facebook

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Captain Awesome
  • 1 Post By gusgieg
  • 1 Post By gusgieg

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2020, 11:37 PM

Default New Pacman frog

Hey everyone, I’m new to the website, not to the hobby though.
On Saturday I attended local reptile expo where I purchased a juvenile strawberry Pacman frog. I have had red eyed tree frogs successfully for awhile now, so I did some research and grabbed this guy. I have him in an exo tera tall nano enclosure with a water dish, Pothos, and loose coco husk substrate. The temperature stays around 75-80. I don’t have any real concerns other then the fact I didn’t expect him to burrow so deep. I spent 15 minutes searching that tiny cage before I just picked it up and saw him on the bottom of the enclosure. I pulled him out to check up on him and he was fine other than the fact that he was covered in coco dust. Also I keep crickets in his enclosure at night but I remove them in the morning. anyways I was just wondering if you guys could critique my care or tell me it his burrowing so deep (2-3 inches) was normal. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2020, 09:40 AM

Burrowing is normal. 3 reasons to burrow deep. Stress is the most likely since you just got him. The second is temps too high. They burrow down to cool off. And the third is seasonal brumination. They will, if given a seasonal cycle, burrow and take a couple month break. Make sure you don’t heat from below with a pad as they will go down to cool off and will only get warmer.
Old 02-24-2020, 11:39 AM

That’s helpful, would you consider 2 to 3 inches into the substrate normal or one of the other reasons you stated?

Old 02-24-2020, 12:16 PM

Once settled in, he should be sunk into the substrate with eyes and mouth exposed most of the time. Bring the temp lower, 72-75, and let him settle in for a few days. Problem with tiny tanks is they can not as easily thermoregulate. Ideally a cool side of tank at 70 and a warm side at 85 would allow him to find the perfect place to sit.
Encyclia likes this.
Old 02-24-2020, 07:24 PM

Ok, I can upgrade him to a ten gallon horizontal tank. Could I put a 25 watt heat bulb on one side of the tanks and a water dish on the other?
Thanks
Old 02-24-2020, 11:58 PM

Update, today while I was away he came out of his burrow and is now as you said, showing his eyes and mouth. I’ll feed him dusted crickets tonight. If you still think a 10 gallon enclosure is necessary I could do that.
Old 02-25-2020, 12:15 AM

Tonight I fed him 1 Dubia and a full size cricket. Both dusted with calcium d3. He gobbled them up as soon as they were in there. Is it normal for them to suck their stomach in when they eat? Maybe a crushing food mechanism. Or did I over feed
Old 02-26-2020, 09:50 PM

If anyone reads this. He eats alright, the temps are a bit cooler and he’s in a ten gallon. He still burrows deep so I’m betting on stress. Thanks for the help👍😀
Socratic Monologue likes this.
Old 02-27-2020, 12:04 AM

Glad he’s eating. Yes I have seen that stomach behavior. Saw it fairly regularly but not always. You may be right on it’s purpose.
Old 02-27-2020, 02:08 AM

Default Re: New Pacman frog

The way I liked keeping baby ceratophrys is not translatable to the structural delicacy of a front doored exo, as there was a quick rinse involved with an austere situ.

I dont like co co husk with animals that are prone to ingest mouthfuls of it. I have also known it to get embedded in the eye margins of lizards and chelonians. This milled material, that looks natural, has quite a burly and unchangeable character. Under magnification and subjected to lengthy wetting and manipulation one sees that it will not tease apart or break down whatsoever. Loose coco doesnt hold a burrow shape, it just doesnt have a husbandry draw for me.

I preferred fulfilling the security needs by making their 'burrow' using curved artifact. When I want to feed them i put them in standard deli cups of very shallow water to inhibit prey mobility and placed them back when all the food was gone. I mostly fed feeder guppies. I liked the fact that the fish had livers and skeletons.

Last edited by Kmc; 02-27-2020 at 02:10 AM.
Old 02-27-2020, 07:09 PM

Default Re: New Pacman frog

They are ambush feeders and their morphology Tells All.

Large food items per subject, and they should not be forced to "forage".

As they size up, a sturdy shelf like cavern (like a siliconed slate triangle in the corner, a curve of cork crammed tight across one side, sphagnum stuffed on each butt side can enforce without having to silicone permanently) Floor packed hard and tight with damp peat, some flat stones embedded to provide tactile diversity and a respite from uniform acidic substrate character.

They are sedentary. again, note morohology. Think about how water is encountered in nature. Water feature should be sunk - the 'wall' of "bowl" is an abstract ergonomic for them, they should be able to access shallow water with little effort. I siphoned it like a pool. Its all easier than it sounds.

If they find the cavern deep enough and temp to liking (deep enables them to find the sweet spot w/ mild wall heat at the wall end) it negates need to burrow for security.

This strategy enables a kind of positive in feeding relationship and confidence as they will come to the mouth ofthe burrow to feed from tongs, which is comparable to ambush behavior, and seem more confident with a stable deep shelter, coming out early mornings in plain view to soak or absorb mildly applied light patches.
Old 02-27-2020, 10:51 PM

Thanks so much.👍 I can make these changes. Although one time I did attempt to feed him in a separate dish, and he seemed uninterested, maybe because I just got him.

Also, how many full size feeder crickets/dubia can a small Pacman frog like him take in 1 sitting. For some reason it wasn’t info I was able to find

Anyways thanks. I know that you guys know your stuff as this forum is always super helpful.
Old 02-28-2020, 11:23 AM

Update, I tried feeding in a separate dish again and he ate. So I’ll keep doing that. Also he doesn’t just seem to wait at his burrow every night. He will be deep in his burrow when the lights are on and then I’ll come in when there off and he will be on the move around the cage. Other than that he seems to be in good health, energetic, fat, and eating. Do you guys think I need to worry about anything?
Old 02-28-2020, 11:16 PM

Today he ate In his enclosure. He looks very fat, like a perfect circle
Old 03-01-2020, 07:43 PM

I made another enclosure today with more plants and cover, also new substrate that isn’t coco fiber. I also buried big flat rocks to be caverns of sorts. I think he likes it, he has had his head out a lot more lately
Kmc likes this.