facebook

Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By oldlady25715
  • 2 Post By SmackoftheGods
  • 3 Post By markpulawski

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2013, 01:57 AM

Default How many Pumilio Guapiles fit in 180 gallon

I am working on a tank. ( http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/par...-67-build.html )

I currently have been offered a custom built 4ft tall 3 ft wide and 2 feet deep front door opening tank for 150$. I am thinking about getting it but I wanted some opinions. This is a 180 gallon tank and I am wondering how mating would go between frogs. I will be getting 2 Guapiles soon and plan on holding them in a tank until this is finished. How many more would anyone suggest I could keep in here? What ratio? I imagine it will depend on how the frogs react and I will need to keep and eye on them but if I wont see my frogs a lot cause I can only keep a few in this huge tank I may get a smaller tank. Interested in thoughts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2013, 03:17 AM

Default Re: How many Pumilio Guapiles fit in 180 gallon

Depending on planting, up to 2.5. You could MAYBE do more, it really depends on the frogs themselves. Some seem more "pushy" then others. 1.1 is always a good start, though. Then make babies.
Old 11-17-2013, 03:21 AM

I'd venture to say try a 2:3 group as long as there is lots of cover and
Egg laying spots. No matter how many you get, introduce the males simultaneously so that they can setup their territories at the same time. If you put your pair in first they will defend the tank against new arrivals, especially new males.

Be sure to post some pics since sounds like a nice setup. I've been considering a rio Branco group in a planted 36'x18'x36' exo I have.
thedude and Blue_Pumilio like this.

Old 11-17-2013, 03:44 AM
TWI/ASN

180 gallons is big, but standard frog territories are massive by comparison.... Females aren't generally that aggressive, but males will tear each other apart when left to their own devices.... Personally I wouldn't do more than one male, but depending on just how well you set it up, you might get away with two males.... Females you have a little more leniency, and the male will likely mate with all of them. I'd go minimum 1.2, if you want more 1.3. Again depending on what you want you might try 2.3 or 2.4.... But I'd stick with the 1.3 idea....
markpulawski and cbreon like this.

Division: Frog Police
Old 11-17-2013, 03:16 PM

I agree with Jake, 1.3 would defer aggression over 3 animals rather than 1 dominant one beating up 1 other frog all of the time and also in agreement that 180 sounds big but it is not in relative terms. I recently had a 1.3 in an 80 and the dominant female did ride the other 2 around once in a while but I know 2 of the females bred with the male ( I recently harvested 6 just morphed Uyama froglets from this group). I would advocate 1.1 with obligates, I know trios get talked up a lot but I for one would submit 1.1 is usually the best choice, especially when we are dealing in 40 gallon tanks or less.
Get the tank, big tanks are really a joy to plant up and watch and 1.3 really nice Pumilio in it would be even more satisfying.
cbreon, SmackoftheGods and zach77 like this.

Tags
build, gallon, pumilio, tank