Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Species > Oophaga
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2013, 09:47 AM

Default How do Pumilio pick up tadpoles?

As the title really I've seen plenty with the tad on their back but no idea how it gets there

My pair of Blue Jeans laid their first eggs which developed and hatched ok but I don't think the parents moved them, I can see at least one that's still alive in the jelly mass about 2 weeks after hatching. It's grown in this time.

This morning I noticed the female on the jelly mass sort of hunched over, a difficult position to describe but kind of nose and butt down I haven't seen either parent anywhere near the mass since it was laid.

Am I hoping too much for her to be picking the little'uns up They have a second clutch of eggs that was laid a few weeks after the first and these are also developing well and I've seen the male 'watering' them.

Been looking for vids of pums picking the tadpole up but to no avail

Cheers
Huw
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2013, 11:20 AM

Default Re: How do Pumilio pick up tadpoles?

First eggs? They're probably still figuring things out. I don't think they forgot the babies, just give it time and they will do it.

If you are questioning whether or not they actually know where the eggs are, in the wild pumilio lay/ transport sometimes all the way up in the canopy. Every day, the female makes a trip to the forest floor to feed, and by some miracle, she makes a trip back up the right tree, to the right branch, finally to the right plant, to feed just one of here tadpoles. The other tad(s) could be close or far from that plant. It's one of the most impressive things about pumilio.
Old 06-07-2013, 02:01 PM
TWI/ASN

It's a difficult action to catch on video for a lot of reasons, but I have seen it in person a few times. Basically the tadpoles swim right up the legs and onto the back, very simple and very quickly.

Old 06-07-2013, 02:58 PM

Below is the link to a thread I posted a vid of my blue jeans picking up a tadpole.

I hope I do this correctly.

http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/mem...ng-2-tads.html
The Following User Says Thank You to miko12 For This Useful Post:
aberreef (06-07-2013)
Old 06-07-2013, 04:41 PM

Brilliant vid and exactly what I was looking for, thank you

I can't see whether she moved the tad or not but there's no movement in the egg cluster this afternoon, so fingers crossed.

Thanks for the replies guys, they really are fantastic little things. I've also got a trio of esperanza and a pair of cristobals that are fairly new additions but were breeding well before I got them. I can't see any eggs but am fairly sure they have laid already by their behaviour and calling. For such small frogs they are noisy little devils