Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mini Leopard

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2020, 06:11 PM

Default Ranitomeya in Oregon

As a Dendroboard requirement, I'm attempting my first thread. I would like to thank all of the dedicated people on the board for their vast knowledge, some through trial and error from the earlier years, to help a new hobbyist like myself. There hasn't been one problem or potential problem that hasn't been discussed and I refer to DB all of the time. Also a big shout to Mike from Rain Forest in WA state. Mike as spent hours on the phone with me, hours up at shows and stocked me with all the right supplies and correct animal husbandry with these frogs. Anyone in the Northwest needing supplies, please give Rainforest a shout. While Mike is going through his treatments, the family could use your support. His cultures are healthy and numerous per container. Great people.
I went right into the thumbnails, they are such a joy to watch and work with. My first frogs out of a shipping box were Fantastica, a 2.2 and I don't regret that choice, none whatsoever. My collection today consists of Varadero Imitators, Vanzolinii (understory), Arena Blanco, Green Imitators, Fantastic Monte Cristo and a pair of Sirensis "highland" on their way from Josh's frogs. In fact, they currently have about 10 pairs left, just odd finding a pair being offered through them. Maybe someone knows the line as they were brought in via their CBP from a different breeder?
With the corona virus, there is a lot of bad news. Heck I'm home from work today because of it. The frog room is just a great way to get away from so much negative news, holding up while the virus runs it coarse. Great hobby with so much potential to advance and share.
Doug
Socratic Monologue likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2020, 07:22 PM

Default Re: Ranitomeya in Oregon

Welcome aboard, sounds like you have quite a nice collection already:-)
Old 03-18-2020, 09:22 PM

Thank you, I'm sure my tastes are similar to most that keep Ranitomeya. I see how easy it could be to collect so many different types available but planning to stand pat and work with what I have. I've been lucky to pair most of these off and they are trouble free, each pair with their own enclosures. I do have two Amazonica Arena Blanco groups a 1.2 with solid back markings together and a 1.1 that are striped, paired off. Its funny, people have described Ranitomeya Reticula as being the same as Arena Blanca with a striped Reticula and solid back being offered. Working with two groups, I plan on crossing the solid back with the striped to keep the bloodlines honest. These frogs came directly from Understory last year. No line breeding intended, just prefer seeing them look the same in my pairings.

Old 03-18-2020, 09:24 PM

meant to say Ranitomeya Reticulata...
Old 03-18-2020, 09:34 PM

Welcome!

Your collection is not entirely unlike mine (R. imitator 'green' and 'Chazuta', UE R. vanzolinii, UE R. sirensis 'Rio Pachitea').

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini Leopard View Post
Its funny, people have described Ranitomeya Reticula as being the same as Arena Blanca with a striped Reticula and solid back being offered.
Yep, R. amazonica and R. reticulata are thought to be Muellerian mimics.

- Whitman
Old 03-18-2020, 10:40 PM

No doubt very similar, all these subtle nuances between species/morphs is simply fascinating to study and learn about.