Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 406miles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2019, 10:26 PM

Default Hello from Louisiana!

Hello all!! I'm new here and new to frogs as well. I come from the Saltwater hobby. I got super tired of the tumultuous ups and downs of reef keeping. Plus the extreme cost of the hobby as a whole. My AC went out and couldn't be fixed for a week and I lost a lot of money because I didn't have a chiller. I broke the tank down and erased every memory of it lol. I don't really have much to start with right now. I'm only as far as a 29 gallon and a finished background. I went with Great stuff and coco fiber. The adhesive for the coco fiber was titebond III and I sealed all edges with aquarium sealant to keep moisture from getting behind the background. I'm currently in the process of letting it sit for 2 weeks to ensure the fumes don't cause any problems. My next purchase is lighting (still torn about which one to get) and probably will pick the mistking up at the same time. After I get the light and mistking my only hurdle is procuring a day off from work to drive to Houston and visit the bio dude to pick up everything. I'll post some pictures once it's set up. I figure I probably won't have frogs in it until around Christmas. Maybe after the first of the year. Look forward to getting to know everyone here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2019, 08:22 PM
Mod

Default Re: Hello from Louisiana!

Hi Greg, where in Louisiana are you located, and what are you looking for that would require you to travel to Houston? There are several keepers here on the state that can probably point you in the direction to a local source of what you need.
Old 09-14-2019, 03:14 PM

Lake Charles. I was currently looking for the starting materials not frogs just yet. I won't be adding the frogs until around Christmas. I plan on giving the ecosystem some time to establish. I currently need a light, drainage layer, soil layer, spag moss layer and leaf litter layer and also all the plants. I also need the CUC various sorts of bugs and what not.

Old 09-14-2019, 03:22 PM

Heck yeah. I'd like to not have to drive to Houston. But I'm kind of in a strange spot here in Lake Charles. We are about 2 hours away from anything good when it comes to "exotic" pets. It's two hours to Baton Rouge and about the exact same to Houston. We have big box pet stores but I only buy my glass from there. I did end up asking for a day off. I'm getting everything this Monday. The tank has been sitting just 3 days shy of 2 weeks and I put the glass lid on and checked it this morning and there were no fumes. HERPS is having a show here in LC in the first week of November. I may use that opportunity to pick up the frogs if the tank is maturing along nicely.

Last edited by Greg1987; 09-14-2019 at 03:42 PM.
Old 09-16-2019, 12:29 AM

I got my entire tank setup from the Bio Dude at a local show. It's only been a week but I have been very happy with the setup and I can tell you, if you can wait until a show, you'll get amazing pricing.
Greg1987 likes this.
Old 09-18-2019, 02:35 PM

I got it set up on Monday. Ended up making the drive and visiting the Bio dude. Wasn't too bad of a drive. Took the top off the jeep and made a day out of it. The bio dude is pretty cool I must say. All of the employees were super helpful and his selection of things at the storefront was overwhelming. I am VERY satisfied and can't wait to get my tinc in there. I'm waiting a month thought. Just to let the roots establish themselves and let the critters I dumped in there get settled in.
Old 09-23-2019, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaff View Post
Hi Greg, where in Louisiana are you located, and what are you looking for that would require you to travel to Houston? There are several keepers here on the state that can probably point you in the direction to a local source of what you need.

Hey Spaff, I'm going to be in Baton Rouge in Mid October. I was looking into picking up a pair of Lucs. Do you know of anyone selling any froglets in the area? I tried to PM you but I can barely do anything on this site. I can't visit the market, can't edit my profile, can't PM. I don't know what's up. Maybe I haven't made enough posts yet.