Dendroboard banner

First Paludarium filtration help!

703 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  kblack3 
#1 ·
Hi everybody,
Thank you for reading. I'm in the UK and looking to setup my first paludarium. I've bought an 18x18x18 ExoTerra and intend to keep Dendrobates Azeurus and a small shoal of tetras. I've got 35 years experience with tropical fish but zero experience with frogs! My question is regarding using the land section and false bottom as biological and mechanical filtration. Any practical advice? The water will be pumped up via a small internal filter, over a waterfall then hopefully returned through the land section as media. This I'm hoping will also benefit the plants with the roots utilising whatever nutrients they can. Any advice or pictures of how to achieve this is greatly welcome. :)

#2 ·
There is only enough floor space in an 18 x 18 for the tincs (some keepers would say that's not even enough space...). There isn't room for a water area and frogs. Also, your water processing plan would also make the substrate way, way too wet for frogs. Also again, that substrate won't support microfauna, nor will it keep a leaf litter layer for the frogs to live in/graze in.

The sensible path is to set up a fish tank for the fish, and a frog viv for the frogs. Both will be much better off. :)

#3 ·
I am still a frog virgin but for the filtration canister with UV and back flush capabilities is the best for minimizing algae and ease of cleaning. But based on years of reading on this forum I would defer to above. Or at least get a much larger footprint to give adequate space for both. Also remember a 2” substrate layer plus a few inches of water would leave very little height in that system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.