No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree10Likes
  • 7 Post By Pirateglow
  • 3 Post By Pirateglow

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2016, 03:01 PM

Default Frog in red frog story

For those that have seen The Red Frog Story documentary, can anyone tell me what morph the frog is at around 17 minutes into it. It is more yellow with spots. At least that is the way it looks on the screen? I've searched Dendrobase and did not see it there or may have just overlooked it. Here is the link to that documentary if you have seen it. It's well done. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DO8jAditfAk

Thanks for any help,

-Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2016, 04:18 PM

Default Re: Frog in red frog story

It is a pumilio Bastimentos, as all of the frogs in the video are. They can vary in color from white/cream to red, and just about every shade in between. Definitely a cool video.
Old 03-06-2016, 10:03 PM

OK then there is no morph name to it? I though there might be a specific name to look for just like all the other species like Tincs, Auratus etc. I'll keep searching to see if anything pops up.

Thanks.

Old 03-06-2016, 11:31 PM

Tincs and Auratus have different populations that don't mix. These different populations have developed different color patterns over the centuries since they don't inter-mix. The morph names refer to these different populations that have evolved to look different from each other.
In the case of the Bastimentos frogs, there is a population that has a wide variety of color variations. Since they are all one interbreeding population, the different colors don't have different morph names. FWIW, there seems to be only two areas on the island where these multicolored frogs exist together, the "cemetery" and the "old bank" areas. Frogs from these areas are generally referred to as the "cemetery" local, but not really a "morph".

Interestingly enough, the frogs in the red frog beach area are generally considered to be a place where all the frogs are deep red or at least red/orange. I wonder if the videographer had to stray away from Red Frog Beach in order to get enough footage of frogs or if the multi-colored frogs are starting to spread further afield.
Old 03-07-2016, 01:22 AM

Thanks for that explanation makes sense. Really appreciate it.

-Bob
Old 03-08-2016, 02:06 AM

Hi,

I think I can offer clarification here as I made the film. The footage at 17:00 minutes was shot March 2014, right outside Up In The Hill coffee shop (literally about 20 feet from where the deck is that they serve coffee on). At that location, the pale dotted frogs seem as common as the red/orange ones.

None of the frog footage shown in the film was shot at Red Frog Beach, as I could not find any frogs near the beach. The island, however, still has many areas with many frogs.

I hope the island makes changes to help the frogs, otherwise many morphs will disappear. Part of the problem is the species as a whole is classified as "least concern" for endangerment, but this classification does not take into account morphs. The species occupies a massive range, but the morphs occur in tiny micro environments. To me, this is similar to a small amazonian tribe's culture in danger of disappearing, while humans as a whole prosper. Species protection does not tell the whole story.

My personal opinion about the most exciting morph I capture on film is the one shown at 16:39, the white legs on this frog were simply gorgeous. This frog was filmed only 30 or so feet from the shore near Old Bank. Stunning color and patterns! The frog was healthy and aggressive, simply beautiful to film.

I deeply appreciate the attention my film is getting on this forum and I'll make anyone who sees this a deal, anyone who private messages me within 3 days with their mailing address, I'll mail a Save the Frogs, Red Frog Story sticker to (for free) (lets say 3/10/16 midnight PST).

Thanks everyone for caring about all the PDF's of the world (they need our help).
JBR, ryangreenway, terris and 4 others like this.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pirateglow For This Useful Post:
Drewbacca (03-09-2016), LoganR (03-09-2016), ryangreenway (03-08-2016)
Old 03-08-2016, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirateglow View Post
... I'll mail a Save the Frogs, Red Frog Story sticker...
As in savethefrogs.com - the site that wrote the following quote?

Quote:
Unlike zoos and laboratories, whose conservation services render the translocation of amphibians an occasional necessity, the amphibian pet and bait trades are for the large part disposable, that is, they are unnecessary, serving little benefit to society.
Old 03-08-2016, 02:58 AM

Most the public does not know of the the amphibian crisis.

To me "Save the Frogs" is a simple phrase that captures my passion to actually save the frogs. The sticker I made, is not associated with the website by the same name. My goal is to use a really awesome tiny red frog to ignite conservation passion for all frogs.

PFG, have you seen the film?
Old 03-08-2016, 03:05 AM

Yes, I just watched it. Just wanted to make sure there was no association with the organization. Of course I'm behind the notion of saving wild populations, just not in the HSUS and STF manner of destroying captive populations in the process.

EDIT: Not that I'm accusing you of that - just clarifying why I inquired about the potential association.

Last edited by PFG; 03-08-2016 at 03:08 AM.
Old 03-08-2016, 03:15 AM

I'm with you. In fact my personal opinion is that hobbyists are who care most about the frogs as science often only seems to recognized endangered SPECIES, not the micro local populations of unique color and characteristics that hobbyists obsess about.

I can't imagine how many morphs have recently gone extinct but will never be recognized as lost as they are not latin classified as a separate species (even though they took thousands of years to evolve from there ancestors).
Boondoggle, ryangreenway and PFG like this.
Old 03-08-2016, 06:01 AM

I'm glad I stumbled onto this post. I found the story quite fascinating and somewhat troubling. My wife and I will be visiting Red Frog Beach this May. It is our 10 year anniversary and she thought I'd love seeing thes pdf's in the wild. After watching the film, I'm afraid I may not get the chance to see any. Since this will be my first time visiting the Bastimento island, could you recommend some areas that may be good for viewing and photographing some of these little guys? One good shot would make the whole trip worth it!
Old 03-08-2016, 06:13 PM

Default Frog in red frog story

Fantastic film! Thank you for taking the time and passion to make and document these wonderful frogs. Clearly depicts the fragile yet resilient paradigm of what can happen when the simple and basic needs of the frogs are met like leaf litter, broms and untouched space. This is also a perfect example to anyone that wants to keep, breed and keep their frogs happy in a captive environment with the same principles of leaf litter, broms and space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-08-2016, 08:15 PM
TWI/ASN

This documentary has a lot of things wrong with it, although the main message of conservation is great.

First off there are hardly any Red Frog Beach frogs shown, and they are clearly there during the dry season and when the sun is at full splendor so naturally the frogs wont be out as much.
Secondly the population of frogs featured are the cementary locale, those of us who know frogs know this. The guy who made this short film is not a frogger obviously as he had to get footage from captivity from another guy to show that.
There are no poisonous snakes on the island of bastimentos, there are other snakes i have found such as cat eye snakes and coffee snakes and he shows a bushmaster at one point and a burmese python, which is from another side of the world. The prob in nature has always been deposition sites, so naturally when the owner of the boutique hotel started planting more deposition sites, the population increases.

http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/ven...340-julio.html
Old 03-08-2016, 10:33 PM

Thanks for your kind words.

Redeye_Mar: The island still offers dozens of excellent frog sites. If you are staying at Red Frog Beach, near the zipline tour frogs can often be found. For basically guaranteed sightings, head to the Up In The Hill Coffee Shop (easy to get to from Old Bank).

Julio: Thanks for watching, your right, the film includes no frogs filmed at Red Frog Beach, I haven't been able to find any the past few years. The two shots of the snakes in the film were both captive snakes, and your right, neither are native to island. I couldn't find any Bastimentos snakes to film (in the wild or captivity), but I wanted short clips of snakes to include in the film. Frog wise, all the oophaga pumilio were filmed as they were in the wild except the tadpole transport video (which a kind Spanish frogger let me use). I filmed frogs at about a dozen different locations on the island (all within hiking distance of Old Bank), including the cemetery but none of the frogs filmed at the cemetery made it into the film (the large bromeliad covered tree from the film is near the cemetery though on the back side of the hill). Finally, I don't keep frogs as pets, but I still deeply care about them. Have you been to Bastimentos? If not, I encourage you to go, I think you would be surprised by variety of morphs on the island and the variety encouraged at each spot.

Thanks for watching.
Old 03-09-2016, 01:04 AM
TWI/ASN

Hey Kendall,

Yes I have been there and have seen the diff population localities and the population of frogs at red frog beach has bounced back, however you will be hard pressed to find frogs during the dry season and they are only active before it gets too hot so best to look from 7-11 am after that what you find will just be luck as they burrow under substrate to keep cool unless is raining when they will out and about at any time of day.

Old 03-09-2016, 02:22 AM

That's good to hear. You are the first person I have met who has feels the frog population at the beach has recovered. I hope frogs have returned to the beach. When did you go? When filming we found many frogs at the other locations in both the mornings and afternoon, just not at the beach.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pirateglow For This Useful Post:
viper69 (10-31-2016)
Old 03-09-2016, 02:54 AM

I spent a week at Red Frog Beach this past July of 2015 with my family. I was pleasantly surprised how many Pumilio we were able to find, In fact they were everywhere and if we could not see them we could hear them.

Now that I think about it, I saw more Pumilio on that property in one week then I see American Toads here in NY all Spring, Summer and Fall combined in any given year.

I plan to go back again in 2017. I hope to see things will be of a similar nature at Red Frog Beach.
viper69 (10-31-2016)
Old 03-09-2016, 12:59 PM

Red Frog Beach Basti courting..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHd-xj_NTW0

John
The Following User Says Thank You to Sirjohn For This Useful Post:
viper69 (10-31-2016)
Old 03-09-2016, 01:51 PM
TWI/ASN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirateglow View Post
That's good to hear. You are the first person I have met who has feels the frog population at the beach has recovered. I hope frogs have returned to the beach. When did you go? When filming we found many frogs at the other locations in both the mornings and afternoon, just not at the beach.
i was there 2 years ago, again is all about the time of day and time of year you look for them, they are not gonna be by the beach during the dry season for obvious reason, but take 30 strides from the beach to the forest and they are there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypodium View Post
I spent a week at Red Frog Beach this past July of 2015 with my family. I was pleasantly surprised how many Pumilio we were able to find, In fact they were everywhere and if we could not see them we could hear them.

Now that I think about it, I saw more Pumilio on that property in one week then I see American Toads here in NY all Spring, Summer and Fall combined in any given year.

I plan to go back again in 2017. I hope to see things will be of a similar nature at Red Frog Beach.
yeah see, there are places on the property where you have to watch where you step.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirjohn View Post
Red Frog Beach Basti courting..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHd-xj_NTW0

These are true RFB as you can see the diff in coloration and pattern from the ones in your film.

The Following User Says Thank You to Julio For This Useful Post:
viper69 (10-31-2016)
Old 03-31-2017, 06:44 PM

Kendall, truly enjoyed your film, was appalled with all that garbage thrown in the jungle, human can be such parasites at times...