• 2 Post By Socratic Monologue
  • 2 Post By Socratic Monologue
  • 2 Post By Herpin Man
  • 4 Post By Socratic Monologue
  • 1 Post By Ravage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2019, 09:57 PM

Default Newt eggs, dead??? Help!

hello! on February first, I acquired a sack of California newt eggs. When I got them the sack was very clear, and I could see the little brown dots that were the embryos. About a week ago they started to elongate and look more tadpole like, and not like little circles. A few days later, they started to move and wiggle a little and would completely turn around in their eggs. But in the first couple days of them elongating in the egg, I noticed one side of the sack had a little fur like mold on it. I didn't want to disturb the eggs, so I left it alone and kept an eye on it. About when they started moving, the mold got bigger and I decided to investigate. I used feeding tongs to gently pry at the mold, but nothing happened, it didn't come off or anything, so I left it alone. The day after they started moving, I came to check on them and they haven't moved since. This was about 5 days ago, and since then the mold has spread to most of the sack and it is very hard to see into it. It looks like the embryos have grown a little bigger, but nothing other than that. this afternoon when I went to look at them, I noticed a brown spot on most of the embryos in the eggs. Some of them still resemble circles rather than tadpoles, but I didn't see them since they were behind the others. They are in a 10 gallon tank with about 4-5 inches of cold water, and I do a water change every few days, very carefully to ensure it doesn't bother them. There are a few rocks but it its bare bottom with nothing else living in it right now. The water I use is either collected rain water or water that has been treated and dechlorinated. I have raised frog tadpoles with no difficulty, what changed with the newts? Are they dead?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2019, 10:27 PM

Default Re: Newt eggs, dead??? Help!

I was under the impression that Taricha torosa isn't legal for possession in California.

It isn't listed on the take list here:

http://www.californiaherps.com/info/herpinglaws.html
Old 02-17-2019, 10:44 PM

I was not aware of this. I was planning on releasing them upon them transforming anyhow. It is possible that they are rough skinned, as their habitats overlap.

Old 02-17-2019, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floppysquirrel04 View Post
I was not aware of this. I was planning on releasing them upon them transforming anyhow. It is possible that they are rough skinned, as their habitats overlap.
You need to be very familiar with native herp laws before you go out collecting.

Releasing animals that have spent time in captivity is very frowned upon as well.
chericollins likes this.
Old 02-17-2019, 10:51 PM

well thanks for your help
Old 02-18-2019, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratic Monologue View Post
Releasing animals that have spent time in captivity is very frowned upon as well.
I misspoke somewhat; it appears that in California this is in fact illegal.

From the regulations:

"(e) Reptiles or amphibians which have been in captivity, including wild-caught and captively-bred individuals or offspring, shall not be released into the wild without the written approval of the department. "

It boggles the mind that someone who lives in California -- a place that is known even to us Midwesterners as having very stringent herp regulations -- wouldn't think to look this up before doing it numerous times, as you imply. I even told you this in a recent thread of yours:

Quote:
You likely can't sell them (because of native wildlife laws) or give them away (no one wants them), and you can't release the offspring (disease risk, possible legal issues).
Woodswalker and chericollins like this.
Old 02-18-2019, 04:42 PM

Quote:
I was not aware of this.
Quote:
It boggles the mind that someone who lives in California -- a place that is known even to us Midwesterners as having very stringent herp regulations -- wouldn't think to look this up
Another clarification: you are familiar with California's wildlife laws, at least as they relate to the flying squirrel you illegally keep (or kept):

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...mells-TERRIBLE

This is the thread in which you are doubting that you can bring your sick flying squirrel to the vet lest it be confiscated, because your possession of it is illegal and you know it.

In this same thread you ask whether you should get another flying squirrel to live together with the first (sick) one -- another illegal animal that cannot get veterinary care if it should ever need it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2019-02-18 at 11.25.21 AM.jpg (62.2 KB, 13 views)
adamm and chericollins like this.

Last edited by Socratic Monologue; 02-18-2019 at 04:46 PM.
Old 02-18-2019, 05:05 PM

Legal or illegal, PLEASE do not release these newts into the wild! You could introduce chytrid or other disease, you could pollute the genetics of the local population....... just don't do it. The release of amphibians where they don't belong has already devastated certain populations, and is one of the major threats to the herp hobby that we currently face.
Old 02-18-2019, 05:22 PM

dude, whats your problem? leave me alone. i asked a question and if you don't want to answer, attacking me is not going to get you anywhere you want. i was also going to release them where i got them.

Last edited by Floppysquirrel04; 02-18-2019 at 05:32 PM.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:44 PM

Quote:
dude, whats your problem?
My problem is that the violation of wildlife laws is bad for the wildlife that those laws protect. I care about wildlife. You pretend to. Clear enough?

Quote:
i asked a question and if you don't want to answer, attacking me is not going to get you anywhere you want.
Is 'pointing out that you are a repeat, unrepentant violator of wildlife laws' the same as 'attacking'? I'm curious.

Quote:
i was also going to release them where i got them.
The law (and the risks) do not change based on this claim of yours.
Old 02-19-2019, 11:55 PM

Quote:
i was also going to release them where i got them.
Please don't.
chericollins likes this.
Old 03-06-2019, 03:25 PM

It is probably to late for this answer. To fight fungus put a couple dried oak leaves, some alder cones, or methylene blue in the water with the eggs.
Old 03-06-2019, 11:09 PM

I agree with all the points above. I purchase a permit (fishing license) before i go and collect any native herps (I live in CA). I collect Batrachoseps Major Major as a side hobby (Batrachoseps, such a wonderful genus with a beautiful example of speciation). Legally obtainable animals and the money will go into conservation or w.e. fish & wildlife dept decide. Just abide by the law in the future thats all.

As for the question. I have raised African Dwarf frogs, fully aquatic animals whos eggs must stay fully submerged. You will get "die offs" or unfertilized that will produce mold, biofilm etc. With any fully aquatic spawning herps i would ALWAYS include almond leaf. This is the difference between life & death for eggs that must remain in water. Also waterchange every few days is not enough. DAILY water changes of at lease 1/3. There will be deaths and this will no doubt contaminate the water.

So

1. Almond leaf
2. Remove the dead
3. 1/3 water change daily.

Good luck and just take this thread as a lesson in for the future. We all care about wildlife and part of that is being responsible with all animals but especially native/protected wildlife.