No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Dendrobati

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2013, 01:59 PM

Default Cristo-Male Wont Eat

Hi!
6 weeks ago I purchased a trio of cristobals; a pair and one of their offsprings.
The male started to call after 5 minutes in the tank and everything was fine.
The last 3 weeks, the male has got quite skinny, and the female and the offspring is very fat and healthy.
Last week, i noticed what i belive was a calling-attempt from the offspring. Beliving this may be the reason the male didnt eat, i moved the offspring to another tank( he/she is doing great). This was a couple days ago, and i dont see the male eat or call anymore. The pair is also very shy, getting panic when i come close to the terrarium.
Terrarium is 40*40*50 CM, humidity and temperatur should be okey. I only have one larger brom wich they use for hiding, since the terrarium is only some months old it has not exploded with growth yet. Maybe adding some more hidingplaces should help, but the female is doing great..
I dust small fruitflys and what i have of springtails(not very much) with dendrocare (it should be said it was out of date 1 month ago) and calsium powder, every feeding wich is every day.
Cristos, and pums, arent availebal here at all..
What could be the problem?
I will try to catch some photos!
Thanks for answers
Best regards!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2013, 02:31 PM

Default Re: Cristo-Male Wont Eat

It is strange! My Cristos are very bold. My Cristo male rarely goes on the ground. It is better if you increase the amount of food (ff, woodlices, springtails) and check daily your frogs. (I never used Dendrocare, I use now Repashy).
Old 11-03-2013, 03:35 PM

My male is in the leaf on the ground and in the top, it looks like he is hunting, but he doesnt get any fatter.. They have enough food at every time, so that is not the problem. I actually just suspect stress to be a factor.

Old 11-03-2013, 04:49 PM

I told you of my Cristo male, because he was always in the top, so I fed him with springtails that I put between the broms where he was.
If your male goes hunting, it is well. Probably he eats springtails. Sometimes some frogs are thin (for example my epips Highland male). If it is an adult male, he is not frightened by an offspring. However, you were right to move this: you have removed the causes of stress.
Old 11-05-2013, 12:51 PM

Well, i put springtails and flies everywhere in the tank, that is not the problem. Its just that he has stopped to eat & call..
Old 11-05-2013, 01:54 PM

Hi bendick2112,

Since you've had the cristobals, have you run fecals or chytrid test? Your signs are concerning for sure. That is where I would start.

Do all of the other frogs look fine?

You measure the tank in CM, so I'm guessing you're not in the US? I can recommend some places for test in the US, but I don't know the market over seas.

Brad
Bcs TX likes this.
Old 11-21-2013, 11:24 PM

Hi! All my other frogs seems fine!
I have not run any types of tests, they are impossible to get my hands on over here..
The situation is still the same. The female has a mega-belly, and the male is very skinny, no calling either.. I feed a lot, and he is just walking around in the leaf, but it doesn't seems like he's eating. It don't seems like i can do anything about it, i feed with springtails, flies.
Thanks!
Old 11-22-2013, 12:44 AM

I would feed less more often an give springtails at least several times a week, plus get new supplements. If he continues to decline (no pics so hard to tell how thin he is) I would pull him and put him in a 10 g with pothos, plenty of leaf litter and springtails.
Old 11-22-2013, 11:28 AM

Yep, i feed springtails a couple times a week, and flies every day. New supplement is coming soon hopefully! He is not at the edge of starving to death, but he is quite skinny. I will try to snap some photos soon. Thanks for advices, appreciate it!
Old 11-22-2013, 11:35 AM

These photos isn't good at all, but its what i could get of my super shy anorexia male..

(He usually don't lay in the water, its because this is his safest hideout when i open the door!)

And the offspring;