Dendroboard banner

is it a must for clay substrate for pumilio?

14K views 52 replies 27 participants last post by  daryl34 
#1 ·
Want to get a pair of pumilio but I heard a clay substrate is very recommended. I currently do not have a clay substrate but ABG substrate. If I do go with a pair of pumilio what can I do to be sure that froglets will get enough calcium?

#45 ·
I never said the screen blocked it out completely. Just caused the penetration to be stopped slightly. I think a UVB light over the vent (if you have one in the middle or back) would still benefit better then not having it.

But to answer your question, in my opinion yes.

#48 ·
#49 ·
If you want a KISS method here is what I suggest for Oophaga froglets.

Step one, buy clay substrate from Pumilo.

Step two, buy 20+ gallon tank.

Step three, buy springs and iso's from Pumilo.

Step four, build tank.

Step five, seed tank.

Step six, wait three months for everything to be established.

Step seven, add Oophaga.

Thats the easiest way I can suggest. There are other things I would personally do but that is the most basic things you can do.

Reactions: Judy S
#53 ·
Clay substrate is not a must for adult pumilio, because of vitamin and calcium additions. However for froglets calcium substrates definately have an advantage. However if the calcium is not in high enough concentrations, effects are minimal.

Pumilio froglet survial is greatly enhanced by have food walking all over all the time, and calcium absorption from moist substrate readily available. When they are young 0-3 months they tend to graze all day long.

Daryl

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.