Like Tree16Likes
  • 14 Post By Baltimore Bryan
  • 1 Post By cml1287
  • 1 Post By tarbo96

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2014, 10:36 PM
TWI/ASN

Default Wild Bastimentos populations, habitat info

I was down in Bocas del Toro a couple weeks ago, where I stayed at Red Frog Beach on Isla Bastimentos. One thing I was really curious about is the relationship between the different population on the island, so I went out looking for frogs and took some measurements.

Here is a link to the data I collected, with more info:
Bastimentos pumilio 1

Here is a summary of it:
I caught and measured frogs at 4 sites. One (I called Poly 1) is the familiar bastimentos with different phenotypes of red, orange, yellow, etc., known as "cemetery" in the hobby.
Another site was at red frog beach, which I called RFB1. There were two sites east of RFB1 where I found pumilio, and I called these sites RFB2 and RFB3. They were all red (although one seemingly unusual orange frog was found at each site...) but varied slightly in terms of spotting and leg coloration. I am about 95% sure (gut feeling, because I was walking alongside/through rainforest that looked to be good habitat the entire way between the two places) that RFB1, RFB2, and RFB3 are at least in some way connected, with phenotypes varying slightly at different ends of it. For this reason, I took an average of all three of these sites, which I called "all red frogs".

Average size Poly1 = 20.74mm
Average size "all red frogs" = 20.11mm
Average size of all frogs total = 20.21mm

I was a little surprised to not really see a more significant decrease in size moving from the western to eastern populations, because the frogs on the far east and southeast part like salt creek are smaller. My measurements did not show this trend, so I guess the size difference starts further away.

I also took temp/humidity measurements at some of the locations:
Average temperature (C/F) = 27.24C / 81.03F
Average humidity (%) = 64.35
Interestingly, the humidity was significantly higher for the "all red frogs" sites (70.25%) compared to the polymorphic site (55.5%). The temperature was similar for all sites and ranged from 78-84 F.

There's a bit more description of the observations of the frogs at each site, but here is a representative picture of each one:

Poly1

RFB1

RFB2

RFB3

And some habitat photos:

One thing I was very curious about is whether the polymorphic population was in some way isolated from the other frogs. To my surprise, I found polymorphic frogs where I still expected to find just red frogs. The sites with polymorphic frogs and just red frogs were close, but I could not exactly locate where they (may have) intersected. Once I was in a "red frog" place though, there was no sign of the polymorphic populations traits such as yellow, white, pink/orange, etc. colors, larger spots, brown legs, etc. so I do believe there is some barrier (whether an environmental or genetic) preventing the polymorphic frogs from popping up all over the island.

Thanks for looking,
Bryan

*Edit- In a couple days I plan to post more pictures of other frogs, animals and habitat, as well as the island, but I thought this stuff should be separate since it is specific to just the pumilio.
Jonny5, srrrio, Woodsman and 11 others like this.

Last edited by Baltimore Bryan; 03-21-2014 at 10:38 PM.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Baltimore Bryan For This Useful Post:
Azurel (03-22-2014), Brian317 (03-21-2014), charlesbrooks (03-29-2014), Dart guy 16 (03-22-2014), hypostatic (03-21-2014), randommind (03-21-2014), rigel10 (03-21-2014), skylsdale (03-25-2014), snake54320 (03-22-2014), stu&shaz (03-22-2014), tclipse (03-30-2014), Woodsman (03-25-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2014, 11:22 PM

Default Re: Wild Bastimentos populations, habitat info

Interesting work.
Old 03-22-2014, 01:22 AM

Interesting indeed. I just left Bocas two days ago, and I found some typical phenotypic variation as we see in the hobby in the populations near Old Bank. Hiking through the forest yielded few results for me until I was about a mile east of RFB, where I found several all red frogs, as you indicated, with hardly any phenotypic variation.

The lack of me finding frogs could be due to a few things, but primarily because my girlfriend was far more interested in "laying out on the beach" than looking for frogs. Go figure.

However, I did find a female with a tad on her back

Anyway, I can post the photos of the guys I found at both locations next week when I'm back in the states if you'd like. No size/environment data though.

Edit: looking through your size data measurement - do you think any of the data could be offset by the inability to determine age? I ask because the RFB population I observered had what appeared to be juvenile frogs present.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (90.5 KB, 105 views)
Baltimore Bryan likes this.

Last edited by cml1287; 03-22-2014 at 01:34 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to cml1287 For This Useful Post:
argus411 (03-29-2014)

Old 03-22-2014, 01:43 AM

So jealous, must have been a great trip. Very pretty frogs
Old 03-22-2014, 02:52 AM
TWI/ASN

Quote:
Originally Posted by cml1287 View Post
looking through your size data measurement - do you think any of the data could be offset by the inability to determine age? I ask because the RFB population I observered had what appeared to be juvenile frogs present.
Yes that is certainly a possible flaw in my data collection. I saw juvenile frogs at all locations, and several very young froglets too. I couldn't think of any reliable way to exclude immature frogs, so I just basically didn't catch frogs that I thought looked "small" compared to the others around them. Again, I couldn't account for any size difference because of males vs. females here either. I did note the gender if any frogs were known, and there were several calling males I caught, but there were only 2 transporting females I saw and I didn't want to try to catch/measure them with a tadpole on their back so they weren't included.
What I'm taking from the size data is that there is not a significant trend of decreasing size in these locations as I moved toward the small frogs in the far east parts of the island. Just by comparing the maximum size value at each site, the largest frog I measured was actually in one of the red frog locales.
Also I sent you a PM and it would be great if you could post your pictures of the frogs you saw on Bastimentos when you can.
Bryan

Last edited by Baltimore Bryan; 03-22-2014 at 02:54 AM.
Old 03-22-2014, 11:47 AM

Great stuff, its a shame four of us were in Bocas within a week of each other and didnt meet up. I want to try to go back this summer and get a group to go.

I unfortunately ran out of time and while I was at RFB didnt see any frogs. I was on other parts of the island close to salt creek and saw tons of frogs that look more like solarte or salt creek.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0145.jpg (85.9 KB, 69 views)
Baltimore Bryan likes this.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:41 PM
TWI/ASN

Funny i ust got back from there this past weekend.

http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/ven...340-julio.html
Old 03-24-2014, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cml1287 View Post
The lack of me finding frogs could be due to a few things, but primarily because my girlfriend was far more interested in "laying out on the beach" than looking for frogs. Go figure.
Sigh, I know this pain.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:04 PM
TWI/ASN

lol, guess we all had the same issue.

I only got to see the orange bastis and Cristobal, saw 1 red frog from the zip line tour. But it was crazy dry all over it seemed, a lot of the local ppl were complaining it had not rained in 2 months. so that prob had a lot to do with it.

Old 03-29-2014, 04:49 AM
TWI/ASN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio View Post
lol, guess we all had the same issue.

I only got to see the orange bastis and Cristobal, saw 1 red frog from the zip line tour. But it was crazy dry all over it seemed, a lot of the local ppl were complaining it had not rained in 2 months. so that prob had a lot to do with it.
There are lots of frogs in some areas near that zip line. I remember 4-5 distinct areas on that trail through where I saw more than 10 frogs in about a small area, and they are spread throughout but just harder to see from the trail in other parts. It is pretty amazing how elusive they can be whenever you are looking for them sometimes!
I've been busy the past couple days but hopefully by the middle of this week I'll be able to post more pictures of the frogs, habitat, island, etc.
Bryan
Old 03-29-2014, 12:01 PM
TWI/ASN

Wish I had time to search unfortunately our zip line tour ran really late as a tree fell on one of the lines and the staff had to go get a saw and cut it down while in the middle of it all, if not I would have came back and looked for some to take pics