Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2015, 12:27 AM

Default Female BriBri calling?

Hello, all:

I recently picked up a lovely pair of BriBri from a respected local frogger, who I haven't been able to get in touch with regarding this issue, so thought i'd turn to the board.

Though they have been in their new setup for only a couple of days, one of the pair has been very vocal, calling throughout the day, proclaiming his frogness to the world through a series of long ch-ch-ch-ch-ch pumilio calls. The other one sometimes follows the singer around, as I'd expect from a female.

So imagine my surprise when the definite male was ch-ch-ch'ing away, and was approached by the other frog, who sat facing him as he sang. When the male stopped, the presumed female suddenly puffed out her throat and let out a short, quiet version of the pumilio song. Just three chirps, "ch-ch-ch", and that was it. But it was definitely her, saw it with my own eyes and heard it with my own ears.

So, is there a definitive answer on whether female pumilio call? I searched the forum and found answers ranging from "It's well known that female pumilio never call" to "It's well known that female pumilio call, but differently and more quietly than males" and everything in between, so I thought I'd check to see if there's a certain answer to this question that I haven't found. These are lovely BriBri, and I hope that it is the sexed pair that I thought I was buying, but having found nothing clear about calling females, I'm not sure. Any help?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2015, 02:31 AM

Thanked 1,765 Times in 1,295 Posts
Default Re: Female BriBri calling?

Sounds to me like your subordinate male has decided that moving into his new vivarium, has given him the courage to challenge your dominant male.
I'm sorry, but only the males puff their throats.

Were you sold a proven pair, or a probable pair?
Old 08-16-2015, 03:27 AM

I was afraid so. They were sold to me as a certain m/f pair, even as having laid eggs. But I know this keeper keeps most of his frogs in groups, so he may have made an honest mistake. I'll try to contact him and see if he can rectify the situation before I get at all upset -- probably an honest error. Otherwise, guess I'll be in the market for female BriBri! Thanks for the info.

Last edited by herbivrus; 08-16-2015 at 03:54 AM.

Old 08-16-2015, 05:38 PM

Thanked 1,765 Times in 1,295 Posts

Sorry to hear it. Best of luck in finding an appropriate female. When I was keeping BriBri I ended up with 2 males, too, but mine were acquired as young, unsexed, frogs. Mine was just luck of the draw, and no fault of the breeder. It was actually a bit of a shock when I caught the suspected female calling. "She" was huge and fat. BriBri are such a large morph of pumilio, that the size of some males, can be surprising.
I purchased my BriBri from RobertN, here on Dendroboard. I am only listing his name as a possible source for a female BriBri. I know he has been working with them for many years. He might be do something right, as he regularly lists offspring here. If you would like any details about our transaction, I can't give them here, but you are free to pm me with any questions.
Give your breeder a chance first, of course. It's possible he accidentally gave you a much needed male, and is wondering why his viv is so quiet. He may still have a female for you.

I would like to point this out. You said they were likely in a group setting before. It is possible that aggression was minimal in his group. It is possible that in your viv, with no other frogs to "dilute" the aggression, your subordinate male may be bullied to death. Watch him closely and have a temporary viv ready, just in case.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pumilo For This Useful Post:
herbivrus (08-16-2015)