IAD at MARS this year! - Page 2 - Dendroboard
Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard > Miscellaneous > Regional Group & Event Announcements > NorthEast
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2010, 05:16 PM
TWI/ASN

Default Re: IAD at MARS this year!

I remember going to this show(not w/ IAD) for the very first time two years ago and it was amazing then..............I CANNOT imagine what it'll be like this time around!!!

Randy "E&K Best Buys" should be there too, yes?

I can't believe Sean will be there...that's awesome!!

I keep trying to find new nooks and crannies to put tanks in...hehehe....find a spot lately, to get my RED BASTI fix

Alex

toads.newts.tree frogs.dart frogs.geckos! I want a Vizsla next...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2010, 06:24 PM
TWI/ASN

Yep...although not on the vendor list yet...let's hope Randy and Chris Dulany get tables too.
Old 08-25-2010, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pa.walt View Post
so how may dart related vendors will be there. i looked at the vendor list and only reconized four. seems to me the ones that would do mars show are going to be at this one. so to me it seems like a mars show with the iad name tacked on.
nasty comments excepted.
Hey Vlad. The MARS show has always been a good amphibian show. Check some of the other Amphibian or Amphibian related ecology shows and see how many dart frog vendors will be there. Not many more than the MARS show. The only big thing that makes it IAD are the lectures on Friday night. Their are no field trips like in the old day. The auction will be donations from all vendors not just amphibian vendors. If you want a field trip their are great spots near by you could go in addition to the show.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:48 PM

I'll be vending with Richard Lynch. We will likely have 100+ darts, mostly tinc morphs. I will also have lots of Turkish gliders.
Old 08-25-2010, 08:30 PM
TWI/ASN

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyHuff View Post
I'll be vending with Richard Lynch. We will likely have 100+ darts, mostly tinc morphs. I will also have lots of Turkish gliders.

Awesome...we can finally hang out. I'll let you buy me a beer even! This event / show is "traditionally" a drinking event. We just have to remember to bring a stocked cooler to the auction. Last year, beers were even auctioned.

I have some Orange Basti's too, if you still need some. Some are sexable and I may even be able to put together a pair. I remember you were looking for some.
Old 08-27-2010, 04:52 PM
TWI/ASN

I sent Chris an email yesterday asking if he'll be there, so we'll see.....

THREE WEEKS away! Can't wait and can't believe it!!! Is everyone going to get some lunch together or something? We should plan something, for realzzz.....

Alex

Old 08-27-2010, 05:00 PM

I am most likely going to this show and what I can see it should be good. I'll probably be wearing a flyers shirt like I always do to these shows.

probably pick up a pumilio pair if I can..

[email protected]
Old 08-28-2010, 03:13 AM

I'll be there Friday and Sat. night. Just checking to see if anyone wants to split a room.

Thanks
Old 08-28-2010, 05:02 PM

I got my first darts last year at MARS, and I'll definitely be back this year. I'll probably be on the lookout for some Imis and Terriblis.

Can't wait!
Old 08-30-2010, 06:19 PM

I'm going to try to make it down, maybe head to NJ Thursday night, though it would be a long drive back to Boston on Sat. Anyone else from NE coming down for this?
Old 08-30-2010, 07:13 PM
TWI/ASN

Hah! Awesome Ray! I smell a beer/pizza party!!! Haha

Let's everyone organize a meeting place/lunch/get together....PHIL! Get this going please

Alex

PS - I spoke to Chris Dulany and he's going to be at the event too!

Old 08-30-2010, 08:19 PM
TWI/ASN

Quote:
Originally Posted by yours View Post
Hah! Awesome Ray! I smell a beer/pizza party!!! Haha

Let's everyone organize a meeting place/lunch/get together....PHIL! Get this going please

Alex

PS - I spoke to Chris Dulany and he's going to be at the event too!
Is Chris vending or just....attending?

ok....." Friday night after vendor set-up, “Reptiles” magazine will host an icebreaker outside in the Big Tent. There will be food, drinks, plus plenty of stories and schmoozing with fellow reptile enthusiasts."

This would be a great place to meet for all those who can make it for FRI. Remember...the free lectures.

if not...

Sat night is the AUCTION, I believe. Traditionally it provides @ 50 different Herps to include dart frogs and even some artwork and hobby items, vivariums and stuff. DO NOT miss this cool annual event.

After the auction.....we usually hit the pub. We can all plan this during the auction.

Again....try for Fri nite....failing that....SAT nite fer sure.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:25 PM
TWI/ASN

links:

MARS: The Mid-Atlantic Reptile Show and MARS Preservation Fund, Inc

just a hop away from the event and an awesome frog exhibit. Baltimore Aquarium....

Animals

This bookstore is directly across from the Aquarium and has a huge planted freshwater exhibit on the second floor.

Barnes & Noble - Power Plant, Baltimore MD
Old 08-30-2010, 09:29 PM
TWI/ASN

You're the man with the plan Phil! Question though: what do you guys do with the frogs you buy, when you're hitting up the bar at night? I will probably just be there Saturday but am not intending on staying the night....so you see my dilemma....

And when I did ask Chris if he was going to MARS, he responded with "Yep...MARS is planned."

Alex

Old 08-31-2010, 03:47 AM

most of the people that vendor end up bringing their frogs back to the hotel and stashing them away in a stable temp environment for the evening. others that come for the show and stay for the auction tend to bring coolers with cool packs to keep a stable temp ( only if needed ) during this time of year the evenings don't really provide dangerous temps for the frogs so there shouldn't be any worries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yours View Post
You're the man with the plan Phil! Question though: what do you guys do with the frogs you buy, when you're hitting up the bar at night? I will probably just be there Saturday but am not intending on staying the night....so you see my dilemma....

And when I did ask Chris if he was going to MARS, he responded with "Yep...MARS is planned."

Alex
Old 09-01-2010, 03:27 PM
Sponsor

I will be there vending the show as well. Should be a good time friday night with the vendor party going on. I will have the normal broms, brom packs, orchids, tropical plants, insects and supplies. Its going to be a long weekend but should be a great time. IAD in 07 was great and expect this to be better since the shows will be combined.
J
Old 09-01-2010, 04:16 PM
TWI/ASN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason DeSantis View Post
I will be there vending the show as well. Should be a good time friday night with the vendor party going on. I will have the normal broms, brom packs, orchids, tropical plants, insects and supplies. Its going to be a long weekend but should be a great time. IAD in 07 was great and expect this to be better since the shows will be combined.
J
Yep....07' was good - had some of the NE crowd in attendence. Some guys from out west.....even our own forum owner!

Good to see you re signed up Jason.

I'll have a bunch of the white Iso's and Orange Iso's. I'll save you some.
Old 09-01-2010, 04:37 PM

does anyone know if there will be vendors at iad from west of the mississippi coming to the show. i know microcosm is a week or two earlier so that might be a problem for the west coasters.
Old 09-01-2010, 05:39 PM
TWI/ASN

Man, I'm going to be picking up more frogs than I initially thought.....some vanzolini, sauvagii, more red eyes and tomopterna's, possible bri bri...etc etc etc......I don't know if I'll have enough POCKETS to put them all in!!!!!!!!!!

Hehe

Alex

Will anyone have Santa Isabel's there?

Old 09-01-2010, 06:56 PM
TWI/ASN

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCreptiles View Post
most of the people that vendor end up bringing their frogs back to the hotel and stashing them away in a stable temp environment for the evening. others that come for the show and stay for the auction tend to bring coolers with cool packs to keep a stable temp ( only if needed ) during this time of year the evenings don't really provide dangerous temps for the frogs so there shouldn't be any worries.

Traditionally....this is one of the best shows in terms of climate control for amphibians. there were no worries at all last year.

Vendors usually keep their animals in the building from Sat night to Sunday. Last year there was an overnight armed security guard with a glock.
Old 09-01-2010, 08:51 PM

Are their two people named Philip Payes? The Mid Atlantic Reptile Show website lists Philip Payes as a vendor. Farther down it lists Philip M. Payes as a vendor.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:44 PM

mike they are simese twins.so they have 2 tables next to each other. also that is why you have the m. in the name so you can tell which one is which. haha ha ha.
Old 09-03-2010, 02:56 AM
TWI/ASN

Mike Novy will NOT be in attendance. He'll be at the Hamburg show next month however...

Old 09-03-2010, 10:22 AM

Nobody out there want to share a room??? Phil, Ray, anyone??? Booked my room the other night and it is $99 a night even though the site says $84 for MARS.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:48 AM

Do you think it would be worth attending on Sunday, or will most of the good stuff be picked over? I'm stuck in a meeting all Fri and Sat, can't believe I'm going to miss most of this :-(
Old 09-03-2010, 01:20 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshH View Post
Do you think it would be worth attending on Sunday, or will most of the good stuff be picked over? I'm stuck in a meeting all Fri and Sat, can't believe I'm going to miss most of this :-(
I would think so. You will certainly have less of a frog selection but you most likely will get better deals. I always do this - if I want something specific then I go first thing on the first day, if I am just looking to pick something up and not to perticular about it I go late on the last day. I will most likely have almost the same amount of stuff saturday as I will sunday. I plan on bringing extra so the tables stay full.
J
Old 09-03-2010, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Nobody out there want to share a room??? Phil, Ray, anyone??? Booked my room the other night and it is $99 a night even though the site says $84 for MARS.
I'm really trying to come, just need to sort out the travel issue since I need to be back before 8am on Sunday for a faculty retreat on one of the Boston Harbor Islands.... if I'm not on the boat...haha.

Driving just seems crazy, since I would have to leave mid afternoon on Sat (though I could make Fri afternoon/night and Sat AM). However, flights from Boston-Baltimore are like 80$ roundtrip so that might work, though I would need to rent a car or find someone to give me a lift from the airport on Friday and back either by 3pm Sat or by like 6am on Sunday. Also at issue is the whole frogs by plane thing....argh.

To answer your question though, I think a few folks are looking to room - PM me for info
Old 09-04-2010, 01:33 PM

Stem,

I will not be attending but lived in Baltimore for 3 years and took the train several years when I didn't have a ride. You could fly into BWI and take the Lightrail north to either Timonium Business District (Hotels near by including the former location of IAD) or Timonium Fairgrounds (Drops you off just outside the West exit of the Fairgrounds near the 4H building).

By my count:

Flight $80
Hotel $99 unless shared
Train $1.60 from BWI on Friday (40-45min to Timonium via Lightrail - Just bring a book)
Train $1.60 to BWI on Saturday (Leave 2 hrs before Flight time and you should be fine)

MTA website: Maryland Transit Administration

If I had not just started my job I would be doing the same as listed above, enjoy and PM me if you have questions.
The Following User Says Thank You to widmad27 For This Useful Post:
Philsuma (09-06-2010)
Old 09-06-2010, 06:51 PM

The show is less than two weeks away and I am not seeing much hype about it...We are visiting friends in MD and will be there early Saturday. Hopefully there's a good turn out!

Mike
Welcome to the home of
Old 09-06-2010, 08:08 PM
TWI/ASN

Quote:

I got a fold up cot and may be able to split or go in on a room (last time in Baltimore with Mike and Julio, I slept on the floor)

Gonna have to play it by ear as I'm only 1.2 hours NW from the venue. If we end up throwing down some adult beverages - yes.

btw...you or anyone else is welcome to check out my collection, if we can fit it in around the show.

This show may not be getting the "frog press", especially since Ron did such a great job with Microcosm, but rest assured.....this show will be one you will be glad you attended.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:40 AM

Will have the following
Azureus, froglets and adult females
Cobalts, froglets
Bakhuis Mtn, froglets
Oyapok, froglets
Giant Orange, froglets
Alanis, adults
Leucomelas, standard and banded
Variabilis, froglets
Flies, wingless and Turkish gliders
Old 09-07-2010, 01:31 AM
TWI/ASN

I can bring the MALE nominal imitator and PROVEN FEMALE gold dust bastimentos, if anyone's interested! Let me know...

Alex

Old 09-07-2010, 01:45 AM

Quote:
When I called for a room, I got the $99 quote. I asked about the price since the event site says $84. She looked it up and said, 'Oh yea, it is $84, it was $99 last year.'

Maybe should call back and ask them to check that price.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:04 PM

we will be there when the doors open saturday morning. we are looking for some mint terribilis if anyone is bringing any.

AG
Old 09-07-2010, 07:35 PM

Hey guys I will be in attendance

Im looking for an adult female Dendrobates tinctorius 'OleMarie' Preferably with the colbalt pattern.
Im also looking for standard leucamelas 5-10 months old as Im already expecting 2 at 7+ months old. Id like to find a 3rd yet.

Im also looking for some plants yet

Pilea SP Sawtooth AKA Dark Mystery and Antone used to sell it as P. involucrata
Macodes petola
Dossinia marmorata
Selaginella SP Ecuador Green form
Selaginella SP Ecuador Bronze form

Anybody has anything on my list please let me know!
And if anyone is looking for specifics plants please PM me your wishlist and Ill see if I have it to spare!!!

Josh Im srry to hear you are going to miss this!

Im really looking forward to this... As I remember I havent been to a show since IAD 2007..!!!

Todd
Old 09-07-2010, 08:33 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartfrogfreak View Post
Hey guys I will be in attendance

Im looking for an adult female Dendrobates tinctorius 'OleMarie' Preferably with the colbalt pattern.
Im also looking for standard leucamelas 5-10 months old as Im already expecting 2 at 7+ months old. Id like to find a 3rd yet.

Im also looking for some plants yet

Pilea SP Sawtooth AKA Dark Mystery and Antone used to sell it as P. involucrata
Macodes petola
Dossinia marmorata
Selaginella SP Ecuador Green form
Selaginella SP Ecuador Bronze form

Anybody has anything on my list please let me know!
And if anyone is looking for specifics plants please PM me your wishlist and Ill see if I have it to spare!!!

Josh Im srry to hear you are going to miss this!

Im really looking forward to this... As I remember I havent been to a show since IAD 2007..!!!

Todd
Todd, I will be at the show but dont have anything from your list. If you want to trade any plants feel free to bring some and come by my table. I am always looking for something new.
J
Old 09-07-2010, 11:21 PM

Sounds like a plan to me.

Todd
Old 09-08-2010, 12:52 AM

man this show sounds like its going to be killer

well available on the table will be of course a nice variety of springtails and woodlice along with frog and reptile supply's anything from supplements to heat pads all the way through different types of light bulbs. some books on a variety of reptiles and not sure yet on the list of frogs but most likely veradero, intermedius, azureus, vents, imitators, ect... stop by the table say hi and of course trades are welcome!
Old 09-08-2010, 02:51 AM

We should have name tags for Dendroboard members so we will recognize each other in the crowd.
Old 09-08-2010, 03:00 AM

Agreed. Name tags would be a good idea

Todd