• 1 Post By Socratic Monologue
  • 1 Post By Max Park
  • 3 Post By Max Park

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2019, 03:52 AM

Unhappy Pacman Frog Stomach Sticking Out.

Hello guys, I've been owning a Pacman frog for about a month, which seemed to healthy most of the time.

Yesterday, I checked on the tank and realized that something appeared to be his stomach was sticking out of his mouth. There were pieces of super mealworms sticking around, so I assume that his stomach wasn't too happy with the worm he ate, and had to spit it out. However, the problem is that the stomach is NOT entering back in. His mouth is always shut closed, so it seems like there is no way that the stomach can enter back in. It's been around 24hours like this.

I live very far from any exotic vets, so getting medical attention seems to be impossible. I moved him into a clean plastic container of dechlorinated water and gently rinsed the cocopeat off his stomach. I waited around 10 hours hoping that he will manage to gulp his stomach back in, but he hasn't been attempting to gulp it back in.

As I read from another forum about frogs regurgitating, I realized that leaving his stomach outside for too long is very dangerous. Using two Q tips, I opened his mouth and tried to push (gently, of course) his stomach in, and it doesn't seem to be working any good. As some part of the Q tip entered his mouth, some brownish goo blurted out of his mouth, which I guess is a good sign as it may be some sort of goo that is not meant to be around his intestines. After the attempt, I put him back into the container.

I'm really scared and worried as he is my first Pacman. Please give some help, any type of answers (guesses, personal experience, etc) would be very much appreciated!

This is the photo of him: https://ibb.co/Jr2PgFs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2019, 01:52 PM

Default Re: Pacman Frog Stomach Sticking Out.

Please, any kind of help would be very thankful. The stomach is still exposed outside, and the weird thing is that he doesn't seem like he is in deep pain? Of course, I wouldn't know but he has been hopping around without any problems.

I attempted one more time using Q tips to push the stomach back in, doesn't seem to work at all as he is closing his mouth shut very firmly.

I would appreciate any answers, please help my frog live.
Old 07-21-2019, 01:56 PM

Welcome to the forum!

Things don't sound good for your frog. Having a vet available would be best, of course, but I suspect that if damage has been done the frog may not be able to recover from it. Aside from a round of antibiotics, I don't imagine a vet would recommend heroic measures. Only a vet visit would prove that out, though.

If I were in your position, I'd learn as much as I can about preventing prolapses, since your frog may recover on its own. I'd imagine it is more prone to a prolapse now that it has experienced one. Seeking out folks knowledgeable about Pac Man frogs specifically would be best, as would reading all the care sheets and (real) books you can get your hands on. It could be that basic care parameters can help to prevent this sort of situation, too, so the more knowledge you have, the better.

I would expect the worst but hope for the best in a situation like this. Good luck.
Max Park likes this.

-- Orwell

Last edited by Socratic Monologue; 07-21-2019 at 01:58 PM.

Old 07-21-2019, 01:59 PM

I didn't catch that he still has the stomach outside. Open his mouth with the edge of a credit card, guitar pick, or other thin object, and replace the stomach as best you can. I think you need to do what it takes to get that mouth open. I would expect that a little damage to the jaws would be preferable to an exposed stomach.

Animals don't show pain like we do, so don't let that appearance be a criterion for anything.
Max Park likes this.

-- Orwell
Old 07-21-2019, 02:02 PM

Also, I'm not sure a Q-tip is the best tool. That cotton may hang on his jaws, and it isn't digestible. Use the blunt end of a pen, or a handle of a spoon, or your little finger to push the stomach back in.
Max Park likes this.

-- Orwell

Last edited by Socratic Monologue; 07-21-2019 at 02:05 PM.
Old 07-21-2019, 02:09 PM

Thank you so much for replying!

Yes, as you said, it would be best to have a professional vet around. I am hoping that the prolapse happened to spit out the food he ate, not because of bacterial infections or such.

I have attempted to use a credit card to open his mouth, but he would close is mouth shut as soon as I try to push the stomach, so it seems to be very challenging. During the few seconds of opened mouth, I could clearly see the rest of his stomach hanging inside him, seems that only half of his stomach is actually exposed.

Since I've been holding him and (forcefully) opening his mouth for a while, I probably stressed him out too much, I'm currently letting him rest for a bit. I would update any changes, again, thanks for your attention.
Old 07-21-2019, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Park View Post
I am hoping that the prolapse happened to spit out the food he ate, not because of bacterial infections or such.
My thought was that a bacterial infection may occur secondary to the prolapse.

I'd suspect that a prolapsed stomach isn't a normal event in amphibian vomiting, and that there is something else at play. Conditions that cause vomiting in herps (and people, actually) are generally to be avoided at all costs, so if your frog does pull through, it would be advisable to take the time and effort to get to a qualified vet to perhaps rule out some contributing conditions (internal parasites, perhaps).

You can find a qualified exotic vet here:

https://arav.site-ym.com/search/custom.asp?id=3661
Max Park likes this.

-- Orwell
Old 07-22-2019, 01:04 AM

Hi,
Thanks for your vet recommendation, I really appreciate your effort. But unfortunately, as i said, I live in China, where getting in touch with exotic vets are nearly IMPOSSIBLE (don't worry, i tried).

However, theres a good news! I checked on him just now, and guess what?! His stomach got back in! I also realized that he pooped, so I'm guessing his digestive system isn't broken down.

Again, thanks for your attention. I'll update any changes or symptoms that may be a sign of bacterial infection.
Socratic Monologue likes this.
Old 07-22-2019, 04:58 PM

Hey,

Giving another update, he's doing very well! I moved him into his brand new setup, and he seems to like it as he got himself burrowed down the substrate.

Of course, just in case the previous substrate might have had some problem, I got him brand new substrates. I also fed him a cricket which he immediately ate as I dropped it down towards him (he must have been hungry, he didn't eat for a while because of his stomach sticking out).

I don't see any signs of illness, I guess he's feeling a lot better now. I'm still going to check on him to see if there is anything going wrong, but he seems fine at the moment.

Thanks for the help! I'll keep posting any updates, as someone else may encounter the same problem and find my experience useful!

Here's a photo of him: https://postimg.cc/4msQhzdp
Lucano, macg and jc_hammy like this.

Last edited by Max Park; 07-22-2019 at 05:00 PM.
Old 07-23-2019, 06:18 PM

I'm glad to hear your frog seems to have recuperated form his ordeal. It's always tough when a pet is suffering!
Old 08-18-2019, 06:59 PM

It would be a good idea to be prepared in the event it re occurs. The tools of choice would be a narrow rubber spatula and an oral sponge stick. You will probably have to buy a box of the sponges, but who knows you may find some other use for them.

As juveniles, i have preferred to feed these guys in a cozy transparent container, in their own environment. I just place them in until they are finished eating. As adults I forcep feed somewhere unfettered - I got in the habit of laying a plane of slate in front of the primary hide in set ups for these and pixis.

If a tongue or stomach has been extruded and clamped on, if it desiccates or starts to necrose its not good.

If it happens again, have a good helper. Someone needs to hold the spatula in place while the tissue is gently worked back in. Its helpful if the helper just holds the spatula, and refrains from commentary or expression.
Old 08-19-2019, 01:55 AM

The end of the spatula can be trimmed down if needed, and the sponge can also.

For tinier mouths ive used a butlers gum stimulator, the tip blunted against a heat lamp. A piece of polyvinyl tubing can be worked over the elbow and head of the handle and you have a good, tissue friendly mouth opening aid for small lizards and frogs. Soaking the tube to make it soft will enable it to be sheathed over the tool, making it safer during use. Safer means more confidence and expedience.