedges shut up against the side and holds very snug, there is no way it can be pushed open or pop open do to vibrations. i've used locking mechanisms and handles before but they are not neccessary and don't look nearly as good. but a locking mechanism could easily be an option.

heres some pics of the door and how it fits. they're not the best pics but hopfully you'll get an idea.

this image shows the door agaist the side pane.

this is the joint where the bottom of the door meets the glass

this is the the joint on the the hinge side

where the door meets the screen

thanks for your imput,

Kevin
Old 09-08-2006, 10:14 PM

Quote:
the downward opening door could definatly be an option. i have constructed one this way but i like the side opening door alot better my self

i also have a long acrylic hinge that can be used and it would be much better for a downward opening door
Old 09-10-2006, 08:38 PM

Thank you Kevin for adding the price. I think that is a very reasonable one. I too, would be interested in them. I find the side opening with the larger hinge to be better. The best idea, I think, is the fact that the vent is on top of the viv instead of the top of the front. Gives a muche clearer view of the inside of the viv.
Keep us posted.
Old 09-10-2006, 09:40 PM

Hey, these look pretty nice. Add me to the list of intrested people. To bad you are 5 or so hours away.
Jason