Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Species > Oophaga
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree107Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2019, 10:52 AM

Today they repeated their "feeding tadpoles" behavior. I wanted to share this picture I took an hour after the female visited the bromeliad to give an idea of just how many eggs she lays with the tadpole. I want to remind the tadpoles already ate some of the eggs that were given at first.

[/url]
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2019, 10:57 AM

Default Re: O.H.Bullseye

The male and the female :

Lucano and Fahad like this.
Old 11-19-2019, 09:59 AM

Again the tadpoles needs to be fed and this time I got it on camera. You can see how he aggresivly is bumping into it's mothers legs

In the last 5seconds of the clip, you get a good view of the tadpole and see it's full size. At this point I think the tadpole is almost ready to start developing it's legs.

https://youtu.be/mxqY0hr5YLg

Enjoy.

Old 11-25-2019, 11:53 AM

The male is bossing the female around today, meaning feeding time for the tadpoles!

Histrionica males are defenitly not the most quiet of frogs out there.

THE BOSS:
Lucano likes this.
Old 12-09-2019, 06:07 PM

Small update :

The tapole is devoloping his back leggs. It's also getting lighter in color, it's seems like he is changing color.

After some research and allot of going back and forth, I bought an Arcadia ProT5 UVB 6% lamp. For some (not all!!!) Histrionica I've seen enough evidence that proofs these frogs benefits from UV(b).

I highly recomend NOT using UVB lamps for other frogs tho!

There is allot of opinions and disccusion on the use of UV(b) for Histionica and the use of UV(b) varies a lot between breeders. Some use it 14hours a day, some 6, some 2 others only 10 minutes... My common sense tells me to follow the breeders that use it 2 hours a day @ noon, when the sun is the most bright... They also got the best result in my research. The breeders that use it for only 10minutes a day were very close second!

The lamp I use only shines over one half of the tank, so the frogs can hide easy from the UV(b). So far I havent seem the take a sunbath, but it only has been 5 days since I started using the lamp.

Link :

https://www.arcadiareptile.com/lighting/prot5/
Old 12-10-2019, 04:06 PM

I just received a reply from Ivan (tesoros founder) about the topic of handraising O.Histrionica.

Quote :

"You need to have freshly laid eggs from the mother or other females and give one every day and follow up the feeding in a container for each tadpole. Other species eggs are not a good idea."

So this means the tadpoles will eat around 90eggs until it is completely morphed.
bssknox and Fahad like this.
Old 12-12-2019, 06:26 PM

I have to come back on a previos post where I stated that the tadpole seems to be developing his back legs.
Today I was able to take at good look at the tadpole and it's backlegs seem completely developed by now.

This data is import for me to summerize everything later for a grow report on another forum.

Unfortunatly I am not able to take a good closeup photo of the tadpole, I lack skill when it comes to camera
Old 12-12-2019, 06:33 PM

Best I can do :

Lucano likes this.
Old 12-17-2019, 01:24 PM

More colors (orange/red) are starting to show and front legs are developing on the tadpole.

It is getting very exciting now! Fingers crossed the tadpole will develop into a healthy froglet and has no SLS or something like that. I think it will be getting out of the water in a week or 3ish from now... I'm also excited to see if this one will be having brothers and sister joining him.
Fahad likes this.
Old 12-19-2019, 11:57 AM

Old 12-23-2019, 03:13 PM

Old 12-27-2019, 11:45 AM

Roscoe09 and Fahad like this.
Old 01-02-2020, 06:43 PM

3 days aggo the tadpole's frontleggs broke through. It looks like they fully developed, so no SLS.

The tadpoles does not have a bullseye on its back but an orange head
I'm interested to see if the froglets remains his colors or if these will shift and or change.
Old 01-03-2020, 11:48 AM

The Male seems very protective and has been hanging out very close to the froglet the last 2 days. It seems like the froglet is almost ready to leave its pond. His head has already been out of the water a few times today.

scrumpydc likes this.
Old 01-06-2020, 01:19 PM

Toady the froglet left the bromeliad pond for the first time. I am very happy to say this is the first time ever I was able to witness a Histrionica junvenile enter land. I now hope more will follow and that the froglet(s) are healthy.

The female Bullseye is a little on the skinny side at the moment so I try and not disturb them for a while. I will try and take some photo's of the froglet later when the female is in better shape.
scrumpydc, bssknox and Fahad like this.
Old 01-07-2020, 05:53 AM

Amazing frog good work and thanks for sharing I have been looking at these frogs for a while so bold looking

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Tijl likes this.
Old 01-07-2020, 08:49 AM

Took a quick shot of the froglet.

Last edited by Tijl; 01-07-2020 at 09:00 AM.
Old 01-07-2020, 11:20 AM

Was able to take some shots behind the frontglass.

Last edited by Tijl; 01-07-2020 at 11:28 AM.
Old 01-08-2020, 08:18 AM

scrumpydc and Fahad like this.
Old 01-13-2020, 01:20 PM

Found a new froglet today
Old 01-13-2020, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tijl View Post
Small update :
I highly recomend NOT using UVB lamps for other frogs tho!
Can you expand on this? Im getting back into the hobby and was considering adding UVB to some vivs, especially those with Calcium bearing clay substrates.

Cool thread by the way- gorgeous frogs.
Tijl likes this.
Old 01-13-2020, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broseph View Post
Can you expand on this? Im getting back into the hobby and was considering adding UVB to some vivs, especially those with Calcium bearing clay substrates.

Cool thread by the way- gorgeous frogs.
Thanks Why do you want to add UVB to those specificly?

I've seen more than one species of frog that realy got harmed by the use of UVB light in our enclosures. The frogs just simply got fried.

I can also give you this copy of a study Johan shared with me a while aggo. I found this study to be very interesting ;

Influnce of UVB on Oophaga pumilio study :

"Ambient ultraviolet-B radiation can harm amphibian eggs, larvae and adults. However, some amphibians avoid UV-B radiation when given the opportunity. The strawberry poison dart frog, Oophaga pumilio, is diurnal and males vocalize throughout the day in light gaps under forest canopies that expose them to solar radiation. Previous studies have demonstrated that males calling from high perches are more successful at mating than those at lower perches. We investigated whether frogs at higher perches receive more ultraviolet-B than those calling from lower perches. We also investigated whether frogs on perches receiving relatively low ultraviolet-B levels maintained their positions for longer compared to individuals calling from perches receiving higher levels of ultraviolet-B. Finally, since it has been hypothesized that some animals utilize levels of UV-A as a visual cue to avoid UV-B damage, we artificially elevated ultraviolet-A levels to examine whether males exposed to artificially elevated ultraviolet-A abandoned their perches sooner compared to males exposed to visible light. We found that frogs called from perches receiving low ultraviolet-B regardless of perch height, and that frogs maintain their positions longer on perches receiving low ultraviolet-B compared to perches receiving even slightly higher ultraviolet-B levels. Exposing the frogs to artificially elevated levels of ultraviolet-A radiation caused males to move off of their perches faster than when they were exposed to a control light source. These experiments suggest that ultraviolet radiation plays an important role in frog behavior related to perch selection, even in rainforests where much of the solar radiation is shielded by the forest canopy."

"Many animals, plants, and microorganisms are harmed by ultraviolet-B radiation. In particular, several members of class amphibia are negatively affected by exposure to ultraviolet-B radiation. Exposure to ultraviolet-B radiation can cause death or various types of sublethal damage in amphibians. One mechanism to lessen the effect of harmful ultraviolet-B radiation is to limit exposure to sunlight behaviorally. Few studies have examined the behavioral sensitivity of adult amphibians to ultraviolet-B radiation. Using both field experiments and field observations, we found that two species of diurnal poison-dart frogs in Costa Rica (Dendrobates pumilio, D. auratus) consistently preferred areas in the field and within experimental testing chambers that offered low levels of ultraviolet-B radiation. In field observations, vocalizing D. pumilio were found at locations with significantly lower levels of ambient ultraviolet-B compared to random locations throughout their natural habitat. Ultraviolet-B avoidance behavior may be an important behavioral response for tropical frogs in light of recent evidence suggesting a significant increase in the levels of ambient ultraviolet-B radiation in the tropics over the past decade."
Broseph (01-13-2020), Organics (03-27-2020)
Old 01-13-2020, 05:04 PM

Very interesting, thanks for posting that. It seemed like the last time I was here, more and more people were using UV and there was a lot of discussion about transmission rates through various types of screen mesh vs poly vs fancy expensive glass...

I mention the clay substrate vivs because it was my understanding that the purpose of the clay was to provide calcium to frogs via direct contact with the clay, as well as clay particles sticking to consumed microfauna. Specifically, this was an effective way to get calcium to newly morphed obligates which are too small to eat dusted flies.

I thought the UVB was necessary for the frogs to manufacture vitamin D which was necessary for calcium metabolism.

Basically, I’d like to eventually try my hand at obligates, and was trying to see what people were doing lately.
Tijl likes this.

Last edited by Broseph; 01-13-2020 at 05:08 PM. Reason: Added some stuff
Old 01-13-2020, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broseph View Post
Very interesting, thanks for posting that. It seemed like the last time I was here, more and more people were using UV and there was a lot of discussion about transmission rates through various types of screen mesh vs poly vs fancy expensive glass...

I mention the clay substrate vivs because it was my understanding that the purpose of the clay was to provide calcium to frogs via direct contact with the clay, as well as clay particles sticking to consumed microfauna. Specifically, this was an effective way to get calcium to newly morphed obligates which are too small to eat dusted flies.

I thought the UVB was necessary for the frogs to manufacture vitamin D which was necessary for calcium metabolism.

Basically, Id like to eventually try my hand at obligates, and was trying to see what people were doing lately.

I use clay in pods and petridishes for the frogs to bath in. Every frog here use the clay baths and I have no Uv lamps (except in the Histrionica setup). My O.Pumilio bastimentos are breeding without UV for almost 10 years and my F1 also, so I see no use for UV in the tanks or any benefit the frogs get from. I use it only for the Histrionica and they mostly hide from the light...

I like it when people do their research! When you start your setup(s) , I will be happy to follow what your are doing and why.
Old 01-17-2020, 01:15 PM

I was able to take a shot of the other froglet, this one has a Bullseye on its back

scrumpydc likes this.
Old 01-22-2020, 03:58 PM

The little ones like tiny springtails!

Old 01-31-2020, 12:28 PM

Found froglet #3 today.
Old 01-31-2020, 03:27 PM

Next to Froglet #2 on the photo's

Lucano likes this.
Old 02-07-2020, 03:42 PM

I have not used the UV-light for a while now. It seems the frogs always take shelter when I turn on the light. So I diced to not use it for a while.

Still have not seen Bullseye froglet #1 , I'm not sure if I will see him ever again.

I was able to take some shots the other froglets. By taking photo's of their paterns it realy helps me to distinguish them and see their development in colors and paterns.

Bullseye froglet #2

Bullseye froglet #3

I hope some of you enjoy the photo's and updates aswell.
Woodswalker, macg and Fahad like this.
Old 02-14-2020, 11:29 AM

They just layed a new clutch, 8 eggs.

Old 02-14-2020, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tijl View Post
I have not used the UV-light for a while now. It seems the frogs always take shelter when I turn on the light. So I diced to not use it for a while.

Still have not seen Bullseye froglet #1 , I'm not sure if I will see him ever again.

I was able to take some shots the other froglets. By taking photo's of their paterns it realy helps me to distinguish them and see their development in colors and paterns.

Bullseye froglet #2

Bullseye froglet #3

I hope some of you enjoy the photo's and updates aswell.
Stunning creatures and beautiful thread Tijl
Tijl likes this.
Old 02-14-2020, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucano View Post
Stunning creatures and beautiful thread Tijl
I'm glad you like it!
Old 02-14-2020, 04:44 PM

Close-up froglet#2.

bssknox likes this.
Old 02-16-2020, 09:27 AM

Froglet #2 's patern and color are realy growing in now. The bullseye on its back is almost completly rounded out and it's orange is getting more bright every day. I don't expect it's patern to change much anymore, even tho it's only one month old. It realy looks like a small version of it's mother.

This froglet is also realy bold, I'm defenitly keeping this one.
Lucano, fishingguy12345 and Fahad like this.
Old 02-23-2020, 09:47 AM

Update on the clutch :

Old 02-28-2020, 09:45 AM

The eggs were devolping first and everything looked good. Then the last 2 days I have not seen the female visit the eggs. It seems like the embryos died so I think I will up my VitA+ to 2x a month instead of 1x a month to make sure the parents are in perfect health. I think the parents have a little shortage on vit A and thats why the clutch is not good. The parents also have been laying some more cluches and the female is still taking care of other tadpoles. This adds to the lack of Vit A I think.

I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Old 02-28-2020, 06:22 PM

At least this little beauty is doing great. He or she is now 1 month and 2 weeks old.

Old 02-28-2020, 06:37 PM

May I buy it?
It is so cute 😍
Tijl likes this.
Old 02-28-2020, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimie View Post
May I buy it?
It is so cute 😍
Haha, I'm keeping this one!
Old 02-28-2020, 07:23 PM