Go Back   Dendroboard > Vivariums > Parts & Construction
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2004, 02:42 AM

Default halide lighting, making doors custom tank, dividing big tank

Sorry folks. I admit thats a lot of questions. And I apologize if somebody has posted these before. If there are previous posts, please redirect me as I have trouble searching on these topics. I am not trying to spam up the board. 8)

My first question is, anybody use halide lighting? They are great for Carnivorous plants and orchids, as well as various other high light plants.
I would think it's only for big enclosures, and best for larger hylid frogs, mostly because many darts don't really need as much light.

My second question is about custom tanks with doors. I don't mean those type of doors with acrylic hinges. I mean cages with actual metal hinges on the sides with two doors that open in the front, kinda like Cagesbydesign http://www.cagesbydesign.com. Doors with "knobs." And better yet, a magnet that shuts the door like a cabinet. Anybody knows how to build or tried it? :?

My next question is, I would like in the future move my Nepenthes out of my tank in the basement and use my giant 5 feet x 18 in x 2 feet tall tank for housing frogs. Clawed frogs and more terrestrial frogs, by dividing the tank. Or, put the Nepenthes on the other side. I don't know if its possible, considering its a normal glass tank, and I don't know if the divider could withstand the pressure of the water for the clawed frogs or fish. How about beam reenforcements? I know this idea sounds kinda stupid, :roll: but I was wondering if it was possible, just in case.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2004, 02:57 AM

The problem with halides is heat as far as i know. Havent used them though.
Old 06-17-2004, 03:39 PM

There are alot of people who use halides in their tanks; although i would only use them in large terrariums. Im going to use 2 (75, or 175W) halides in my 6ft tall project im working on.

Dr ingo uses 175; and then some, in his terrarium. http://gallery.pethobbyist.com/data/683 ... front2.jpg

I believe David taylor has also used one; but sais it got way too hot (the tank was pretty small however). You can email him yourself and ask any questions you may have.

http://imageevent.com/audiomaster/pract ... ogvivarium

M.N

Old 06-17-2004, 03:42 PM

Getting pretty interested in this. Do you think it would be overkill on a 62 gal?