• 2 Post By frogparty
  • 1 Post By frogparty
  • 1 Post By andersonii85
  • 1 Post By frogparty

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2013, 09:41 PM

Default Favorite Functional Bromeliads for Oophaga

Hey All,

The title says it all, what is your go to bromeliads when you set up a oophaga vivarium?
The purpose of this thread is to provide lists of suitable bromeliads from experienced oophaga breeders to beginners or those that want to try out something new.

Breeders like certain bromeliads for all sorts of reasons, not just color (ex. depth of pitchers, no thorns, species, etc.), so provide a brief blurb about why you like them. Pictures can be included if you want.

Although I am not an experienced oophaga breeder, I will start. I prefer Neoroglia, so here are my favorites thus far:

-N. Midnight- BIG, deep pitchers and lots of them, it is a beautiful deep purple, no thorns.
-N. Whinnie the Pooh- big but not too big, great name , deep pitchers, minimal thorns.
-N. Prairie Fire- Lots of pitchers that hold a good amount of water, minimal thorns. Great for smaller sized pumilio in my opinion (ex. Escudo, Solarte, Popa).
-N. Brandy Wine- Deep putchers, no thorns, good color.
-N. Blueberry Muffin- Deep pitchers, amazing color, no thorns.

Thats a start! Share away!

Jared
SDRiding likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2013, 10:13 PM

Default Re: Favorite Functional Bromeliads for Oophaga

Almost all my Pums prefer smaller broms, Neo tiger cub, fireball even the tiny wee willie and neopunctissimus (I'm sure I butchered that name) yellow banded have had Escudo crawling out of them. Histo's and that tribe like much bigger axils but most of my Pums have never utilized anything big as long as they had a choice.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:38 PM
Mod

I agree with mark.Most of my pumilio love tiger cub.It is a favorite for my BriBri,and seems to be the ones they have raised the most tads from.

I also like fireballs,They are a dime a dozen,have nice color,hold a good amount of water and the pumilio like them too.

Old 04-05-2013, 10:46 PM

My pums like neo topaz, neo royal burgundy, neo green apple.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:48 PM

I dont have Oophaga- but do have some favorites for tadpole deposition

Neo. Blueberry pie. Better color than blueberry muffin for sure.
Neo. High voltage. Mine is about 12" diameter, but not super tall. AWESOME COLOR, and holds a ton of water, both in a large central axil, as well as in the side axils
Billbergias- One deeeeeep central axil, great for tads. My vanzos LOVED them
Quesnelia marmorata- same situation, but really need a larger(taller) tank for these. Mine probably holds a quart of h2o.

Winnie the pooh is pretty small in comparison to these, but I do love it a lot. You should see it in full sun!!!

jruffing46 and Azurel like this.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpulawski View Post
Almost all my Pums prefer smaller broms, Neo tiger cub, fireball even the tiny wee willie and neopunctissimus (I'm sure I butchered that name) yellow banded have had Escudo crawling out of them. Histo's and that tribe like much bigger axils but most of my Pums have never utilized anything big as long as they had a choice.
To my surprise, that has been my experience as well. (although I have only been breeding pums for 3-4 years) Mine seems to prefer the pointed leafed, champagne flute, shaped broms rather than the broad leafed bowl shaped broms.
This is my red basti's favorite. Its called 'Purple Stoly', but it seems very similar to one that I have seen called 'Tar Baby'.

My gold dust bastis like 'Shamrock', but have also used their Inca x Fireball. My mancreeks like 'Little Faith' more than they like their 'Winnie the Pooh'.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:54 PM

Hate to burst your bubble, but I've had this conversation with a pumilio expert many times. No matter what anecdotal evidence I share with them, they still say that there's no brom that's better than another. They have told me that in situ, the frogs show no preference. In some areas they breed in refuse containers- so basically anything that holds water. With all of that being said... I have had great success in years past utilizing the following:

These are good for displays

Guzmania lingulata- my go to brom. It can be found in situ with many pumilio pop's. The regular form can be quite large, so not recommended for smaller vivs. I've used the "minor" form in smaller vivs with success- again with pumilio.

Guzmania musaica- for large viv's only. Also found in situ with pumilio. Holds a lot of water and has a fantastic inflorescence.

Vriesea heliconoides - about the size of Vriesea erythrodactylon and also is found in situ with pumilio. Good for medium sized vivs.

If strictly breeding and you don't care what the brom looks like:

Any small Guzmania or Vriesea hybrid. Why? They are usually cheap and can be tossed. I know a few O. sylvatica and histo breeders that go this route. The bigger Oophaga's tend to "muddy" the cups quicker than the smaller species.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersonii85 View Post
Any small Guzmania or Vriesea hybrid. Why? They are usually cheap and can be tossed. I know a few O. sylvatica and histo breeders that go this route. The bigger Oophaga's tend to "muddy" the cups quicker than the smaller species.
I am not a fan of disposable plants in my pumilio tanks. Seems like every time I trim a plant, remove a pup, toss a beat up brom, I end up pulling eggs or tads at the same time. It's not a big deal with thumbs, but it is a big deal with pums. I have vowed to try and never remove any plant material from my pumilio tanks unless it is absolutely necessary.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phender View Post
I am not a fan of disposable plants in my pumilio tanks. Seems like every time I trim a plant, remove a pup, toss a beat up brom, I end up pulling eggs or tads at the same time. It's not a big deal with thumbs, but it is a big deal with pums. I have vowed to try and never remove any plant material from my pumilio tanks unless it is absolutely necessary.
I'm not a huge fan of the idea either. I was merely just stating wisdom that was passed down to me from other breeders who I know will not come out on the boards and talk about this kind of stuff. Also note, I didn't mention this as a strategy for pumilio but the larger Oophaga species.
Old 04-07-2013, 01:01 AM

With the right environment, no brom should be considered disposable. Right plant, right place
Tadpole detritus is awesome bromeliad fertilizer.

volcano23000 likes this.
Old 04-07-2013, 02:44 AM

I like wide variety, as much as possible anyway. medium to small. I have good luck with smaller ones. O yeah I like spines.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogparty View Post
With the right environment, no brom should be considered disposable. Right plant, right place
Tadpole detritus is awesome bromeliad fertilizer.
The problem is- we force an environment for many brom's that is not favored by them, but is favored by the obligates. In the wild, obligates will avoid the too many eggs in one basket strategy and utilize multiple brom's to rear their children in. Our environments are much more restrictive and put brom's in a position where they are more prone to rotting due to "topping off" water lost from animal movement and evaporation. Too frequent of misting is also a culprit. Not to mention the bioloads that you were referring to- yes in small amount the waste products from the animals are good for the brom's. However, we force the animals to overuse the brom's in the enclosure when we restrict the size and number of them. Hence the reason why some people will use the disposable brom strategy. Many will rotate the brom's out before they get overloaded- so to speak.
Old 04-07-2013, 02:10 PM

All those issues sound like improper viv design and husbandry to me. Honestly you just made my point for me

Old 04-07-2013, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogparty View Post
All those issues sound like improper viv design and husbandry to me. Honestly you just made my point for me
I wasn't disagreeing with you. Just extrapolating from what you stated. I agree that it's not a great strategy. I think my presentation of this idea was not well worded. The goal of adding that last part of my post was to expand the conversation out to other obligates and not just pumilio.

Terrarium design has come a long way. I think that if we want to keep the animals breeding and the plants happy that a balance needs to be struck.

I think that a reason (of many) why a good number of folks over the years haven't been successful with the larger obligates is that they've been placing them in too small of Vivaria. Larger Vivaria, more brom's, and larger brom's are a key to increased production without the brom declines.
jruffing46 likes this.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:17 PM

Totally agree! Bigger viv, bigger and better broms is key

Old 04-08-2013, 04:26 AM

Are the Guzmania bromeliads the ones you can buy at Home Depot or Lowes? If not, they look awefully similar.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:23 AM

Yes. Almost all broms you see there are Guzmania and Vriesea hybrids. Almost all come from Kent's bromeliads, and almost all are already flowering broms that are really a poor choice to plant/mount in a viv. Instead, let them pup, and use those pups in vivs. They'll acclimate much better

jruffing46 likes this.