IAD at MARS this year! - Page 6 - Dendroboard
Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard > Miscellaneous > Regional Group & Event Announcements > NorthEast
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2010, 03:01 AM

Default Re: IAD at MARS this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philsuma View Post
yep...without the dart frog vendors and customers....the show would have tanked.
Many thanks to those who stopped by my tables. Saturday sales were "brisk" but less than in years past...Sunday, from a sales standpoint, was a ghost town. Lots of people were there Sunday, but they must have been the $5 frog/snake buyers...
I have to admit I was a bit disappointed in only moving one ADULT PAIR of Matecho(had several), and that was because I donated them to the auction. Oh well, I'm fortunate to have tanks to bring them back home to...let's hope the economy improves soon!
Regards,
Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2010, 07:00 PM
TWI/ASN

Scott,

Sounds like you are reporting a down-turn from last year? I concurr with the Sunday observation. Sunday is a really odd second day. I heard 50 / 50 of the vendors say that it was really good for them or really bad.

Good news is....your auction donation is now.....legendary!

Overall , I almost doubled my transfered frogs from last year. I feel fortunate and am very pleased. Thanks everyone!

Couple hobbyists that I was looking forward to meeting didn't show but I still thought we had great "east coast" attendance !
Old 09-21-2010, 07:42 PM

this being my first true show i have attended, not including m.a.d.s. meetings, i was a bit unimpressed. i first have to admit that i realized before i attended that this was not going to be a frog majority event. it was nice seeing faces i recognized and being recognized by some. nice frogs and tons of supplies. first i was surprised that the "major" or commercial vendors prices were not all that special compared to online prices. at least not the things i was looking for,(before everyone screams about how great this or that was priced). to me this was different from other hobby shows i attend regularly where deals are to be found everywhere you look
and i did stand back and observe how the reptile and frog crowds were noticeably different and how some of the reptile crowd was aloof,( or were they gakked out on crank). this is exactly the same things i see when attending other hobby shows that combine specialties. there is always the group that feels they are better or above others in parallel hobbies. good to see all hobbies appear to have the same hierarchy or caste system!
but i did have a good time and glad to talk to scott and mike, phil, derek and jason. and to meet jeremy and sean stewart. all had nice frogs and plants. but in the future i think i might stick to m.a.d.s. meetings and the like.

AG

Old 09-21-2010, 09:53 PM
TWI/ASN

Gary,

Yep...there is a marked difference between hobby meets like MADS and commercial "reptile" shows- even IAD.

Local shows are the best - no overhead, relaxed atmopshere, beer, wheeling and dealing. Trades.

Commercial "retail open to the public" shows are a bit more "stuffy". At $200.00 table, we have got to be able to recoup that and prices tend to be a little less flexable. Deals can STILL be had on Sundays. I see it every year.

I tried to trade a pum for a pum from another vendor and was told..."sorry...no trades only cash". Frog eat frog world sometimes...

Black jungle traveled from Mass with a huge truck and took up @ 6-8 tables - I would hate to see that expense list.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:24 PM

yeah i understand the overhead part of it. and the table expense. i have been at the "big flea's" at the same type of places. table prices are part of the cost of "doing business". there are certain shows i attend where a "dealer" friend of mine will typically rent 15-20 tables. and he manages to keep the costs reasonably lower than his internet store business. i just feel it is the mentality that ," this is the show of the year" therefore prices must reflect that if you do not buy your widgets here and now then they will never be available again.
and i agree wholeheartedly that beer makes everything that much nicer!

AG
Old 09-22-2010, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philsuma View Post
Scott,
Sounds like you are reporting a down-turn from last year? I concurr with the Sunday observation. Sunday is a really odd second day. I heard 50 / 50 of the vendors say that it was really good for them or really bad.
Don't get me wrong, I had my tables paid for before the doors opened from pre-sales. In that this is the only show I do in a year, I had expectations. Was it a glut of frogs available? I don't think so; each vendor offerred something different. There seemed to be a great deal of foot traffic on both days, so attendance probably wasn't it.
Take the Matecho for example--how many other vendors had them? Adults no less... Wasn't it just a few years ago when these guys made there way into the market? Its such a striking frog and I couldn't wait to get my hands on some...is my excitement that far off from the rest of the hobby?
Overall, I strongly support MARS and the great things it does with purchasing acres of land in South America and have always had a great response from those who purchase from me--I thank everyone who did so, and thank those who further my knowledge in this hobby. I was(am) just a bit confused with what people are looking for right now...
Scott
Old 09-22-2010, 01:06 AM

For me, it was a money issue. I saw your beautiful frogs. And many, many other beautiful frogs. How I wished I could afford them! But I had to limit myself to one purchase and had decided what that purchase would be before I left home. A sign of the times, I think.
Old 09-22-2010, 01:17 AM
TWI/ASN

I would have picked up some variabilis from you Scott, if I hadn't picked up a trio from Lee N. the day before....yet I was mainly on the lookout for pums!

Alex

toads.newts.tree frogs.dart frogs.geckos! I want a Vizsla next...
Old 09-22-2010, 01:32 AM

For me it is just a matter of space. I picked up some great frogs at the show, pair of Alanis, pair of red vents and 5 santa isabel anthonyi, I also got a trio of viper geckos and a pair of Australian Barking geckos. Saw lots of other frogs I would have loved to aquire but unfortunately I simply have no where to put them at the moment.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:00 AM
TWI/ASN

Quote:
Originally Posted by yours View Post
I would have picked up some variabilis from you Scott, if I hadn't picked up a trio from Lee N. the day before....yet I was mainly on the lookout for pums!

Alex
^This- those variabilis were well priced and I had one of those containers in my hands more than once... but after throwing down $200 on a college budget I had to back off for the day. I'd love to get my hands on some matechos, but frogs like that are simply way too expensive for my limited income.

Last edited by tclipse; 09-22-2010 at 06:02 AM.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:19 PM
TWI/ASN

I'm loving those variabilis Scott! The pair I got is really nice. I also saw your matechos, I would have taken a young pair from you if I had the space. I don't have any 20's or larger for them though, and I'm guessing they would like more space than just a 10 gallon (they were nice big frogs!) I was really tempted to pick up a pair or trio of the bakhuis or ensing tincs from Sean since they are a smaller type, but I thought I had spent enough. Now I wish I had gotten at least one more thing. I might just have to pick up another variabilis haha. Chris had some nice adult pumilio that I don't see too often (like sheppard's island- however you spell it) but unfortunately I was looking for a trio of bastis- one yellow, one red, and one orange. The banded intermedius and fants that Sean had looked cool, and the retics were nice, but I figured I should let my vivs grow in a little more before trying them.
Bryan
Old 09-23-2010, 04:49 AM

The prices were reasonable. I only purchased somewhere between 40.00 and 50.00 worth of plants and came home loaded with plants. Some of the frogs were tempting. I would have jumped on those orange terribilis Sean had but had found some a couple months earlier.

I do think the table price issue is something that should be addressed. Everyone noticed that the show is shrinking except for the amphibian end.