Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Dendroboard

Dendroboard (https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/)
-   Oophaga (https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/oophaga/)
-   -   Esperanza (https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/oophaga/158426-esperanza.html)

SHADES254 01-31-2014 11:42 PM

Esperanza

I was just curious about the relative size of this species of Pumilio in relation to
the many other frogs in the family group. I am thinking of picking up a trio and was
in need of more information from those who have them and have experience raising
the type. Should they be kept in the typical 1.2 and what size tank is best ? Also
what is their relative adult size ? Thanks, all comments are much appreciated.........

Tincman 02-01-2014 12:00 AM

Re: Esperanza

You definitely want 1.2 if going for a trio of them. Esperanza are probably just over an inch & have decent girth (mine do anyway, they are probably a medium sized Oophaga)…They are awesome frogs because the offspring are highly variable, any color parents will throw anything from Red/Red-blue Green & solid Blue babies..Im Not an Oophaga expert by any means, but Id say 18X 24" tall Exo/ZooMed would be optimal(Minimal) for a trio of most medium to large Pumilio(the issue with using say a 20H wouldn't be noticeable until breeding starts)… From what my friends have told me they males in Pumilio like to climb & call from high points in the cages so it is the breeding that particularly necessitates the larger habitat…Especially considering that if and when you get froglets they will also be living in the tank for the first 5-6 months which is crucial for their fragile upbringing. THey will require space to hide & evade territorial adults… Hope this helps a bit, Im sure even better advice will come in right behind me… IM still learning about this wonderful species..:)

markpulawski 02-01-2014 12:37 AM

Yes they are decent size, they may come off slightly smaller than basti's but it may be because of their muted color. I am not sure of their demeanor, even the mellowest frogs are great when they are bold.

oldlady25715 02-01-2014 01:21 AM

Their size seems about the same as Christobals and Salt Creeks to me. I find the juveniles to be a little more finicky to raise than some others, but still not difficult. I also enjoy seeing what the offspring look like with all the inherent variability. Of course that variability can be a good and bad thing--depending on your preferences.

SHADES254 02-01-2014 11:00 PM

Thanks everyone for all that excellent feedback, it definitely helps me out and gives
me some sense of direction. I only have basti at the present, but really like the looks
of the esperanza ! :)

Tricolor 02-02-2014 12:56 AM

Not sure what I did but looks like I sent a thank-you lol
espy's are neat little frogs. In one of my pairs I have what looks like a drab brown frog but when he decides to sun bath under the light he has a violet sheen. You can see some of my espy froglets on 2nd page of for sale froglets

PDFanatic 02-04-2014 02:36 PM

I absolutely love my Esperanza...they are really bold and always out and about. A great purchase imo!!

oddlot 02-04-2014 03:41 PM

Like everyone else said they are a decent size,however I find the babies to be small,so if you plan on breeding them,up your springtail stockpile.I have a pair in a 24x18x18.I got them at frog day in September and they already have froglets.My pair is dark blue with a dark green back.Both parents look the same but have offspring that look escudo ish.`