Originally Posted by Hellsrage
Still wishing there was something as in-depth for vivs as you'll find for planted aquariums.
A couple thoughts:
- There are 100x more people keeping planted aquaria than dart frogs, and many more planted tank people are serious cheapska...uh...I mean financially responsible. Not that DIY is always about doing things on the cheap, but that is often a motivation (although not typically a result, in my lengthy experience of DIY aquarium stuff). The educational aspect of DIY you mention is worth all the money thrown in the trash by failed DIY attempts, so I'm hesitantly pro DIY anyway.
- Growing plants in a dart viv is much
more straightforward than planted tanks. Plants + whatever light + some water = a tolerably decent planted viv. No algae issues, lighting calculations dependent on ferts and CO2 parameters, effects of water clarity. There's just not as much to be discussed about viv lighting. Any LEDs will work, pretty much.
- Are some of the planted tank builds useful models for what you're trying to do? Kinda the same thing.
Something I wanted to mention earlier when you asked about lighting a tall viv: dart frogs don't like bright light. In most darts' natural environment, it is pretty dim on the ground, and there are no plants growing on ~98% of the substrate (the other 2% is tree trunks and little straggly stemmy plants with umbrella leaves that block even more light). Darts generally don't appreciate ground cover plants (moss, etc).
So, if a person wants to set up a 36" tall viv for dart frogs
, punching lighting down to the substrate isn't an issue. If a person wants to build what counts as a 'pretty' viv and get likes on YouTube and all that, then yeah go nuts on the lights.