Hello from Ontario Canada - Dendroboard
Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard > Rules & Community Messages > New Members Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By fishingguy12345

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 09-13-2019, 02:40 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 23
Thanks: 5
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Hello from Ontario Canada

I'm new here and new to dart frogs. I am not new to vivariums however as I have several for my crested geckos. I am new to vivariums for dart frogs however so I am sure I will be asking some questions. I am hoping to get my frogs this weekend at the Canadian Pet Expo and Reptile show in Mississauga. If anyone knows of some really good breeders that I should check out at the show please let me know. I am looking for advice on what I should get for my first frogs. I would love to have a male and female and hopefully breed them eventually.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 09-14-2019, 11:59 AM
fishingguy12345's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 370
Thanks: 17
Thanked 27 Times in 27 Posts
Default Re: Hello from Ontario Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugwinkleca View Post
I'm new here and new to dart frogs. I am not new to vivariums however as I have several for my crested geckos. I am new to vivariums for dart frogs however so I am sure I will be asking some questions. I am hoping to get my frogs this weekend at the Canadian Pet Expo and Reptile show in Mississauga. If anyone knows of some really good breeders that I should check out at the show please let me know. I am looking for advice on what I should get for my first frogs. I would love to have a male and female and hopefully breed them eventually.
Welcome aboard!

Understory Enterprises will be at the show in Toronto today . They will likely have a wonderful selection available and plants and other vivarium supplies :-) you'll find lots of things you want
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 09-14-2019, 05:58 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 23
Thanks: 5
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Hello from Ontario Canada

Any suggestions for a first frog. I would like something quite bold and out and about during the day.
Reply With Quote
 
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 09-14-2019, 08:49 PM
Socratic Monologue's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Central WI
Posts: 1,382
Thanks: 64
Thanked 167 Times in 159 Posts
Default Re: Hello from Ontario Canada

I really think that you should plan to spend more time researching species than one day (the expo is today and tomorrow, I see). A lot depends on your viv, too, details of which only you know at this point.

You'll also likely be best to culture FFs for at least a couple weeks so you have a steady supply.

Expos are fun for looking, too. You don't have to buy your frogs there this weekend -- breeders will ship to you.
__________________
I think I could turn and live with animals, they are so placid and self-contain'd.

- Whitman
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 09-14-2019, 10:05 PM
fishingguy12345's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 370
Thanks: 17
Thanked 27 Times in 27 Posts
Default Re: Hello from Ontario Canada

If you're in Southern Ontario you can also drive to meet up with understory enterprises to buy frogs in the future.
Socratic Monologue likes this.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 09-15-2019, 11:18 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 23
Thanks: 5
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Hello from Ontario Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratic Monologue View Post
I really think that you should plan to spend more time researching species than one day (the expo is today and tomorrow, I see). A lot depends on your viv, too, details of which only you know at this point.

You'll also likely be best to culture FFs for at least a couple weeks so you have a steady supply.

Expos are fun for looking, too. You don't have to buy your frogs there this weekend -- breeders will ship to you.
Thanks, I have been researching frogs for much longer than one day. I was just looking for advice from those that have kept darts for a long period of time as to which dart they would suggest for a first frog. As for the FF, I do plan to make my own but in the mean time I will be purchasing from our local reptile store. I also have several springtail cultures that I use for my gecko tanks.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 09-17-2019, 12:42 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 81
Thanks: 4
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Default Re: Hello from Ontario Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugwinkleca View Post
Any suggestions for a first frog. I would like something quite bold and out and about during the day.
Did you end up getting anything at the expo? D. leucomelas is a killer frog. Bold, group tolerant, loud call and pretty easy in terms of care parameters.

I kept a few species before I finally got around to them but now I don't know why I waited years on these.

*And yeah -- if you're in Ontario, go with Understory Enterprises.

Last edited by Fahad; 09-17-2019 at 12:43 PM. Reason: Addition to post.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 09-17-2019, 01:50 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 23
Thanks: 5
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Hello from Ontario Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fahad View Post
Did you end up getting anything at the expo? D. leucomelas is a killer frog. Bold, group tolerant, loud call and pretty easy in terms of care parameters.

I kept a few species before I finally got around to them but now I don't know why I waited years on these.

*And yeah -- if you're in Ontario, go with Understory Enterprises.
No I didn't end up getting anything at the expo. There were no fruit flies to be had on Sunday. They were all sold out so I decided to wait on the frogs and get my cultures up and running. I can feed the flies to my fish until I get some dart frogs. I did go to the Understory Enterprises booth and they were totally out of the Leucomelas. They really didn't have a lot left and I was there early Sunday morning. They did have some Yellow Aurotaenia available and they looked pretty cool. My favourite right now are the Azureus. Mostly because of the color of the Azureus. They did have some of them available as well.

The only thing is they only seem to sell the young unsexed frogs and I would really prefer to buy three sexed frogs. You know two females and a male or even just a breeding male and female. I really think it would suck to buy three and find out I have all males. Then i would have to go searching for a sexed female. Probably not the easiest thing to find. In order to buy young and hopefully get a breeding pair I would probably have to buy at least 5 and that gets a bit pricey. And of course still no guarantee.

There is another expo on October 6th so I guess I'll have to figure out if I want to go with babies or search for sexed frogs.

Your thoughts and advice would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 03:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.