Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Dendroboard

Dendroboard (https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/)
-   Oophaga (https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/oophaga/)
-   -   O.Histrionica (https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/oophaga/168346-o-histrionica.html)

lukeklos 03-18-2014 05:13 PM

O.Histrionica

Started doing some reading on these frogs on the web.
Then I came to DB to get more in depth discussions and I can only find a handful of posts about these guys.
Why are they so elusive to the hobby?
Is it the price?
The rarity?

Just looking for some answers, as I would like to own a pair one day.

Thanks in advance.

LukeKlos

Dendro Dave 03-18-2014 05:30 PM

Re: O.Histrionica

It's both, plus the legality.

There are legal ones around from years back, and then I don't know maybe some of the histros are now slyvatica or vise/versa... I'm not up on all that as much as some other people, but basically they're rare, they're pricey and some are of questionable origin. Also given the high demand and low numbers, most of the buy/sell/trading of these goes on in private. There just isn't a need to advertise for most of the people who have them and are willing to part with them.

The only recent legal imports of similar frogs I can think of off hand are the understory Slyvatica's
Oophaga sylvatica | Understory Enterprises

And hopefully Tesoros will get to do their imports of histrionica...
Frogs

Occasionally people import them from the EU I think. Maybe other people know of more that have come in :confused:

The bullseye morphs are mostly what I like. Basically I like red, blue, black, white, and green frogs. If they're brown, yellow, orange etc.. I'm often not a fan. So I don't keep well informed on histrionica since most of the ones I like aren't here yet... at least not within my reach, but I hope that info helps some :)

lukeklos 03-18-2014 06:32 PM

Yep, that helps a lot!
Thanks!

Dr Christopher McHale 04-09-2014 06:17 PM

I am actually searching for these guys as well.

Thanks for the information.

Froger2014 06-22-2015 07:28 AM

I'm interested in the blue pangan which is same family there mostly blue and some red but very hard to find for sale. If you could pointe in the right direction or if anyone had more info were to look would be cool

Froger2014 06-22-2015 07:30 AM

And if I could find a pair in Europe how hard would it be to get them here?

stu&shaz 08-28-2015 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Froger2014 (Post 2402850)
And if I could find a pair in Europe how hard would it be to get them here?

I'm in the uk very hard from here,I would think. The EU possibly easier,but honestly I'd wait for Teroros frogs now. I've no idea on prices but good health in an already valuable animal the source,sustainable,so many facets that would make it worth waiting years for ,for me at least.

But yup, if I had a goodly sum of money and was all set up for another morph of large oophaga, Tesoros or wikiri would be my first choice(although wikiri have only released sylvatica I believe).

I think it is very important that the old lines that we have are carefully nurtured,so much work and study has gone into getting us to a place where we can actually breed and rear these amazing frogs now,in my eyes they are equally important.

But.....
Having a completely legit sustainable facility breeding Colombian frogs in captivity in Colombia to me is a milestone. It needs customers to thrive,I also see this form of biocommerce as a very positive thing for wild frogs and our hobby,so yup I'd pay for these frogs(one day:)) if someone wants to keep then really it seems right to recommend the same path

Def a better option than an EU import,buy from a conservationist:cool::D

Stu