Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Species > Oophaga
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2015, 03:18 PM

Default Not transporting tads?

Has anyone ever experienced this? I have a pair of pums that will lay eggs and fertilize them every two weeks like clockwork. They lay five eggs, fertilize, and then let all five tads develop only to never transport them. They have done this with about 5 or 6 clutches now. There are tons of deposit and lay sites in their viv, they just lay eggs and all their tads to die every single time.

Anybody else ever experience this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2015, 04:21 PM

Default Re: Not transporting tads?

I had this problem with my man creeks a while back. They would have 2-3 clutched at a time and i got very frustrated that they weren't transporting. What i didn't realize is that they were transporting! I found froglets shortly after this. Depending on the frogs they can (or will) only care for so many tads at one time. I simply found that my trio was producing way more eggs than they could care for. They would care for the 4-5 that they transported and let the rest go to waste. This could be what your group is doing, i would take a detailed look at your deposit sites and see if you have any tads. However, it might take a while for them to get the idea of transporting and caring for their young and unfortunately some might never do it. Good luck!
Old 01-30-2015, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch3tt View Post
I had this problem with my man creeks a while back. They would have 2-3 clutched at a time and i got very frustrated that they weren't transporting. What i didn't realize is that they were transporting! I found froglets shortly after this. Depending on the frogs they can (or will) only care for so many tads at one time. I simply found that my trio was producing way more eggs than they could care for. They would care for the 4-5 that they transported and let the rest go to waste. This could be what your group is doing, i would take a detailed look at your deposit sites and see if you have any tads. However, it might take a while for them to get the idea of transporting and caring for their young and unfortunately some might never do it. Good luck!
That is true, thanks for the reply! I have found no tads in the deposit sites, but I don't want to flip to many film canisters around as some are empty of water and there are tads forming in their eggs. I don't know if they would transport after I spun their film canisters around.

The pair has two clutches in the viv at the moment. There are seven tads in their eggs right now so this time around maybe they'll transport. I did accidentally move one of the film canisters so hopefully that doesn't throw them off (if they even had transportation in their minds with these ones).

Old 01-30-2015, 04:31 PM

The eggs have been hatching at almost exactly 15 days every clutch, so the oldest of this batch will hatch Monday most likely. Hopefully they decide to transport that clutch.