Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2020, 03:19 AM

Default Nightcrawler Questions

Hello!
I recently got a beautiful fantasy pacman frog. Right now he’s only about 1.5 inches long and houses in a 5.5 gallon tank (he will be upgraded to a 10 gallon and eventually a 20 gallon long when he reaches full size). So far he’s eaten a couple crickets and some chopped up night crawlers. I have a few questions on the night crawlers though!
I’m having trouble cutting them up effectively. Right now I’m just using a knife but it takes a while to cut a piece off because they move around a lot. I end up just feeling bad for the worm because it takes so much effort 😞 Does anyone have tips on how to make the process easier?
When I’m feeding the night crawlers, they end up getting some eco earth stuck on them before my frog can eat them, is it harmful if he eats a little bit of substrate? I’ve heard that some people use dishes but since my frog is almost completely buried all the time I’d have to disturb the substrate around him, wouldn’t that stress him out?
I’m sure my questions might seem a bit dumb but I’ve never owned a frog before! Thanks for reading, any responses are appreciated 🙂
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2020, 04:57 AM

Default Re: Nightcrawler Questions

If you give him a nice spray to clear his body of substrate, and move him to a cup in his environment, he will associate the routine and you with getting fed. It will not be stressful if you do the same routine every time. Later you can forcep feed and he will eat more cleanly with some finesse on your part, and a flat slate or tile piece at the mouth of his den accommodates feeding as well.

Ive always prefered to size food items or use thawed with forceps. Freezing for a month or so can kill parasites, but crawlers are very loopy and goopy after thawing.

If you must cut them alive, a very sharp pair of shears will be quicker and thus perhaps kinder than a knife.