Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Dendroboard

Dendroboard (https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/)
-   Oophaga (https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/oophaga/)
-   -   Guápiles Oophaga pumilio (https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/oophaga/127673-guapiles-oophaga-pumilio.html)

Armson 09-19-2013 06:26 PM

Guápiles Oophaga pumilio

Has anyone bought these?

Do you have pictures?

-B

simonphelps 10-19-2013 03:34 AM

Re: Guápiles Oophaga pumilio

I'm going to strongly second this seems how it has been a few months, there aren't any pictures yet and there haven't been any responses to this post. I think I'm not the only one that would love to see these guys in their enclosures.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Armson (Post 1496033)
Has anyone bought these?

Do you have pictures?

-B

JonRich 10-27-2013 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simonphelps (Post 1554562)
I'm going to strongly second this seems how it has been a few months, there aren't any pictures yet and there haven't been any responses to this post. I think I'm not the only one that would love to see these guys in their enclosures.

Any Pix of yours ?

whitethumb 10-27-2013 03:56 PM

they look pretty much like the pics floating around

simonphelps 10-27-2013 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonRich (Post 1569882)
Any Pix of yours ?

How did you know I had these ordered? I'm just chillin out right now while I patiently wait for them to get shipped my way. The way I do this is seeing others pictures of them to feed my soul. :D

I imagine as I have heard they are pretty identical across the board but it would still be great to see them. (Bellies, legs and full body shots)

bastimentos 10-27-2013 05:15 PM

I ordered some about two months ago but never received them.

simonphelps 10-27-2013 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bastimentos (Post 1570034)
I ordered some about two months ago but never received them.

I want to clarify im not saying anything positive or negative about still being in the process of getting guapiles and I'm not trying to turn this into a feedback thread and or gossip. All I said is I'm in the process of getting some.
(Correct me if I am wrong but I think feedback is where customers get their chance to express if they have problems)

Anyways, back to to the great questions Armson asked ...still looking forward to some pictures if anyone has any.

bastimentos 10-27-2013 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simonphelps (Post 1570122)
I want to clarify im not saying anything positive or negative about still being in the process of getting guapiles and I'm not trying to turn this into a feedback thread and or gossip. All I said is I'm in the process of getting some.
(Correct me if I am wrong but I think feedback is where customers get their chance to express if they have problems)

Anyways, back to to the great questions Armson asked ...still looking forward to some pictures if anyone has any.

Just stating my experience with Guapiles pumilio nothing about any vendor..

Blue_Pumilio 10-28-2013 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simonphelps (Post 1554562)

Several people have these animals in their enclosures (including the original poster). It was a limited import, these are not Panama frogs, not many come in.

As for Simon, he is receiving animals on my next shipment, I believe (unless he changed his mind). He seemed very interested in this locale, and I'll be happy to offer him some when the new ones land.

Anyways, just thought I would clear these things up.

Armson 10-28-2013 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue_Pumilio (Post 1571378)
Several people have these animals in their enclosures (including the original poster). It was a limited import, these are not Panama frogs, not many come in.
Anyways, just thought I would clear these things up.

The "original poster" would love to get his Tree fern panels so he can get cracking on that fancy schmancy Sherman tank that he bought for those pretty frogs.

-B

Armson 10-28-2013 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonRich (Post 1569882)
Any Pix of yours ?

I will post a pic of the trio I bought later this evening.

-B

simonphelps 11-02-2013 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Armson (Post 1571434)
I will post a pic of the trio I bought later this evening.

-B

So how about those pictures... Looking forward to them:D

JonRich 11-02-2013 02:46 PM

Is it April 1st already? Let's see them pix!!

Armson 11-02-2013 04:13 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Ok ok

fine!
Taken with my iPhone in a dark room with my eyes closed

So not a word about how crappy they are.

I will post some more later....

rigel10 11-02-2013 06:09 PM

They are very nice! Bright colors! Congrats

boombotty 11-03-2013 01:48 AM

Nice looking BJ's, but look more WC than the supposed "FR".

JonRich 11-03-2013 02:28 AM

Ok, I need a pAir

simonphelps 11-03-2013 02:33 AM

I agree... best looking frogs in the hobby IMO. I'm hoping to see more pictures...They are so amazing to look at and appreciate.

ZookeeperDoug 11-03-2013 03:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boombotty (Post 1584689)
Nice looking BJ's, but look more WC than the supposed "FR".

What does a WC frog look like vs FR?

markpulawski 11-03-2013 12:59 PM

I think most would assume a CB animal to be nice and clean with no scratches in the colored areas, WC animals tend to be scratched up a bit by the time they arrive or at least a % do. That's why I like to go through imports, to find those that look like they could have been CB, where the colored areas are nice and clean.
Now FR vs WC vs CB, we all know there are varying degrees of how these terms are interpreted. I think most people assume FR frogs out of Costa Rica would be like our CB frogs in tanks, obviously this is not the case but are they also "farming" in the manner of Panamanians (but in much smaller numbers), I would say that is definitely possible.

ZookeeperDoug 11-03-2013 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markpulawski (Post 1585249)
I think most would assume a CB animal to be nice and clean with no scratches in the colored areas, WC animals tend to be scratched up a bit by the time they arrive or at least a % do. That's why I like to go through imports, to find those that look like they could have been CB, where the colored areas are nice and clean.
Now FR vs WC vs CB, we all know there are varying degrees of how these terms are interpreted. I think most people assume FR frogs out of Costa Rica would be like our CB frogs in tanks, obviously this is not the case but are they also "farming" in the manner of Panamanians (but in much smaller numbers), I would say that is definitely possible.

Right, but, wouldn't a FR animal imported from Costa Rica go through the same "scratching up" as a WC frog during the importation process?

I guess I can see that perhaps the WC frogs might get a little more roughed up during capture and transport to whatever sort and packing facility, but I doubt there is enough of a difference that the person who I originally questioned could tell the difference.

Once they're packed in those tiny deli cups and shipped here is when they endure the most stress and physical abuse.

There is certainly a difference in the CB vs WC or FR.

Basically I think that comment was a thinly veiled attempt to rehash the debate about wether or not these frogs are FR or WC. That's a fine debate to have BTW.

markpulawski 11-03-2013 02:35 PM

Perhaps a new thread and trying not to derail but packaging a frog for shipment even for export should not create the look some WC have when imported. I don't think most of these frogs look this way due to being caught and held, most imports don't look to have fresh scrapes but it seems more a function of growing up in the wild and the tribulations there in.
Maybe some of these frogs have a scratched pattern as part of their variability, but in the case of Armson's frog, would that frog always produce a solid red backed frog or could there be black inclusions in the red color pattern, those that are not the black/blue spotting we see in some "strawberry darts". I think a round of photos of offspring from these imports would tell us a lot, hopefully we will see a decent sampling of babies out of these guys and the other CR imports over the next few months by which we can at least make some assumptions. As long as adult frogs that have a scratched up look are imported, many will look at them with a certain opinion.

ZookeeperDoug 11-03-2013 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markpulawski (Post 1585457)
Perhaps a new thread and trying not to derail but packaging a frog for shipment even for export should not create the look some WC have when imported. I don't think most of these frogs look this way due to being caught and held, most imports don't look to have fresh scrapes but it seems more a function of growing up in the wild and the tribulations there in.
Maybe some of these frogs have a scratched pattern as part of their variability, but in the case of Armson's frog, would that frog always produce a solid red backed frog or could there be black inclusions in the red color pattern, those that are not the black/blue spotting we see in some "strawberry darts". I think a round of photos of offspring from these imports would tell us a lot, hopefully we will see a decent sampling of babies out of these guys and the other CR imports over the next few months by which we can at least make some assumptions. As long as adult frogs that have a scratched up look are imported, many will look at them with a certain opinion.

Well I have 3 eggs currently developing with the parents looking very attentive. Hopefully I'll be able to answer some of those questions for us in the next few months Mark! ;)

simonphelps 11-04-2013 02:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZookeeperDoug (Post 1585577)
Well I have 3 eggs currently developing with the parents looking very attentive. Hopefully I'll be able to answer some of those questions for us in the next few months Mark! ;)

Maybe you can share some pictures when it's safe to take some:)

Armson 11-04-2013 02:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZookeeperDoug (Post 1585577)

Oh You Suck!

Blue_Pumilio 11-05-2013 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markpulawski (Post 1585457)

Mark,

They came in with marks and scratches due to two things.

1.) Being kept outside in screened enclosures.

2.) Staying longer then expected in the deli cups. USFWS was supposed to clear them on a Fri and didn't show up until Mon.

Each shipment, more and more of any of the issues are being fixed and at some point in the future they will come in "perfect". It's a lot easier here to just raise frogs up in a glass cage and throw in a deli cup and ship overnight, ten it is down there. So as long as they are imported, they may have some scars from that process. However, this next shipment we hope to have the delay during shipping greatly reduced, and hopefully improvements on the outdoor enclosures start to show as well.

bastimentos 01-11-2014 02:13 PM

Any more Guapiles owners have pictures?

Armson 01-11-2014 02:54 PM

I can take more pictures for you ?

bastimentos 01-14-2014 03:04 AM

That would be great! I just love the solid colors that most of these guys exhibit.