No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By JoshsDragonz

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2013, 09:23 PM

Default another Titebond 3 vs silicone thread

guys i'm in a predicament.

i wanna be able to mount broms to the background of my tank. i was planning on doing a TB3 background but it'd be super hard to attach broms and other plants to the back ground.

but with a silicone background i dont have to wait all that long for it to cure. and i can mount broms and such to the background. last time i did a silicone background. i layed dried eco earth to the silicone and pressed it in. after a few mins i tipped the tank and shook off the excess eco earth. but in some places it didnt stick at all. :\

what do i do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2013, 09:42 PM

Default Re: another Titebond 3 vs silicone thread

Well, if you have some idea of where you wanna be able to attach plants you could just put pieces of cork bark or tree fern in the foam and use the titebond slurry around it.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xTimx View Post

i wanna be able to mount broms to the background of my tank. i was planning on doing a TB3 background but it'd be super hard to attach broms and other plants to the back ground.

but with a silicone background i dont have to wait all that long for it to cure. and i can mount broms and such to the background. last time i did a silicone background. i layed dried eco earth to the silicone and pressed it in. after a few mins i tipped the tank and shook off the excess eco earth. but in some places it didnt stick at all. :\

what do i do?
Doesn't TB3 take a while to dry...? Longer than silicone, at least? Either way, you can always glue plants to the background. Using something like Gorilla Glue works wonders to hold plants in place while they root and grow.

Old 09-27-2013, 10:47 PM

Why not do a cork bark mosaic or hygrolon/filterpad background if you want to readily mount plants? Much less time, MUCH less hassle, and plants love it.

Old 09-28-2013, 01:04 AM

Spray foam has already been layed down. Im just trying to figure out what to do for a background adhesion with substrate.
I read somewhere it was next to impossible to penetrate the TB3/substrate with toothpicks or plant wire. If thats not the case then I will do the TB3 method.

cheers!

xTimx
Old 09-28-2013, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Spray foam has already been layed down. Im just trying to figure out what to do for a background adhesion with substrate.
I read somewhere it was next to impossible to penetrate the TB3/substrate with toothpicks or plant wire. If thats not the case then I will do the TB3 method.

cheers!

xTimx
Depends on the thickness. If it's less than 1/4" it's easy to puncture. Also, i have had success using bobby pins to secure plants to this type of background. Make sure to use the rubber coated ones.

Leucs, Azureus, Variabilis, Orange Sirensis, Mint Terribilis and Agalychnis Lemur
Old 09-28-2013, 02:17 AM

Ohhhhhhh sweet! Fantastic! I will have to do that for sure then! Thank you! :-D

cheers!

xTimx
Old 09-28-2013, 05:04 AM

It works well if you paint your foam background with tb3 and then press dry peat or what have you into it. This way it dries fast and you can easily attach your broms. Makes no sense to create a peat and tb3 slurry in order to make features. It's better to use foam to do that.

Don't let anyone tell you it holds up better than what I described above. I have used this same method for my Crested Gecko viv. They crawl up it all the time and they have small claws. No issues.

D. auratus "El Cope" 0.0.6, C. Cilliatus 2.6
Old 09-28-2013, 09:14 AM

ive tried 3 diff methods of using tb3 and i agree.. it really doesnt make much difference as long as you take your time to make sure you apply enough. And TB3 dries rock hard.. but once it is introduced to the moisture and humidity it "softens" a bit.. and pushing floral wire into it really isnt much work at all. So dont be discouraged by how hard it cures in the begining, it will soften up.

A few thumbs and pums never hurt anyone
Old 09-28-2013, 05:23 PM

I agree with the posts above... TB3 will soften up a little once you start misting it. I have plants that have rooted into the background. At first it is a little hard to puncture, but it will get easier. All my tanks backgrounds are done with TB3
Trickishleaf likes this.

Dendrobates l Oophaga l Ranitomeya l Adelphobates l Ameerega l
Old 09-28-2013, 06:18 PM

Quote:

what do i do?
I have no problem attaching broms to my TB3 background. I use the green floral wire from hobby shops.