Go Back   Dendroboard > Rules & Community Messages > New Members Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2020, 10:41 PM

Default Hello! New old guy here!

Very new to this board and basically, Iím new old stock! Huh? Iím an old guy and I probably had my first aquarium in like 1970. Terrariums a year or so later. I can remember using an old stereo cabinet with a glass door as a vertical terrarium. There was a place near where I lived that sold Plexiglas and they had several 4X8 foot sheets that were very thin with some cracks and some were broken. I remember I got them for cheap and after I bought them, I saw the stereo cabinet sitting in a yard ready for the trash, so I snatched it up. Used the acrylic to line the entire inside of the cabinet and sealed it with aquarium sealant. Had a plastic tub in the bottom with water and a small hang-on aquarium filter on it and another one set up as a big plant pot with some rocks and potting soil in it. That part (no real drainage) didnít do too well but the water area wasnít too bad. Didnít put fish or turtles in it but there were anoles and green tree frogs in the enclosure. I think I had it set up for about a year but there ended up being more plastic plants than real ones by the end.
Itís been close to 35 years since I had a terrarium but about 15 years ago I had a 20L aquarium set up for a couple of years for my son when he was young and I recently found it stashed in the attic still in good shape. I almost threw it away because I knew I didnít want an aquarium again. By chance I saw something about terrariums online and started to research the idea of having a plant terrarium. Soon I saw the intriguing term ďbio-activeĒ and once I delved into that I knew I wanted to try one. I have to say I am amazed at how far the terrarium/vivarium/paludarium hobby has come. I really want to compliment all of you who have made this possible by a lot of hard work and trail and error. It is hard to believe that hobbyists are keeping Poison Dart Frogs and that they are thriving so much that they are being breed in captivity regularly by home hobbyists. In the early 80ís (the last time I had a terrarium set up) I imagine if you told most people we would be keeping and breeding Dart Frogs in home terrariums you would have been laughed out of polite society.

Any way I am really pleased and honored to be a part of this hobby and most especially this board. I hope to learn a lot and maybe even be able to make a contribution or two. I have the 20L started (about 3 weeks now) and just added some springtails and isopods this week to help it cycle. Hopefully in a few more weeks Iíll have some Darts in it! Thanks for having me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2020, 09:13 PM

Default Re: Hello! New old guy here!

Check out my tree

Last edited by LOS122; 03-27-2020 at 09:20 PM.
Old 03-27-2020, 09:33 PM

Default Re: Hello! New old guy here!