Go Back   Dendroboard > Rules & Community Messages > New Members Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2020, 05:20 AM

Unhappy First post from a troubled newbie

Hello all - excited to keep exploring this site and learning. I have a unique and less-than-ideal situation for the frogs that I already own.

Quick rundown: my girlfriend and father surprised me with a gift of two tincs that they purchased from an expo in early September. The problem is they didn't do their research, and I don't think the vendor at the expo was very reputable.

They came home with two tincs of two different morphs (a power blue and one that looks like either a citronella or maybe a nikita, but was labeled as a cobalt), a 12x12x12 exo terra tank, no plants, an analog thermometer and hygrometer, fruit flies, a light, a spray bottle, dechlorinator, and some sphagnum moss. Plants, substrate, LECA false bottom, leaf litter, and a cocohut were on order (cheaper I guess than at expo) and arrived shortly after. Got some wood from a local store too for climbing. Froglets (or maybe juvis?) moved in right away. To keep humidity up we cut some plexiglass and covered the screen at the top. Still though, it didn't take a lot of online research to see that we were in trouble.

We eventually upgraded to a 24x18x18 exo terra tank viv with a new setup (substrate/plants/wood/etc.), but we still had issues. We still had the mixed morph tincs living together, and the powder blue was growing noticeably less than the other frog. Probably the worst thing was that it was actually a few months before we even realized we needed to be dusting the flies! It sounds horrible to admit that we were so recklessly unprepared.

About two months ago, we lost the power blue - went too long without vitamins as a froglet, and towards the end seemed to be eating less than the other frog and was just starting to look a little underweight.

Oh and the kicker - shortly before this point, thinking we were doing well now, we bought 3 imitators. They are currently housed in the old 12 cube viv (which was not teared down and cleaned prior to adding them), but I hope to move them to a larger viv as soon as I can. They were shy at first but very recently have become more active and visible.

Needless to say my confidence in keeping darts has been shaken and I fear that there are other issues we have yet to discover, but that I hope to for the sake of the frogs. Any and all help appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2020, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashlash View Post
Hello all - excited to keep exploring this site and learning. I have a unique and less-than-ideal situation for the frogs that I already own.

Quick rundown: my girlfriend and father surprised me with a gift of two tincs that they purchased from an expo in early September. The problem is they didn't do their research, and I don't think the vendor at the expo was very reputable.

They came home with two tincs of two different morphs (a power blue and one that looks like either a citronella or maybe a nikita, but was labeled as a cobalt), a 12x12x12 exo terra tank, no plants, an analog thermometer and hygrometer, fruit flies, a light, a spray bottle, dechlorinator, and some sphagnum moss. Plants, substrate, LECA false bottom, leaf litter, and a cocohut were on order (cheaper I guess than at expo) and arrived shortly after. Got some wood from a local store too for climbing. Froglets (or maybe juvis?) moved in right away. To keep humidity up we cut some plexiglass and covered the screen at the top. Still though, it didn't take a lot of online research to see that we were in trouble.

We eventually upgraded to a 24x18x18 exo terra tank viv with a new setup (substrate/plants/wood/etc.), but we still had issues. We still had the mixed morph tincs living together, and the powder blue was growing noticeably less than the other frog. Probably the worst thing was that it was actually a few months before we even realized we needed to be dusting the flies! It sounds horrible to admit that we were so recklessly unprepared.

About two months ago, we lost the power blue - went too long without vitamins as a froglet, and towards the end seemed to be eating less than the other frog and was just starting to look a little underweight.

Oh and the kicker - shortly before this point, thinking we were doing well now, we bought 3 imitators. They are currently housed in the old 12 cube viv (which was not teared down and cleaned prior to adding them), but I hope to move them to a larger viv as soon as I can. They were shy at first but very recently have become more active and visible.

Needless to say my confidence in keeping darts has been shaken and I fear that there are other issues we have yet to discover, but that I hope to for the sake of the frogs. Any and all help appreciated.
Welcome, I’m new here myself but this place is an absolute font of knowledge & that is your quest.

Props to you for reaching out & engaging. My only advice would be to slow down, take stock of what you currently have & submerge yourself in researching what you need to do to make sure these frogs not just survive but thrive.

Address the housing issues, research dietary requirements, make sure you are supplementing correctly, research, research & research & if you can’t find the answers then ask the questions 🙂
Old 02-01-2020, 06:09 PM
Mod

Default Re: First post from a troubled newbie

You learned some beginner lessons the hard way, and in that regard, you are not alone. Happy to see you on the forum now, where you have access to tons of GOOD info, frogs from reputable breeders, and plenty of keepers to bounce ideas off of.

Old 02-03-2020, 11:13 PM

Default Re: First post from a troubled newbie

I'm sorry to hear you started off so roughly. However, you seem to have a good understanding of your situation, and that makes a big difference. Some people rush into the hobby, get in over their heads, and bail soon after. That you are willing to slow down and seek more information suggests that you have the right attitude for future success. I'm also glad you found your way here.