Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Dendroboard

Dendroboard (https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/)
-   Oophaga (https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/oophaga/)
-   -   Fresh Import RFB Basti's (https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/oophaga/150234-fresh-import-rfb-bastis.html)

markpulawski 12-29-2013 08:11 PM

Fresh Import RFB Basti's

Here is a pic of my male RFB Basti's just out of QT, putting him in the tank today after a rough week of treating, then a week of feeding out. I thought I was going to lose both but after Chytrid/Batryl treatments both responded well and started feeding like pigs, will get a pic of the female in a couple of days when I drop her in the tank, I wanted to separate for a few days to enhance their feeding.
http://i405.photobucket.com/albums/p...psa58ca150.jpg
http://i405.photobucket.com/albums/p...ps1ad437ba.jpg

markpulawski 12-29-2013 08:14 PM

Re: Fresh Import RFB Basti's

And for those wondering there were only 6, I got the last 2 which I think are a pair....I just hope whoever got the other 4 realize what they are.

oddlot 12-29-2013 08:50 PM

Nice looking frog Mark.I'm glad you were able to pull them through!

MD_Frogger 12-29-2013 09:17 PM

Verified local specific RFB? It's like the holy grail of basti's coming to fruition! Pretty but they look like any other basti though :/.

markpulawski 12-29-2013 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD_Frogger (Post 1693946)
Verified local specific RFB? It's like the holy grail of basti's coming to fruition! Pretty but they look like any other basti though :/.

I have not seen an import Basti that looked like these for about 6 years, outside of ones I acquired in a trade, seeing lots of them in person one would appreciate the nuance of difference between these and the several hundred imported over the last several years.

tarbo96 12-29-2013 09:39 PM

Definately not like all others. Mark, what are their undersides like?

markpulawski 12-29-2013 09:54 PM

The one pictured has the same red color through the throat area with an all white belly, the hopeful female has an all white underside (with no dark throat spot). I will get pics of hopeful her tomorrow....honestly Ali I wish all Basti's did look like this. Real clean red/orange with white feet and bright white undersides, solid coloring on top....bold and beautiful, between those and Drago Colons, not sure which is my favorite.

FroggyKnight 12-29-2013 10:00 PM

Stunning frogs! Get those guys breeding;)

MD_Frogger 12-29-2013 10:00 PM

I guess that was too much of a blanket statement. I'm just wondering what the difference is for instance between your verified guy and say this guy I kept a while back:

http://i451.photobucket.com/albums/q...n/IMG_4691.jpg

I also had another one that was much more similar to your male but I just can't find the pic.

Either way...if I were to keep a more "common" Oophaga it would with out a doubt be basti's. Their beautifully colored variabilty can only be rivaled by the Branco IMO. Hope they breed for you Mark. It would be nice to inject some verified RFB into the hobby. I'm sure a lot of vets are envious of your addition :).

markpulawski 12-29-2013 10:22 PM

Ali if a group of 10 came in like yours pictured with little variability it would be a good bet they were RFB. They did come in mixed with other locale's for at least a couple of years mostly during the initial Panama imports, sadly they have been excluded over the last 5 or 6 years. Great frogs, slightly smaller than Cemetary's and similar locale's but consistent with all red bodies (some would argue orange), small spots and bright white underbellies. A morph not truly appreciated until after the imports had stopped. I could pick out 15 or 20 in a 50 frog shipment around 2004 or 2005 and several of those were sent to ABG during this time. I hear they survive in the canopy on one of the rain forest rooms at ABG to this day.
I would also suggest I have not seen one like your picture imported in quite a while either, I did sell a pair or 2 up your way around 2008 or so, could those have been those frogs?

MD_Frogger 12-29-2013 10:30 PM

Your timeline is spot on. I acquired that guy through Chris Dulaney of the second iteration of Dart Frog Depot who acquired him when he bought the business. If I recall correctly he was indeed a 2004 import. That was before my start in the hobby so I'm not sure how many other like him came in. I guess you are right though, of the limited recent imports I've seen(you seem to have access to all the imports, especially the unique ones) none really are smaller, bright and fine spotted like your male.

tarbo96 12-29-2013 10:44 PM

I am having the same issue with the older imports. Mine are definitely not cemetery, but not verified RFB.

Baltimore Bryan 12-29-2013 11:24 PM

Those look great! I'll be back in Red Frog Beach in a few months, and one of my goals is to check out the frogs in between the cemetery and rfb populations to see if there is intergrade or a clearly defined separation between the two. I could also try to measure the sizes of frogs in each population to see if one type is smaller on average than the other. If there's anything else you guys can think of (that's relatively simple) that I could do there to help shed some light on the differences between the two (and possibly which are in the hobby), please let me know! They are stunning for sure, and I'd be interested to see if the offspring keep the same pattern and coloring as the adults.
Bryan

MD_Frogger 12-29-2013 11:28 PM

My red guy threw no to fine spots with each offspring he produced and a couple of his mates were for sure cemetery locals. This has no scientific justification but maybe the RFB are an intermediary between the smaller salt creeks and larger cemetery? Is this geographically possible?

hypostatic 12-30-2013 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markpulawski (Post 1693842)
And for those wondering there were only 6, I got the last 2 which I think are a pair....I just hope whoever got the other 4 realize what they are.

Well, I for one think it would be a great injustice if you didn't post pictures of all of them on the thread!

TerraFerma 12-30-2013 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD_Frogger (Post 1694258)
My red guy threw no to fine spots with each offspring he produced and a couple of his mates were for sure cemetery locals. This has no scientific justification but maybe the RFB are an intermediary between the smaller salt creeks and larger cemetery? Is this geographically possible?

That kind of what these guys kinda sorta seem like to me..whatever they are:

http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/oop...take-stab.html

Way smaller than than Cemetery...white bellies...not so many spots but a few.

oddlot 12-30-2013 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hypostatic (Post 1694378)
Well, I for one think it would be a great injustice if you didn't post pictures of all of them on the thread!

He said he would take a pic of the hopeful girl tomorrow and the other 4 were gone before he bought them.

hypostatic 12-30-2013 02:52 AM

Ah, i misread then. Guess I was just a little too excited about seeing pictures of such beautiful frogs

Judy S 12-31-2013 12:40 AM

can you share your protocol for your treatment for the Chytrid/Batryl treatment--duration, method, etc. I can understand the implications for recommendations to others...but know what YOU do seems to be okay....especially in light of recent threads about the issue of compromised frogs...thanks if possible to share...

FroggyKnight 12-31-2013 12:52 AM

You beat me to it Judy! I was going to ask about his procedures as well:D

markpulawski 12-31-2013 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Judy S (Post 1696170)
can you share your protocol for your treatment for the Chytrid/Batryl treatment--duration, method, etc. I can understand the implications for recommendations to others...but know what YOU do seems to be okay....especially in light of recent threads about the issue of compromised frogs...thanks if possible to share...

The Batryl is a syringe I get from a friend in the import business, after losing frogs during 1 import he ID'd a bacterial infection and with the use of Batryl actually saved the remainder of the frogs, I don't know the solution strength but I am sure it is a mix of Batryl and water but I put 1 drop on the back of the frog per day (which usually turns into 2 - 3 drops) for 6 to 7 days. As for the Chytrid I dissolve 2 different antifungal meds into warm water and bathe the frog for about a minute, totally submerging 3 or 4 times during that minute....this is a rough treatment for the frogs as near the end of the bath they become very unresponsive and I have actually had 1 animal die at the end of a treatment. I do this 2 times 3 to 4 days apart.
I don't advocate anyone use my methods, unscientific and unproven but they just happen to work for me. For me the best thing you can do with frogs is observe them, if not acting normal act, if acting normal keep observing. I do a Chytrid treatment on all frogs due to the fact they can act normal up to a day or 2 before they die and from what I hear they can carry it now without dying. Antibacterial I would only use on frogs not acting normal as the meds knock out the good bacteria with the bad
I certainly suggest people get their frogs tested and then if need be treated by a vet, hopefully treatment is not necessary, that's what we all hope for when receiving frogs.

markpulawski 01-01-2014 02:36 PM

tarbo96 01-01-2014 03:17 PM

Very nice Mark! Those are sweet.

whitethumb 01-01-2014 03:27 PM

lovely... i love the stokak brom and the vanilla vine. you wouldn't happen to have any more? ;)

stu&shaz 01-01-2014 03:32 PM

Wonderful to see them with you Mark,lets hope they are a pair and you can get them going.Thankyou also for the treatment regime,if you ever get chance to find out the baytril strength I would love to know.

Happy new year to you sir thanks for all the help you have given us,with our collection

Beautiful frogs ,what can I say

Stu and Shaz