facebook

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By fishingguy12345
  • 2 Post By Encyclia
  • 1 Post By bulbophyllum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2020, 05:40 PM

Default oophaga pumilio blue jeans

Hi guys. So after doing about 4 months of research I created my on vivarium 18x18x36 for a pair of Strawberry Blue Jeans. Although I am a beginner and some people don't recommend pumilio I choose this breed because of the easier tadpole care, where the parents do the work untill the become froglets. I know 100% that the tank is all set up to as perfect as it can be. I created the background using pond expanding foam and grade 1 silicone (aquarium silicone). I work at a plant nursery so substrate, plants, and false bottom are all chemical free and organic (except the substrate barrier which is made from 100% recycled plastic). The plants were even isolated for a month and 1/2 to make sure they're were no bugs or disease on them. Since of corona I can mist the tank constantly keeping the humidity level above 80% and temperature at 75f. I purchased 2 oophaga pumilio from Big Apple Herp and open arrival one was almost dead and died within a few hours and the other seemed "ok" although it didn't move around in the tank. After arguing with the company for about a day, I did get a replacement frog a week later even though I still had to pay shipping of $50. Overall, I spent more then $200 on these frogs. Today I smelt something bad in the tank and sure enough another frog was dead. I don't know why. The only thing I can think of was the frog that original died had a disease that spread to the second frog. Any ideas, any places better to get oophaga pumilio blue jeans? Has anyone else had troubles with Big Apple Herp? Let me know please!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2020, 06:27 PM

Default Re: oophaga pumilio blue jeans

Welcome, I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience with your purchase. It sounds like they might have gotten too hot or too cold during shipping, or they had a medical issue of some sort.

I would recommend posting pictures of your setup for people to provide advice on.

If it was me, I'd be removing and cleaning everything in the tank before I put any other frogs in. Just in case there was a parasite/virus/etc. left behind
Socratic Monologue likes this.
Old 09-16-2020, 07:00 PM
Mod

Can you tell us if these were wild caught frogs or were they captive bred?

To other posters, as a reminder, please PM Moore18 with any experience you have had with Big Apple Herp and don't post to this thread.

Thanks,

Mark

Last edited by Encyclia; 09-16-2020 at 08:29 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Encyclia For This Useful Post:
fishingguy12345 (09-16-2020)

Old 09-17-2020, 12:23 PM

From looking at their web site the frogs were most likely wild caught.
Encyclia likes this.