• 1 Post By tardis101
  • 2 Post By skylsdale
  • 1 Post By rigel10
  • 3 Post By Dendro Dave

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2015, 02:42 AM

Default Oophaga pumilio “Puerto Veijo”

Hi All,

I have acquired two adult Oophaga pumilio “Puerto Viejo” back in June 2015.

I have been extremely happy with this acquisition as I have found these frogs to be huge for pumilio, bold, active, great eaters (I can hear the popping of their tongues when they hit a FF!) and very beautiful. These frogs seem to glisten as their skin is always glossy and juicy in appearance.

Here are a few picks of my frogs-

August 27 2015 079-1.jpg
001.jpg
0061.jpg

I would love to hear from others on the board who are keeping this local of pumilio. I’d like to know who is breeding or has breed them and perhaps some tank shots. I’ve done some searches here and have not found too much info on this particular pumilio.

Unfortunately I believe both of mine to be female as I have not seen territorial type behavior, nor heard calling but have found eggs a few times. I believe the eggs were deposited due to the constant and loud calling from a "Caya de Aqua" in a neighboring tank which they both seem to react to.

If anyone has a known male available please let me know? I may be in the market to acquire. And if anyone thinks one of the above frogs looks like a male please feel free to chime in.

Thanks,

Gary
tardis101 and FroggyKnight like this.
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2015, 03:07 AM
Mod

Default Re: Oophaga pumilio “Puerto Veijo”

Very nice frogs! I don't think there are all that many of these around, and I think there have been even fewer folks having success with them. I have a pair from the very first import, and have produced a few froglets. I know of only one other person who has successfully bred them. Here are some pictures of my pair and one of their enclosure.

Old 10-13-2015, 03:25 AM

Hey Spaff,

Thanks and beautiful frogs too. I was afraid that these may have been a rarer local especially now that I believe mine are both female.

Your tank looks great. What size is it? I am in talks now to have a custom viv built at roughly 16.25 x 15" x 24" tall.

I own the "Complete Oophaga Pumilio" and this local seems to be absent in the book. I have heard that these were thought to be Bri Bri collected in Puerto Veijo. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks again,

Gary

Old 10-13-2015, 03:26 AM

Are these the ones that are thought to possibly be the same frogs as our old Bri Bri lines? ...Or did I totally imagine that something like that existed

Great frogs btw, i'd love a heads up if someone has some luck

Edit...

Ok so I see someone else snuck a reply in there wondering the same thing, so I"m not entirely crazy I guess. Always nice, when It seems I have retained a modicum of sanity after all
Old 10-13-2015, 04:07 AM
Mod

The CR imports that these were included with also included a locale named "BriBri", so I'd hesitate to call these the same as the BriBri frogs of old.

I think our BriBri old lines are similar to old line Blue Jeans and Black Jeans where frogs were imported and managed based on a phenotype and not necessarily a definite population. Costa Rican pumilio are much more phenotypically conservative, so a single phenotype can range over a long ways. I consider these a BriBri look from a definite site (the same can be said about the BriBri from the same import), whereas old line BriBri are likely a phenotype from any given number of sites.

Edit: The tank they are in is an 18x18x24. I think the size you're planning is comparable and would be just as effective.
Old 10-13-2015, 08:57 AM

www.DendroBase.de

Here they are indicated as the same of Bribri. However, I notice some differences in color between Puerto Viejo and Bribri, with more evident black pattern in Puerto Viejo.
I have Bribri and they are quite shy. I would do not mix them.
Old 10-15-2015, 01:18 AM

Thanks to the above for your responses.

I am not familiar with the old line BriBri vs. current BriBri. However I am not a scientist or geneticist but going strictly on physical appearances and behavior these frogs seem to be very different then other pumilio

I am familiar with those from Bocas Del Toro, Panama. My observations may be superficial but it is easy for me to entertain the idea that this frog appears to be quite different then say a Cristobal or Caya de Aqua. Both of which I also keep. I'm not sure how these compare to say Blue Jeans or Black Jeans Pumilio?

Here are a few more pics to enjoy-

October 2015 026.jpg

079.jpg

068.jpg
Dendro Dave and tardis101 like this.
Old 10-15-2015, 03:02 AM

Those are breathtaking. Red frogs are my favorites!
Dendro Dave likes this.
Old 10-16-2015, 03:16 PM
TWI/ASN

This isn't a rare locale...unless you count a Euro-tourist trap for gringos who want cheap drugs and reggaeton music on the Caribbean coast, rare. It's just a BriBri-like frog collected somewhere in or near the town of Puerto Viejo. Probably on the edge of a parking lot or in a garbage pile behind a restaurant. My personal thoughts are that our 'old school' BriBri were probably collected from around Puerto Viejo...but there's no data to back that up. They all range from a fairly solid red, to a red with little spots/speckles...to a nice rusty corrosion sort of look. It's variable throughout the BriBri-type frogs.

Here are some shots from frogs in the "wild":

gope and Bob like this.
Old 10-18-2015, 03:21 AM

Hi Skylsdale,

Thanks for sharing your pics of these frogs in the wild. I take it you've been to Puerto Viejo? You stated its "a Euro-tourist trap for gringos who want cheap drugs and reggaeton music on the Caribbean coast" and these frogs may have been "collected somewhere in or near the town of Puerto Viejo. Probably on the edge of a parking lot or in a garbage pile behind a restaurant."

I point out these quotes as my family and I are planning a trip to Costa Rica for next year and seeing this frog in the wild in Puerto Viejo is on my wish list. If it is an unpleasant place I'd like some clarification from someones who's been.

Thanks!

If anyone else here on Dendroboard has been to Puerto Viejo and has any feedback or pics to share please feel free to post some.

Here are a few more pics of my frogs I thought were nice-

054.jpg

062.jpg
Old 10-18-2015, 03:50 AM
TWI/ASN

I was told by a few people who visited Costa Rica even 10-15 years ago to definitely check it out. It used to be a sleepy little Caribbean village, the sort of stereotypical place you would want to spend a week or two. But there is a seedy underside, maybe due to its proximity to the Panamanian border. I wouldn't consider it wholly dangerous, but there is a definite influence from drugs and drug running. It's just not the 'dreamy' sort of place it used to be. During the day you'll be fine: check out the nature areas, the seaside eateries, the beaches. But at night, maybe go out in a group and be aware. But even then, there isn't so much a vicious side as a sad one: American and/or European college girls hanging on local guys who obviously have the stuff they want...

That being said, the area is still fantastic and I would recommend going. If you're looking for a relatively easy way to see this form of pumilio, definitely check out Finca la Isla Botanical Garden, which is a permaculture garden meshed in with secondary rainforest that provides an ideal place for pumilio, and there are lots of them around. Plus you get to see some fantastic plants, taste fruits you've never heard of and eat some pretty superb chocolate.

But the idea that these frogs are hopping around in utopian little patches of rainforest...well, they are an adaptable frog. The highest densities of pumilio I saw were in garbage piles behind one of the hotels. If there are deposition sites, there are frogs...and the more of the former there are, the more of the latter there will be.

Last edited by skylsdale; 10-18-2015 at 03:57 AM.
Old 10-18-2015, 09:55 AM

In fact, I remember your disbiotopic vivs with garbage to imitate the real places of frogs in their natural habitat.
Just surprised about these American/European college girls who go to these unsafe places for "the stuff they want".
Bengt likes this.
Old 10-19-2015, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylsdale View Post
This isn't a rare locale...unless you count a Euro-tourist trap for gringos who want cheap drugs and reggaeton music on the Caribbean coast, rare.
...I think you just planned my next vacation
skylsdale, FroggyKnight and topher like this.
Old 11-07-2015, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dendro Dave View Post
...I think you just planned my next vacation
Sounds good to me too Dave. Stoned coeds, cheap drugs, pumilio.....what a little slice of heaven. Too bad I have 2 kids in college...
Old 11-08-2015, 12:39 AM

There are two Puerto Viejos in CR. I've been to the coastal one many times and never seen this morph. I believe these are from the second inland Puerto Viejo.