Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2006, 02:14 PM

Default Terrarium advice, help !! :)

Hi All,

Firstly let me intriduce myself, my names Gary and I have been a lurker over at dendroworld.co.uk for a few months.

Then I looked over here and it's GREAT !!

I am a reptile keeper, very new to amphibians and would really appreciate some advice.

I have about 3000 worth of new vivariums coming on Thursday, fully fitted with brand new EVERYTHING. This is to replace my current vivs of various sizes as a designed beroom refit. Three of the vivariums will be empty.

I have spoken with a professional terrarium builder (who shall remain nameless) and he is going to make a terrarium that will fit snugly inside a vivarium (basically a terrarium wrapped in an outer wood shell) so it can be part of one of my stacks.

This will be a proper terrarium, just in a wood sleeve.

Now I have been looking around and have been reading all the DIY diaries which are GREAT, but I have a few questions.

I am in England and need to find the following information...

What is the best UK based 'foam' to use to build up backgrounds and cover false floors?

I have seen coco fibre 'tiles' in [email protected] that have cone shape openings in them, The idea is that you pop a plant into the cone and they live happily like that and root into the fibre. Seems IDEAL for terrariums, do you guys use them?

What is the best type of sillicone for attaching this fibre to the glass back?

Is a water feature a good idea? I spent about an hour talking on the phone to the terrarium builder yesterday. He suggested that I have a drainage hole (tube) and mist by hand as it wont be a HUGE terrarium (4ft long by 2 ft deep by 3 foot high APPROXIMATELY). Does this sound ok?

Obviously I would rather have some sort of filter to keep the water clean and a water feature would be very nice but ive heard they can be problematic?

I am thinking that Tincs is the what I would like to keep in here eventually, obviously I'm looking forward to all the plant work first though

Hopefully you guys can give some insight. Obviously I want to do things the right way from day 1.

Many Thanks

Gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2006, 08:00 PM

hi, new to iv only been on here a week now, its fun isnt it, where in the uk are you? im english i lived in portsmouth hampshire. i moved over to america with my family about a year ago.
any way about your vivs, um the best uk foam, when i built mine i used black pond foam i found it at maiden head aquatics, this was a year and a bit ago so i dont know if they still have it, they should have something like it, if not handi foam is really good, again i dont know if it is available in the uk.
for the fern pannels i think they would be fine as long as they dont have insectisides, or things like that in it, it should work. if your not sure just order some of the internet made for vivs.
the water feature is up to you, iv put small ones in 10 gallon vivs, the frogs dont necisarily need one they are for your enjoyment, they can be benificial for breeding, some frogs deposite the tads in the pools . but only if the pool isnt to fast flowing. having a water feature does add something to the viv though. its up to u. if your useing a false bottom and dont have a drainage hole then use a filter i use external canister filters for aquariums they are for large aquariums but have high bacterial load and so your water will be crystal clear. look around on the gallery for pics of peoples construction vivs with water features, in some u can get a really good idea of how to make one that looks and works good. your viv is a great size, its not to small for anything, the tincs sound good you average about 10 to 15 gallons per frog so you viv is aproximatly 96 or so gallons, so 6-7 frogs would be ok, by them as froglets. for sillicone use aquarium sillicone from any aquatic center, if you want black then use GE black or make sure that any sillicone does not have mold inhibitors, toxic things that will harm your frogs. i hope iv helped you and good luck with building it, im starting my 180 gallon viv in a few months ill post pics of my construction when im done. keep me posted on how yours is going.
Old 05-26-2006, 08:40 PM

ved fm Members fros and vivariums.

Old 05-26-2006, 08:48 PM

Sounds like a very cool setup. I think I can help with these two questions:

Is a water feature a good idea? I spent about an hour talking on the phone to the terrarium builder yesterday. He suggested that I have a drainage hole (tube) and mist by hand as it wont be a HUGE terrarium (4ft long by 2 ft deep by 3 foot high APPROXIMATELY). Does this sound ok?

I'm reading this as your tanks will be 4x2x3 feet, correct? If so, I'd opt for a misting system if your budget allows. That's a whole lot of tank to mist by hand. A drain is an excellent idea.

Obviously I would rather have some sort of filter to keep the water clean and a water feature would be very nice but ive heard they can be problematic? I think this really depends on how large your water feature is going to be. Most people who do water features in smaller tanks don't use filteration because the water is changes pretty regularly due to the misting/siphon cycle. In a larger tank with more water, a lower portion of the water will be replaced by water from the misting system so a filter setup would be a good itea. I'd look into the canister filters because from what I've seen they're super simple and self contianed so everything that you would need to service would be outside the tank.

"This hobby is about 10% what you know, and 90% experimentation." - Lon Heim (DartMan)
Old 05-31-2006, 02:43 PM

Thanks for the replies guys.

I have spoken to the guy building my terrarium today and I am going to have a water feature and a fog/mist maker to ensure there is sufficient moisture for the plants etc.

Gary
Old 05-31-2006, 04:46 PM

make sure to post some replies, good luck