Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Socratic Monologue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2019, 02:03 AM

Default Where are these Blue Jeans from?

I ask this out of nearly complete ignorance of the larger pumilio trade, and quite out of casual curiousity, since I have no intention of acquiring these or any other pums. But: where do all these 'Strawberry Blue Jeans' come from?

I don't wonder about the original collection locale, exactly, but rather whether these are farmed, WC, or...? Are they smuggled? I'm assuming they're all from roughly the same pipeline.

The screenshot I've attached is simply the latest ad I've seen for them, and I'm not making any judgments one way or the other regarding the vendor. Perhaps I'm opening a can of worms with this, but that's OK, I guess.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pum.jpg (43.4 KB, 118 views)

- Whitman

Last edited by Socratic Monologue; 01-12-2019 at 02:12 AM. Reason: better screenshot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2019, 07:50 PM

Default Re: Where are these Blue Jeans from?

I know this is extremely late to reply, but I believe most are imported from Nicaragua currently. What site were these being sold on?
Old 07-16-2019, 09:06 PM

Well, the shot above is from Nature Box Emporium, but pick your favorite large scale flipper and they'll likely have them at some point. I've seen them locally in small shops, too.

There has been some implication (understatement, in case you missed it) that these have crossed national boundaries before leaving Nicaragua (e.g. here: https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/ge...n-pumilio.html) or Panama (https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/id...lue-jeans.html). I assume many of these get laundered through European countries, too.

The country listed on export paperwork is not necessarily the country animals originate from, and I was trying to get a feel for what might be the likely true story behind those frogs. No one wanted to bite on this one, I guess.

- Whitman

Old 07-16-2019, 10:20 PM

A lot of them (currently at least) seem to be farm bred from Nicaragua as already mentioned. I tried to ask someone importing them if they knew which province his would be coming from and never got a reply... so I'm guessing they just have multiple farms across the country and mix em all together before transport. At the very least a lot of them seem to be true blue jeans (though from NIC and not CR), and not almirantes/man creeks etc from Panama. I'd be very careful about where you buy them from as most importers are probably not going to be checking for chytrid or treating for parasites.
Old 07-16-2019, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indrap View Post
A lot of them (currently at least) seem to be farm bred from Nicaragua as already mentioned.
Is there reason to believe that they are actually farmed, and not just represented as such? A few vendors (Snakes at Sunset, Nature Box) are right now offering WC -- sorry, 'field collected' -- but I wonder how such numbers of exports are sustained. Are there really that many to be collected in Nicaragua? Can commercial numbers be "farmed"? It is odd that this is the only morph/species that shows up like this in large numbers at non-specialty dealers.
Encyclia likes this.

- Whitman

Last edited by Socratic Monologue; 07-16-2019 at 11:11 PM.
Old 07-17-2019, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratic Monologue View Post
Is there reason to believe that they are actually farmed, and not just represented as such? A few vendors (Snakes at Sunset, Nature Box) are right now offering WC -- sorry, 'field collected' -- but I wonder how such numbers of exports are sustained. Are there really that many to be collected in Nicaragua? Can commercial numbers be "farmed"? It is odd that this is the only morph/species that shows up like this in large numbers at non-specialty dealers.
That is a good point I didn't consider (though I also just misspoke - I actually mean to say a non 0 number, but not "a lot"). I'm not sure if the FB frogs (at least of the importer I've talked to) are obtained in a sustainable way, I wonder if some exporters just throw that label onto their frogs. I'd be interested to hear from someone who knows more. Some people also just use the terms WC and FB interchangeably.
Old 07-17-2019, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indrap View Post
Some people also just use the terms WC and FB interchangeably.
I've not heard that, but I do hear people use CB (captive bred) and FB (farm bred) as if they were the same. Not relevant to frogs, really, but in the larger herp trade there's sometimes misleading claims of an animal being CB when in fact it was captive hatched from a gravid wild caught female who laid eggs (or gave birth) shortly after capture.

I did a little poking around (which would be easier if I had some Spanish language skills), and found that in Nicaragua farming reptiles, amphibians and arachnids for sale into the US market is a mainstream sort of thing (I did not find anything specific to dart frogs, though...):

https://www.efe.com/efe/america/soci...000013-3162225

https://www.elsoldeacapulco.com.mx/d...s-1804412.html

- Whitman