Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By erikm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2017, 01:31 PM

Default El dorado egg viability

So, I think I have the answer but I guess I just am hoping for positive news instead; are these eggs viable?

It looks like there is some type of morphing going on in a few eggs but the ones that are cloudy are obviously infertile.

Can i get some positive affirmation or is it all bad news =(

This is the first clutch I've seen, with a total of 8 eggs, but hope it's not the last. I've not had ANY experience with dart frogs eggs, no matter the genus, so it's all new and exciting!

Sorry, I lost my canon camera lens extension tubes which would make the pictures much clearer.

basically, on the picture to the right, the eggs on the left look like there's some morphing occuring but I'm not sure. They've been in there at least 2 weeks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170127_092343.jpg (98.2 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg 20170127_092402.jpg (94.5 KB, 43 views)

Last edited by CptnMayo; 01-27-2017 at 01:33 PM. Reason: more info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2017, 01:39 PM

Default Re: El dorado egg viability

Hi CaptnMayo,
I am far from an expert in pums, but these don't look viable to me :-( The goo around the eggs of viable clutches usually stays clear for me. Maybe I am interpreting the pictures wrong and maybe someone else with more experience with pums will say differently. Regardless, if this is early in the frogs' career of breeding, the good news is that they will probably get better at it over time. I would view the fact that they tried at all to be very good news.

Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnMayo View Post
So, I think I have the answer but I guess I just am hoping for positive news instead; are these eggs viable?

It looks like there is some type of morphing going on in a few eggs but the ones that are cloudy are obviously infertile.

Can i get some positive affirmation or is it all bad news =(

This is the first clutch I've seen, with a total of 8 eggs, but hope it's not the last. I've not had ANY experience with dart frogs eggs, no matter the genus, so it's all new and exciting!

Sorry, I lost my canon camera lens extension tubes which would make the pictures much clearer.

basically, on the picture to the right, the eggs on the left look like there's some morphing occuring but I'm not sure. They've been in there at least 2 weeks.
The Following User Says Thank You to Encyclia For This Useful Post:
CptnMayo (01-27-2017)
Old 01-27-2017, 01:41 PM

I'm going to add another few pictures that didn't happen on the initial upload...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170127_092359.jpg (94.3 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg 20170127_092354.jpg (92.4 KB, 27 views)

Old 01-27-2017, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encyclia View Post
Hi CaptnMayo,
I am far from an expert in pums, but these don't look viable to me :-( The goo around the eggs of viable clutches usually stays clear for me. Maybe I am interpreting the pictures wrong and maybe someone else with more experience with pums will say differently. Regardless, if this is early in the frogs' career of breeding, the good news is that they will probably get better at it over time. I would view the fact that they tried at all to be very good news.

Mark
Mark,

Thanks for the reply, I'm kinda just sitting around waiting before heading to class and have been wondering for a few days now.

I'm going to give it a few more days because a few do look clear but it may also be my imagination and hope. They're active alright, the male calls for seemingly hours some days.
Old 01-27-2017, 02:02 PM

Unfortunately I don't think these eggs are good. However the good news is you have eggs.. so stay patient, supplement well and you should have good eggs soon
Encyclia and Gibbs.JP like this.
CptnMayo (01-27-2017)
Old 01-27-2017, 08:18 PM

Should I remove eggs if they're infertile?